Gas to electric chainsaw conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
One of this winters projects was to convert a non runner Homelite XL to electric power. Looking at my hobby supplies, I found I had everything I needed for the conversion, the bulk of it coming from the stock of RC airplane parts.
The motor is a 1500 watt brushless outrunner, the batteries 2x3 lipo 4AH packs wired in series, with a working voltage of around 24. The speed controller is programmable to enable a brake function, which I am using.
The stock engine block is sawed in half to get a flat surface and the correct depth to mount the motor. A cap to replace the top bearing cap surface was machined out of aluminum stock to provide the other half of the motor mount suface.
A shaft extension was turned on a unimat and a cut down spur drum was press fit. The metal on the drum was hard! A carbide lathe bit was required to even out the circumference.
A primer bulb is used as a manual oiler, and works very well. It falls directly under your thumb where it is mounted.
Fully charged batteries show a free rpm of 15000. Chain acceleration is instant, as is the brake function.

I probably have 20 hours of work into it, but nobody really counts the time when they work on saws for themselves. I'm guessing it is equal to or more powerful than the gas engine it replaces, and now I have one more very light (6 lbs 6 oz w/batteries, 12" bar and chain) and very reliable saw to climb up a tree or do pruning with.

Attachments

• DSCF4965 (Large).jpg
    DSCF4965 (Large).jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF4966 (Large).jpg
    DSCF4966 (Large).jpg
    267 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF4967 (Large).jpg
    DSCF4967 (Large).jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF4963 (Large).jpg
    DSCF4963 (Large).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF4969 (Large).jpg
    DSCF4969 (Large).jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 30
First video, cutting some frozen ash. The free RPM on this thing scares me a little. Should cut a lot better when I replace that awful safety chain with some Stihl PS. Nice to have the electronic brake, next best thing to a chain brake, stops it instantly.
I picked up my super 2 after using this, it felt like a totally heavy pig. Two pounds ten ounces more with an empty gas tank.

Latest posts

Back