Getting to be that time again.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've had a couple campfires so far, but I'm looking forward to the burning season again. Maybe some of you up north are already burning a bit.

I don't know how many cords I have ready - plenty, and it's mostly oak. I just need to move it from my shop to my home area. Got plenty of kids to help with that, but they are flying the coop. My 2nd son, Thor, is away at college now. He was my best helper. Yes, his name is Thor. Yes, he has a Mjolnir replica. (several of various sizes). Yes, he has long flowing hair and muscles. Hey, when you have such a name, you gotta look the part.

But his older brother (Knut) is home now, finished with his bachelor's degree (M.E.) and is working from home while doing an online Master's. But that means he's not available very much at all.

So now you're probably curious about the rest of my kids' names. Here's the list:
Sylvia
Knut
Cecily
Thor
Gloria
Bjorn
Rosemary
Leif
Ivar
Sven

All of them are good workers, or will be by the time I'm done with them.

Anyway, back to the firewood. I'm good to go for my home, but I might need a new cat for my Blaze King.
I have the two re-sellers stocked with my bundles, but I need to get some more bundles ready to go. Neighbor ordered 4 cords of oak which I got, and now he wants 2 more. He also wants to hire me to split up a pecan tree in his yard that was just removed and cut into rounds.
Green Pecan splits pretty hard. Is it easier when it's cold, or after it's set for a year??

Some of you may recall I built a rocket stove in my shop. Well, after 2 years of using that, I decided to go back to a stove again. The rocket stove was very efficient, and burned everything quite thoroughly, but it just didn't put out the heat. It's not really designed for that, especially with a poorly insulated garage. So I found a cheap little stove on Marketplace and got that installed the other day. I hope it works well. Forgot what brand it was.

So how is your season looking? Everyone ready?

I’m ready. I try to stay a year ahead and I feel very confident I’m at that point. I put my splits in wire industrial baskets 40”x48x48” that I can move with my tractor and pallet forks. I have mostly oak that’s ready to go for this winter
4ef142ce1849274f0c541006592fd004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a couple campfires so far, but I'm looking forward to the burning season again. Maybe some of you up north are already burning a bit.

ISo now you're probably curious about the rest of my kids' names. Here's the list:
Sylvia
Knut
Cecily
Thor
Gloria
Bjorn
Rosemary
Leif
Ivar
Sven

No fires inside the house yet. I'd bet others in my area are already, but we have a log home, and the R value is pretty high, so it still stays warm inside all night. We're in the Michigan UP. But, we're like you, we've had a couple of bonfires, but that's about it. And to the second part of your story......................just HOLY CRAP!!! I know it's not that cold in MO, so are you a farmer or Catholic?????? LOL. Man, just thinking about all of those kids, I'd be one ornery SOB come Christmas-time!

I have 3 huge oaks all split and stacked with 3 more on the ground cut into rounds waiting for fall temps. Down here in FL it will be november before we get cool enough to really burn a fire for warmth here and there but really mid december to march being the coldest. I hope to cover the cost of the splitter i bought last year and the ms460 im building with change left over for christmas :)

I don't know how many cords I have ready - plenty, and it's mostly oak. I just need to move it from my shop to my home area. Got plenty of kids to help with that, but they are flying the coop. My 2nd son, Thor, is away at college now. He was my best helper. Yes, his name is Thor. Yes, he has a Mjolnir replica. (several of various sizes). Yes, he has long flowing hair and muscles. Hey, when you have such a name, you gotta look the part.

But his older brother (Knut) is home now, finished with his bachelor's degree (M.E.) and is working from home while doing an online Master's. But that means he's not available very much at all.

So now you're probably curious about the rest of my kids' names. Here's the list:
Sylvia
Knut
Cecily
Thor
Gloria
Bjorn
Rosemary
Leif
Ivar
Sven

Anyway, back to the firewood. I'm good to go for my home, but I might need a new cat for my Blaze King.
I have the two re-sellers stocked with my bundles, but I need to get some more bundles ready to go. Neighbor ordered 4 cords of oak which I got, and now he wants 2 more. He also wants to hire me to split up a pecan tree in his yard that was just removed and cut into rounds.
Green Pecan splits pretty hard. Is it easier when it's cold, or after it's set for a year??

Some of you may recall I built a rocket stove in my shop. Well, after 2 years of using that, I decided to go back to a stove again. The rocket stove was very efficient, and burned everything quite thoroughly, but it just didn't put out the heat. It's not really designed for that, especially with a poorly insulated garage. So I found a cheap little stove on Marketplace and got that installed the other day. I hope it works well. Forgot what brand it was.

UM you have been way more busy than I thought. My one and only son is a construction super. My Grand Daughter nearly finished with a Architectural Engineering degree was featured by the University with a freeway billboard. And I still cut firewood. My son same name very original. My GD is GT for Shelby 500.

Now you may have to get a grip and hire and that is hard. Thanks

~100 degrees the past few days, the only fires here are the wildfires. This evening I almost bucked up some oak logs I'd stashed by the cut stuff, but I ended up just prepping the saw and making a few jugs of mix. I can sense it's that time of year, but the weather is a little slow on the uptake.

Yes I'm ready. Looks like I'll be working from home a lot this winter too, although office beckons a couple of days a week. Which means I'll likely burn quite a bit. Last year WFH 100% I burnt 3.5+ cord instead of 2.5 or less, I reckon I'll burn at least 3. Mum moved last summer and now got a stove installed ready for this winter so I don't her and she'll burn a cord, maybe more, we shall see how the btw stove goes. Not a problem though I've 15m³ or nearly 4.5 cord I put down last summer ready to go. I've put down as much this summer too for next year. This year I've scrounged virtually 100% Oak so I wouldn't be surprised if the last cube I have left to buck and split is not burnt until the winter after.

The rest of the firewood life is going well too. I got an amazing deal from Amazon, 28% off a Makita 4300 (Dolmar 420) , and sold my Stihl ms180 for a great price on eBay so a huge saw upgrade for not much cost. I've also got mum's stove from they old house ready to fit here, as it's in better condition than one of mine that has been run hard.

I do need to sweep the chimneys though. Other than that little job, I'm ready.

Not even close to indoor burning season yet. We don't get our first cool front till the end of October. However I have 12 cords of 2 year old live oak that has been split for at least 2 years and is stored in a shed for my personal use. I have about 40 cords of mixed oak in cut rounds that are a year old and about 60 cords split and ready for sales. I also have about 50 cords of new green wood still in the round ready to be split for next year.

We normally burn year around as we use the Garn to heat our domestic. We did have a cracked weld last winter. Temp patched until Feb and then had to drain it in the coldest part of our winter and switch back to propane. Finally got it repaired, cleaned and filled and running again in May. Been burning since then about two loads a week. I have enough wood for the season but we try to stay ahead. Only have done about three cord this summer. Its been hot and dry here. Going to be close to hundred today. Grain harvest is a couple weeks off for us. Hope to get to the timber before then and cut some more hedge trees down and brush out to have some more logs to work after harvest. I hope every one has a nice fall.

No fires inside the house yet. I'd bet others in my area are already, but we have a log home, and the R value is pretty high, so it still stays warm inside all night. We're in the Michigan UP. But, we're like you, we've had a couple of bonfires, but that's about it. And to the second part of your story......................just HOLY CRAP!!! I know it's not that cold in MO, so are you a farmer or Catholic?????? LOL. Man, just thinking about all of those kids, I'd be one ornery SOB come Christmas-time!

LOL. No, not Catholic. Home-schooler. :dancing: :clap: I'm pretty sure WWIII is going to be Muslims against Homeschoolers.

Christmas time is awesome. Love to sit and watch the kids open their presents. We only give the kids a couple things each, but grandparents chip in, and my oldest daughter really goes crazy. She shops all year, and collects awesome gifts for them. She gives each kid (and parent!) a large box full of all kinds of appropriate and fun gifts.
The living room is full of wrapping and paper, gifts everywhere, cats playing in the boxes, stove blazing away, good Christmas music playing in the background, cup of cocoa by my side, and smiles and laughter all around. There's nothing more awesome!

Up here in WNY it was 82 today. With all this dead ash, I have logs every where and enough wood split for 2 years at my disposal. Freshly cleaned stove and chimney and new fiber board in the stove. Im ready...the truck could use some better tires though..

Sylvia
Knut
Cecily
Thor
Gloria
Bjorn
Rosemary
Leif
Ivar
Sven

Sylvia
Knut
Cecily
Thor
Gloria
Bjorn
Rosemary
Leif
Ivar
Sven

So how is your season looking? Everyone ready

Sylvia
Knut
Cecily
Thor
Gloria
Bjorn
Rosemary
Leif
Ivar
Sven

I'm ready with this year's wood. Got some Ash, Red Elm and Red Oak to burn.
The shoulder wood is soft Maple, Pine and Poplar.
I'm still working on cutting for 2 years from now.
I like the cool Fall air for that. Love hearing saws running in the Fall.
My new firewood racks are working out good once I replaced the soft decks screws with structural screws.
I posted them last year but was a bit disappointed when a couple joints started to fall apart with sheared off screws.
I also put large patio slabs under the feet because some sunk into the gravel a bit. Now they are much more stable and I can still blow leaves out from under them in Fall.
IMG_20200509_200203440.jpg IMG_20200509_200143570.jpg IMG_20200701_172518088 - Copy.jpg

Got up to 34 degrees this morning, so first fire in the stove to take the chill off. Kinda nice.

Quite often this time of year as I'm putting wood in the stove my wife will ask, "Do you really need a fire?" My answer, "I don't need one, but I want one." My friend Lauren calls that a "cheer fire."

Latest posts

Back