Getting my 25 acre wood lot timbered this winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just stumbled across this thread from the firewood section.
I'm not familiar with a lot of the terms, including "high grade".
As slowp said, do your homework, and it sounds like you are.
And as other suggested, go to other sites that have been logged off.
The neighbors forester had a sign out along the road. It fell down over time and I kept putting it back up for a year, that others would know who not to hire.
What is basil area?
Edit: Another neighbor just put 19.9 acres up for sale. 2/3 high ground fully wooded, ravine and wetlands. $695k Logged off i'm guessing it would be worth a fraction of that.
High grade = taking of excellent quality timber.
Basal area = density of stumpage in a given area

$695k for 20 acres? Where is this?! Must have a nice house there as well as out buildings.

Google Zillow, Saugatuck, MI; land 19 acres; $600k+
6199 Old Allegan Rd, Saugatuck 49453
No buildings that I'm aware of.
19.9 acres.
Sorry for the thread derail.
Just saying, land value is effected by what's on it, and the timber value may be low compared to not harvesting and just culling as you go. Or find a person willing to take a few trees at the start and doing something over a period of time. Maybe check someone with a mill that does custom mill work.
You are obviously well informed.
However, asking say ten people what "timber management" means may get you ten different answers depending on their background. I mentioned recently in another thread, if you have prostrate cancer, and talk to a surgeon, you will get that point of view, a surgical point of view because that's what he knows. Talk to someone who specializes in radiation, you will get that point of view. Talk with a general practitioner you will hear something, some positive and possibly negative considerations, you may not hear from the others as they, the general practitioner, do not have a financial interest either way.
With harvesting trees, the point of view of someone not financially connected, could be worth a lot.
The neighbors have looked at a mess for almost three years. The first year, people were there daily, seven days a week, driving in and out of the driveway to cut tops. Somedays several pair or threesome's, which made for scatter picking early on, which made more of a mess. One guy brought a flatbed wrecker and winched stuff on the truck (Which is technically illegal, because they get a break on license plates as emergency vehicles, with the contingency that the vehicle is only used for that purpose.)One pair continued to come and cleaned up the tops (down to 2"), and they call them back when wind storms drop more stuff. The couple, I should add does not use firewood. Just two good, hard working people trying to raise a family. Trying to do it right by involving a forester, a (supposedly) professional.

I just stumbled across this thread from the firewood section.
I'm not familiar with a lot of the terms, including "high grade".
As slowp said, do your homework, and it sounds like you are.
And as other suggested, go to other sites that have been logged off.
The neighbors forester had a sign out along the road. It fell down over time and I kept putting it back up for a year, that others would know who not to hire.
What is basil area?
Edit: Another neighbor just put 19.9 acres up for sale. 2/3 high ground fully wooded, ravine and wetlands. $695k Logged off i'm guessing it would be worth a fraction of that.
High Grade, to take only the best or highest value timber, leaving the rest, worst case scenerio, the loggers destroy any standing timber they don't want, and muck up the dirt in the process, best case they take the good stuff and leave the smaller less desirable timber to grow up some and be valuable later, and everything in between

Basil area, is roughly the density of the timber, it can be expressed a number of different way, sometimes focusing on species or total, sometimes mature vs young etc.

I've been looking at the 620pw, they say it's real wicked for the size and $. I got a couple 590s but guys say the difference is night and day between the 2. I looked at the 7310 and it was to big cause I'm a little guy 5'4 140 so the 620 size to power ratio is great from what I have read.

Put a 28” on the 7310 & go to work.

620 is nice but if you need more grunt a 70cc saw is hardly ever the wrong choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Many of our Beech are hollow, or have hollow spots, and are home to several pair of wood duck each spring/summer. I leave standing dead for the pileated wood peckers as well. Sometimes they, the standing dead, drop and take out a younger tree, but that's nature. Our property was selective cut prior to our acquiring it, in 1985. They probably took two dozen Oaks off this six acres, and did a clean job of it.

Beech mast was nuts here this year.

Huge black walnut crop this year in Allegan County, Michigan. I have 4 trees in farmyard and a tractor with a 6' bucket. Picked up and hauled 15 loads of nuts and scattered around the 80 acre farm. Estimated over 15.000 to 20,000 nuts. If the squirrels don't eat them all, will have a huge black walnut tree plantation in 10 to 20 years.
Black walnut logs are in big demand now and the trees are referred to as "Black Gold". During my absence someone cut down 4 prime veneer trees from my property. Estimated value $5K to $6K. Real bummer!
JJK

Huge black walnut crop this year in Allegan County, Michigan. I have 4 trees in farmyard and a tractor with a 6' bucket. Picked up and hauled 15 loads of nuts and scattered around the 80 acre farm. Estimated over 15.000 to 20,000 nuts. If the squirrels don't eat them all, will have a huge black walnut tree plantation in 10 to 20 years.
Black walnut logs are in big demand now and the trees are referred to as "Black Gold". During my absence someone cut down 4 prime veneer trees from my property. Estimated value $5K to $6K. Real bummer!
JJK
I would be fairly incensed at such a robbery. This would have required quite some noise to accomplish. Were you away on vacation?

I would be fairly incensed at such a robbery. This would have required quite some noise to accomplish. Were you away on vacation?
This is a second home in a rural area so not there all the time. What makes me more incensed is being 99% sure who stole the logs, but according to the police, "no eye witness, no case". Keeps me awake at night sometimes.

Latest posts

Back