Gasoline Primer Container, what do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately while working on some of my saws I needed to prime with gasoline a few times.I really dont have a good way to do this I have in the past used a pump oil can but they dont last long before they seize up.I got to thinking with all you guys doing the same sort of stuff somebody must have a better way.So what do you use for a container?

Here's my budget 'dribbler'. That's a nail used as a cap in 1/4" tubing and no vent hole in the bottle cap. Two stroke mix in the bottle always even for 4 stroke engines because I don't want to make a mistake and start a two stroke with straight gas. When turned upside down it dribbles and dribbles faster when shaken. Of course that is straight gas in it now and why wouldn't it be?

Dribbler 001.JPG

I see most of the racing teams at the drag strip just using tomato sauce containers to hold their fuels. They use some pretty harsh fuels too, generally methanol or nitromethane. The bottles seem to hold up! Either that or they like tomato sauce that much they always have them on hand F9C896AB-8DF4-4672-B329-40F5ACF915FA.jpeg

30 seconds in:

What are you priming? Im lost on this one! Even on a complete crankcase splitting rebuild, Ive never found a need to "prime" a saw. Simply turn it over a few times slowly, then start the saw.
When trouble shooting a saw that will not start the very first thing, I do is to squirt some mix down the carburetor to see if it would fire some. That would tell me the spark is good and the compression is good, and that fuel is making it from the crankcase thru the transfer ports to the compression chamber.

Many oil injected two-stroke provide zero oil at idle as the oil migration time is so slow and there is enough residual oil to protect the engine.
I dont make regular habit of doing it, but it doesn't hurt anything.
I was not going to say anything but.
You do realize that brake clean is made to remove oil and grease. That means when you squirt it down the carb it is going into the crankcase and getting into the crank bearings, the rod bearings, and the bottom and top of the rings. I will pass thanks. I always have some 2 stroke mix around and is easy enough to use.

Back