Gas chip trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtbikes987

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Peter and I am new to the forum. I've been lurking for a while now, buy after lots of searching I haven't found an answer to my question. I am looking for a chip truck to tow my Vermeer 1800 (about 8000lbs).

I see a lot of gas chip trucks and dump trucks for sale and also asplundh uses them in my area (ct). I am looking at 99 gmc 6500 with a 454. I have only driven diesel chip trucks. How is the power of the gas trucks and what can I expect for mpgs? The gas trucks are cheaper, the fuel is cheaper, and I know how to work on gas trucks. Does the diesel get that much better fuel mileage?

Hey guys, my name is Peter and I am new to the forum. I've been lurking for a while now, buy after lots of searching I haven't found an answer to my question. I am looking for a chip truck to tow my Vermeer 1800 (about 8000lbs).

I see a lot of gas chip trucks and dump trucks for sale and also asplundh uses them in my area (ct). I am looking at 99 gmc 6500 with a 454. I have only driven diesel chip trucks. How is the power of the gas trucks and what can I expect for mpgs? The gas trucks are cheaper, the fuel is cheaper, and I know how to work on gas trucks. Does the diesel get that much better fuel mileage?

Those trucks have alot of power compared to the asplundh bucket trucks probly because they dont have all the weight of the boom. Not diesel power,but decent. They should tow your vermeer just fine. Ive driven the truck u talk about towing a WC19 thats the biggest chipper asplundh usually has(winch/hydraulic lift) and it towed it just fine. Im guessing theyre around the same weight.

Gas Trucks

If you go with an asplundh truck expect repairs no matter how nice you think the truck is. sensor issues,leaks, power steering issues, and the inevitable sputter. Buy new if you can repairs will offset the payment associated and downtime. However we pull a 254xp and it is a struggle up hills without a split rear when full.

The truck I'm looking at isn't an asplundh truck, it just has a dump body on it. Owned by a concrete company who never worked in winter. How's the fuel economy on these big blocks in the 6500s?

Listening in on this one as I hope to pick up a truck this summer or fall. Gas or Diesel is my biggest debate. Plus I'm only in the market for a f450/550.

You might want to check out an international 4900. They're descent on fuel. Ours has a 20+ yard
Box and pulls the bandit 1590 with ease fully loaded.

Your chipper is closer to 10,000lbs and 454 are gas pigs I would never consider a gas motor in anything over a one ton. Also if it was owned by a concrete co. expect to have lived a very hard life because all of the flat work guys I know beat the ever loving hell out of their trucks. They get repaired but the frame is what can't be replaced.

I would say that a medium duty Gasoline powered dump will get about 4mpg. A similar diesel powered truck gets about 8mpg. Diesel fuel costs more, the oil changes are more expensive, and will need a new skill set as far as working on it goes.

With all that said, a diesel will be cheaper to run in my opinion. In addition to that, a diesel will retain that higher price tag and benefit you when you go to sell it in the future. Nobody wants to buy an old gas hog.

California has some very mean laws coming that will put an end to old medium duty diesels. Unless I lived in California, I'd be looking for a diesel.

Gas Trucks

The gas 454 is what is in our 6500. Gas mileage is rough like the one gentleman said probably 4 to 5 mpg when loaded maybe 8 empty. I do though know you will struggle up hills when loaded with a chipper over 8000. If you can afford it depending on your work flow I would consider an old bartlett truck with the dt466 removable top. These will run high 20s but are nice trucks and bartlett has to fix them to keep them in operation. They will most likely be airbrake trucks so cdl will be needed. If you can swing the $1500 payment I would get a brand new 14' 72" high diesel. OR buy yourself a storm truck with the 18' dump bed and a grapple for in the high teens. These can not though hold much weight but if you take it easy you could probably get by for a while. Also these will be diesels and with the grapple you can load the wood which is a big cost reducer at the end of the year. Best of Luck BTL

I know you are talking about getting a larger truck than what I am used to, but given some of the hills around here I would be hesitant to get a gas powered chip truck. Unless you plan on using this for an "extra" chip truck, I would hold out for a diesel.

Ended

Ended up picking up a 96 f450 with the 7.3 5 speed. 72000 miles, too clean to pass up. Putting a clutch in it early this week (swapping to single mass flywheel). Is has a 12foot bed on it and I'll make a box with removable top. Should get me started out great- no payment and I'm still working 40-50 hours a week for my current employer. As I get more work I'll cut back on hours. Thanks for the advice, glad I didn't pick up a gas job.

Back