Getting my 25 acre wood lot timbered this winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I was at echo days right before michigan shut down on March 2020 to pick up that monster back pack blower echo makes.
Gee you and I think alike. I got a Husqvarna 360bt 2 years ago. Not an Echo but a very powerful blower.

I would advise against that monster blower unless your clearing leaves off of a path. It hurts to use lol. It moves logs and big rocks and will blow a hole to China if you point it at the ground. Not much finesse in it. I think the 60 ish cc one would have been better.

I would advise against that monster blower unless your clearing leaves off of a path. It hurts to use lol. It moves logs and big rocks and will blow a hole to China if you point it at the ground. Not much finesse in it. I think the 60 ish cc one would have been better.
Sorry typo. 360bt and it does throw air. Did a great job for me as I need to remove high volume leaves for fall. It will be perfect for my land too after the cut since I want those logging roads to be pristine.

I agree we use ours mostly for clearing leaves in the woods for planting food plots and keeping them clear of leaves. Works great for that.

Attachments

• 0503200959a.jpg
    0503200959a.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 0513201156a.jpg
    0513201156a.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Temporary drive is in. Landing being formed soon to the right side. View attachment 945827View attachment 945828
good to see you got a logger that can put in a decent road, far to many expect the log trucks to float on mud...

as fer the popple, it's a damned weed grows everywhere fast and big, so it's cheap and fairly useless wood, if the logger doesn't want it, it's probably cause it wont even cover the trucking to take it to a mill

I believe xray is in the new England area he may have poplar which is desirable. But here where I am at its quaking aspen or big tooth/saw tooth aspen but the slang term is popple for them and I agree they are junk. Damn things can fall over on a calm day and once there big the ones around my area get center rot and are dangerous to fell and the best part of the tree is useless.

I believe xray is in the new England area he may have poplar which is desirable. But here where I am at its quaking aspen or big tooth/saw tooth aspen but the slang term is popple for them and I agree they are junk. Damn things can fall over on a calm day and once there big the ones around my area get center rot and are dangerous to fell and the best part of the tree is useless.
Same monikers for popple as you fellas have. I like the wood for certain purposes but like all things, anything too much can be a nuisance. What’s a nuisance around here? Sumac and Norway Maple.
The popple on my plot number in the 10’s and they die by the time they get to 60 ft and 16 dbh.

good to see you got a logger that can put in a decent road, far to many expect the log trucks to float on mud...

as fer the popple, it's a damned weed grows everywhere fast and big, so it's cheap and fairly useless wood, if the logger doesn't want it, it's probably cause it wont even cover the trucking to take it to a mill.

He’s a young guy making a name for himself. Happy to give him some street cred. He keeps me very up to date with info and progress he’s making as well as price transparency. He’s a very honest and down to earth character. I could have been setup with a big crew but who knows what the outcome would have been? Maybe good, maybe scorched earth. It could go either way for any logger. I like to meet the guy or crew first and talk it up to level the playing field. I am realistic and know what is trash and what is treasure not setting unrealistic expectations on anyone. I’ve learned quite a bit from spending time chatting with him.

Xraydaniel, I live in central mass as well and the damn gypsy moths killed off all our big white oaks. As much as we liked them I don't know that I would be promoting them above others, but I don't know squat about timbering other than I like being in the woods.

Xraydaniel, I live in central mass as well and the damn gypsy moths killed off all our big white oaks. As much as we liked them I don't know that I would be promoting them above others, but I don't know squat about timbering other than I like being in the woods.
Same here patches of forest looked like December even though it was July August. So much poop at night it sounded like it was raining. It was un believable to say the least

Aspen are the heart of the pulp wood industry in northern WI. Our land in north central WI is about 65% aspen. It gets clearcut every 30 to 40 years. Great for deer, grouse and woodcock.

Our neighbor logged off thirty acres of Beech/Oak woods. Young couple, just bought the property and fixed up the house. They hired a forester. Pallet company got the job, and a father/son team did the cutting/skidding. They absolutely spoiled the property. Left hangers in the back yard around the house until the couple called the forester. They have three young kids. They questioned what was going on and the forester said these were some of the better loggers he dealt with. There is hangers and damaged trees through the property. The couple posted free firewood and people cleaned up some of the easy picking tops. Since then wind storms have topped many of the younger tall trees left in the more open areas. The owners were shocked and embarrassed. The brush has grown up very thick throughout the property. I'm sure it will not recover for thirty years. Really devalued what was a beautiful property.

Our neighbor logged off thirty acres of Beech/Oak woods. Young couple, just bought the property and fixed up the house. They hired a forester. Pallet company got the job, and a father/son team did the cutting/skidding. They absolutely spoiled the property. Left hangers in the back yard around the house until the couple called the forester. They have three young kids. They questioned what was going on and the forester said these were some of the better loggers he dealt with. There is hangers and damaged trees through the property. The couple posted free firewood and people cleaned up some of the easy picking tops. Since then wind storms have topped many of the younger tall trees left in the more open areas. The owners were shocked and embarrassed. The brush has grown up very thick throughout the property. I'm sure it will not recover for thirty years. Really devalued what was a beautiful property.
That’s what I’m afraid of right there. Tops will be left in the woods but 30-40% basal area will be cut. I have a big firewood need so I will be going through to clean the tops up.

Did this father/son crew high grade it?

I just stumbled across this thread from the firewood section.
I'm not familiar with a lot of the terms, including "high grade".
As slowp said, do your homework, and it sounds like you are.
And as other suggested, go to other sites that have been logged off.
The neighbors forester had a sign out along the road. It fell down over time and I kept putting it back up for a year, that others would know who not to hire.
What is basil area?
Edit: Another neighbor just put 19.9 acres up for sale. 2/3 high ground fully wooded, ravine and wetlands. $695k Logged off i'm guessing it would be worth a fraction of that.

Back