Getting a Stump to Rot Quickly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I bought a stump grinder for my tractor, I would dig around the stump down below grade, wash the dirt off it, and cut it off below grade.

End of the problem!

SR

The cheapest easiest and economical solution to your problem is to mimick the CDF n USFS by covering the stump with a liberal layer of borax.

IMHO.

Jomoco
I am skeptical of that. Borax does not promote fungal growth. Its main use is to prevent root rot. Fertilizer should work, with lots of holes drilled.

Recently had 17 persimmon, elm, and blackjack stumps between 12" and 24" ground out by a local tree service outfit I have hired before for removal and ice storm damage jobs. Same crew took down and chipped/hauled the trees two years ago, but I had them leave the stumps at the time. Watching those guys climb during the removal was an impressive show. For this job, they sent out a six man crew and two BIG Vermeer grinders and were done, cleaned up and out of here in 2 hrs for $1200, a bargain in my eyes. However, his crews are all or none - he won't send out a machine and a couple of workers. He keeps three 6-man crews busy and has mostly retained the same guys on each crew for years. His only stipulation is for a stump grind only job like mine he gets to picks the day of the week with one day prior notice to me. That lets him sandwich it in between other larger jobs. I've never asked him what one stump would cost, but it would be a LOT. Ha.

.................. His only stipulation is for a stump grind only job like mine he gets to picks the day of the week with one day prior notice to me. That lets him sandwich it in between other larger jobs. I've never asked him what one stump would cost, but it would be a LOT. Ha.
That is what I was referencing earlier about each person being accomodating to each other. When folks work together things work better, costs go down, good hardworking folks get paid, and each party leaves happy. As I mentioned earlier I have had several tree jobs done for what I consider a VERY good cost. They were done by a pro crew and done well. I gave them a wide open window of time. I just showed them what I wanted and said put the sticks on the ground and send me a bill. I told them do it whenever you can in-between jobs or on the way to a job. They did one large pine that required a total of drive time to look at and then do of close to 4 hrs as it was way out of their working area. They did it because I gave them the wide window.

Too many folks today are in a huge hurry. They order it today but wanted it yesterday. I have been and still am guilty of that myself sometimes but I try to stop and slow down a bit.

No. Potassium nitrate is an oxidizer. The idea is to speed up burning after it dries. Piss, or urea, will not do that.
MY SIL LIVED ON 13 ACREAS, incl 7-acres tree and did burn piles; got up before sunrise on morning, looking out window, saw pile from burn two week old burn flamed up, and was amazed. 2) Knew of new home, fireplace fire, week later ashes put in bag and in garage; came home late to find garage, boat, car, house burned down.

Back