Genuine new Stihl 070?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppet_2524

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm Puppet (yes this really is my name) this is my first post here I live in Thailand.
I've seen posts debating whether Stihl 070 or its successor the MS720 is still being made and where it is being made?The answer is yes both of them actually, as far as I know the genuine ones are being built in Germany, some dealer here have 070 in stock while other have MS720 in stock with the MS720 being more common nowadays.
There are many kind of 070 in Thailand the genuine Germany one being the best, one built from Taiwan and italy parts is consider good, one built from Taiwan is OK, not sure about one from China though.
Stihl is by far the most popular saw with a little bit of Husqvarna here and there.
Out of all the Stihl models I would guess that the 070/MS720 out sell other model by a factor of 1 to 20, the second most common model is an MS381. Over here an easily attainable Stihl pro saws are 880, 070/720, 660, 381, 361 and for Husqvarna its the 3120(not common but attainable), 395, 390, 372, 365.
The 070 is common because the shape of the rear handle makes it easier for free hand ripping and its more durable than any other saw including the 090 with everything being mostly the same as an 090 but the 070 has a smaller bore making it less stressful for all the components. And the fact that cheap parts from China, Taiwan, and Italy being common must attribute to its popularity. I once ask a man who cut wood for living why not 090 or other model he said 070 have enough power for any tree he had ever come across. Keep in mind that trees here are a lot harder than in USA or Europe and they grow large not redwood large but some of them is the size of a large fir.
Please keep in mind that most of the information here is second hand. One day I was out of town working I came across a small saw shop I have always like chainsaw so I stop to have a look I ended up buying a couple of saws from there thinking I'll find use for it but never found a job requiring an 070.
I have use a Stihl 070 before and one thing I notice is it can over power a log its hard to explain but I mean that when chain is blunt and you force it to cut a hardwood log the saw body doesn't flex or give instead it send vibration into a log letting you know that the saw you're holding is a solid piece of equipment!
Here is my 070 it has never cut wood and the owner of the shop that sold it to me said that if any part on this saw is not genuine I can go back and get my money back.
I have a feeling they're trying to replace it with 660 and 880.
Feel free to ask any question I'll try my best to answer.
Thanks for a great site.

4.jpg 3.jpg 11.jpg 10.jpg

That is a nice saw! What did that cost over there?

You guys DO have some serious hardwood over there. Great to see a member from your part of the world! Your saw looks AWESOME & its great to know that those saws are still being sold in original form. We would all love to see some of the wood/trees you guys cut. Are you planning to mill wirh your saw? Do you make furnature with your saw? Your english is good and you communicate well. (probably better than alot of us) lol! Congratulations on your new saw Puppet and welcome to arboristsite. Don't forget to keep us informed about your wood cutting adventures.

Very nice - I LOVE the 1106 series saws. I would have snatched that machine up in a second and put it on the mantle for display!

I can't imagine anyone would debate that the saw in the photos is the real deal, so that's absolutely NOT what I'm getting at here, but does anyone know why the serial number has an "S" in front? The number is 9 digits which is obviously correct, and it starts with a "1" indicating it was made in Germany. But, what does the "S" mean?

Thank you for the warm welcome and the compliments. I'll try to answer some questions for you. I paid about us$1300 for it. Most people here use an 070 for felling, freehand ripping and just all around use of a chainsaw. If I have a chance I'll take some pictures of them doing it for you guys.
And if anyone would like to have one maybe I can help.

Hello everyone I'm Puppet (yes this really is my name) this is my first post here I live in Thailand.
I've seen posts debating whether Stihl 070 or its successor the MS720 is still being made and where it is being made?The answer is yes both of them actually, as far as I know the genuine ones are being built in Germany, some dealer here have 070 in stock while other have MS720 in stock with the MS720 being more common nowadays.
There are many kind of 070 in Thailand the genuine Germany one being the best, one built from Taiwan and italy parts is consider good, one built from Taiwan is OK, not sure about one from China though.
Stihl is by far the most popular saw with a little bit of Husqvarna here and there.
Out of all the Stihl models I would guess that the 070/MS720 out sell other model by a factor of 1 to 20, the second most common model is an MS381. Over here an easily attainable Stihl pro saws are 880, 070/720, 660, 381, 361 and for Husqvarna its the 3120(not common but attainable), 395, 390, 372, 365.
The 070 is common because the shape of the rear handle makes it easier for free hand ripping and its more durable than any other saw including the 090 with everything being mostly the same as an 090 but the 070 has a smaller bore making it less stressful for all the components. And the fact that cheap parts from China, Taiwan, and Italy being common must attribute to its popularity. I once ask a man who cut wood for living why not 090 or other model he said 070 have enough power for any tree he had ever come across. Keep in mind that trees here are a lot harder than in USA or Europe and they grow large not redwood large but some of them is the size of a large fir.
Please keep in mind that most of the information here is second hand. One day I was out of town working I came across a small saw shop I have always like chainsaw so I stop to have a look I ended up buying a couple of saws from there thinking I'll find use for it but never found a job requiring an 070.
I have use a Stihl 070 before and one thing I notice is it can over power a log its hard to explain but I mean that when chain is blunt and you force it to cut a hardwood log the saw body doesn't flex or give instead it send vibration into a log letting you know that the saw you're holding is a solid piece of equipment!
Here is my 070 it has never cut wood and the owner of the shop that sold it to me said that if any part on this saw is not genuine I can go back and get my money back.
I have a feeling they're trying to replace it with 660 and 880.
Feel free to ask any question I'll try my best to answer.
Thanks for a great site.

View attachment 341636 View attachment 341637 View attachment 341638 View attachment 341639
Hi, i need one. Isabelle There a possibility to buy one from Thailand

Latest posts

Back