Gary Walrath

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately Gary had quit competing about the time I built my first 500 Honda Hotsaw, so I never got to ran againist him. Would have like to though!

To give you a comparison, 2 of the 500's I've built and run, made cuts in 24" pine in under the 2.01 that he claims as a World record. I cut a 1.94 one day and Rolin Eslinger using my spare 500 cut a 1.84 in 24" pine the following day at Grassvalley, Ca, in 2003. In 2006 I built another 500 Honda Hotsaw for Mikey Forrester from Glide, Oregon. His first cut on Sat. broke the chain, his next cut on Sun. broke the World record in 27" cottonwood, 2.44 seconds.

Still, I want to give Gary credit where credits due! He was the man to beat when he was racing, but now days I think my 500's would give him a race!

Dennis Cahoon

500MyrtleCreek028.jpg

Last edited:
nice!!

Unfortunately Gary had quit competing about the time I built my first 500 Honda Hotsaw, so I never got to ran againist him. Would have like to though!

To give you a comparison, 2 of the 500's I've built and run, made cuts in 24" pine in under the 2.01 that he claims as a World record. I cut a 1.94 one day and Rolin Eslinger using my spare 500 cut a 1.84 in 24" pine the following day at Grassvalley, Ca, in 2003. In 2006 I built another 500 Honda Hotsaw for Mikey Forrester from Glide, Oregon. His first cut on Sat. broke the chain, his next cut on Sun. broke the World record in 27" cottonwood, 2.44 seconds.

Still, I want to give Gary credit where credits due! He was the man to beat when he was racing, but now days I think my 500's would give him a race!

Dennis Cahoon

500MyrtleCreek028.jpg

That is one nice lookin' saw!:rock: What pitch chain are you running dennis, 1/2"?
Is it running nitro or alcohol? What kind of oil, castrol?

Here is a little piece of footage I cut out from a large video showing Garry Walrath and Hollis Vaukman running 500's at Cooma NSW Aust, back in 1995. Timber was 30inch ponderosa pine.

edit. Looking back through records, his clamed world record was in 24inch ponderosa pine in the 1994 Cooma Classic after which he retired but came back in 95 for a run against Hollis in bigger wood.

Last edited:
Back