Giant American Holly - Save or Remove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
multi butts on trees are bad
I think it depends in part on which species of tree you are talking about. Most trees normal growth habit is a single dominant leader, while others commonly have multiple stems (redbud, crepe myrtle, for example). Hollies normally have a single dominant stem, so multiple leaders are more of a problem for them.

I see that you name is treehugger

Heck cut it down and hug it while it's on the ground. (before it takes out part of your house)
I've seen similar instances where people plant a tree too close to a house, under or next to a power line and even leave a small tree when building a house. and do not even consider it growing.

Even Ronnie Milsap can see that needs to be taken down.

I see that you name is treehugger

Heck cut it down and hug it while it's on the ground. (before it takes out part of your house)
I've seen similar instances where people plant a tree too close to a house, under or next to a power line and even leave a small tree when building a house. and do not even consider it growing.

Even Ronnie Milsap can see that needs to be taken down.
Going to save some of the wood for carving.

Still looks sketchy. Alot of trees I see that have storm damage are ones that split at the base of a multi trunk tree. Anytime the tree is touching the house that usually spells trouble. Could take a few shingles off or take tye 2nd story off. Great pic. That holly is a beast!

My father was a professional wood carver and Holly was super white and worked well with sharp knives. From a distance people would question if the Madonna, etc was ivory. I’ve used it some in accents or to build depth in a piece of fancy furniture. (White pegs in cherry or walnut. So my two cents is that the wood is not junk. Someone with a small mill would probably come and get the logs and once processed it will make its way into the right hands.

My father was a professional wood carver and Holly was super white and worked well with sharp knives. From a distance people would question if the Madonna, etc was ivory. I’ve used it some in accents or to build depth in a piece of fancy furniture. (White pegs in cherry or walnut. So my two cents is that the wood is not junk. Someone with a small mill would probably come and get the logs and once processed it will make its way into the right hands.
Yes, I saw this photo on that wood id page I linked to on page one. Amazing skills.
1641351388530.png

Yes, I saw this photo on that wood id page I linked to on page one. Amazing skills.
View attachment 953827
1641351848640.jpeg
Ok, never mind the fawn in the foreground. The elephant head on the wall of my home theater is a 1/3 life sized, carved by my dad (basswood) glass eye and holly tusks. It looked real enough that people would berate me for shooting a baby elephant.

And before anyone gets side tracked on the fawn, mom got hit in the road and because we milked cows (for family milk and cheese making) the fawn came to our barn morning and evening to be bottle fed and off again into the wild during the day. It was magical and on this day she came into the house as I brought in groceries.

View attachment 953828
Ok, never mind the fawn in the foreground. The elephant head on the wall of my home theater is a 1/3 life sized, carved by my dad (basswood) glass eye and holly tusks. It looked real enough that people would berate me for shooting a baby elephant.

And before anyone gets side tracked on the fawn, mom got hit in the road and because we milked cows (for family milk and cheese making) the fawn came to our barn morning and evening to be bottle fed and off again into the wild during the day. It was magical and on this day she came into the house as I brought in groceries.
That is an awesome photo - on both accounts!
Do you do any wood carving?

My dads building a house and we clear cut most of the 2.5 acre lot. Mostly popple and oak some small to medium maple and dead ash. His thought process was any tree that could fall and hit the house is a tree that has to go.
Absolutely the way to look at it. A tree crushed my shed and truck at my last house and I just had one on my new house and one in my pool. Never again, I’ll drop everything on the next lot.

Latest posts

Back