Getting my 25 acre wood lot timbered this winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful bridge bridge - what did you use for support under all the planking? Steel beams? Wood beams? Logs?
I've had a hand in replacing a bridge supported by redwood logs with steel I-beams (40' long) and installing a much shorter bridge (~20' long) supported by 18-20" redwood logs, so I can appreciate the efforts involved.
Thanks!! It was a fun build in the heat of summer…lol

I used tractor supply’s 8-inch fence posts for the piers. They are pressure treated with CCA since they are exempt for farm use. I put 12-inch diameter holes in with 2-feet of concrete base as a foundation And put them at 6-foot centers. I needed it to support my tractor with a full 1 CY bucket of dirt. The beams are all 2x10 pressure treated And the deck is 2x6 pressure treated Nailed with ring shanked nails to give some flexibility. The abutments on either side are dry stack 60# concrete sacks.

I am truly not trying to be negative but when I see that Cherry price all I can say is WOW. I know there was not much of it but the really stole that. Thank god you did not have any Walnut or I would have hated to see what they paid, The rest of the species I am do not know with the exception of the Oak seems you did Ok on , well better than OK it was very good. The Cherry ..........no
The cherry here is fairly low grade and on my plot before they get thick the chancre takes over. It’s not a tree that thrives well in a dense forest. This was a low grade selective cut. The oak component is very substantial here and I let a few high grade go to help increase the revenue and get a clearcut out of it cost free. There are still so many oaks 😉

Some of the mill tallys as promised. Suffice it to say that with inventory building at the mills now and prices for lumber dropping I could not have picked a better time for this harvest.

View attachment 996589View attachment 996590View attachment 996591View attachment 996592View attachment 996593View attachment 996594View attachment 996595View attachment 996596View attachment 996597View attachment 996599
Appreciate the pics of the invoice/tickets. Now that wood is back to normal again the $ anticipated from the logging has been cut in half I imagine

Appreciate the pics of the invoice/tickets. Now that wood is back to normal again the $ anticipated from the logging has been cut in half I imagine
There is no doubt softwood/construction lumber has dropped a lot. It is still considerably higher than it was prior to covid. An example is 2x4 studs are still close to twice what the were pre Covid. That is better than the 400 percent increase they took during covid. I am not sure if hardwood lumber has fallen on the retail side. I am not in a position to check and see what it is locally now

Back