GMC 3500 Vandura dually for pulling heavy loads?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softdown

There is only Ingsoc.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Been looking for a Cummins equipped dually. Prices are crazy and supply is scarce.

But I have this '93 GMC dually box truck (14') with 454 engine and 14 ply tires. The 2" ball is welded on. There is no receiver for a pintle hitch.

Brakes are huge. Rear axle is huge. Seems to have potential though clearly less than ideal. Bir rough but mechanically sound.

Workable for 20000 lb machine on heavy trailer?

I wouldn't think so. A 20k load is gonna take a trailer that weighs what, 6-7k? So you're talking 27,000# behind a 8000#(ish) tow vehicle. No thanks. For that kind of load, I'd be looking at a medium duty truck, not a pickup, unless you want to drop big money on one of those new pickups that are rated (somehow) for those kind of loads.

For reference, I pull my kubota which weighs maybe 7-8000 with the implements on a 5000# gooseneck. I tow with a 97 k3500 dually with the 454. Mine is a vortec, so a decent hp bump compared to your van. It's comfy, but I know it's back there. You're talking about double that load, which from my experience would be unsafe.

pulling 20k loads look at f550's or a chevy top kick, you van may pull it but it wont stop it or it will get jack knifed pushed through turns, will it pull it? probably but that trans wont last and the brakes will fade then fail very quickly

Short trips though. 25 flat miles from home to massive wildfire damage to 2200 lots.
Compared to my 2500 the brakes and axles are massive. Then we have 14 ply tires on duallies.
Plus it is more the driver dealing with the load.

I love when the guys at Menards (regional version of home depot) ask me how far I'm going in reference to securing my load. Uh, I'm getting on public roads, including the interstate. Be it one mile or a thousand, I want my load to be safe.
If you're gonna do something unsafe regardless of the advice not to, I don't much see the point in asking for opinions...

Been looking for a more modern dually awhile. Very slim pickers. Crazy prices.
Not sure I would even tow from home. May have machine delivered straight to job site.

Medium duty trucks are cheap. You should be able to find something with plenty of weight, capacity, and braking power for under $10k pretty easy. Probably closer to 5 if you look hard enough.

Medium duty trucks are a dime a dozen around here since these big rich farmers are all getting semis! Grab one of them and go! Forget that van thingy unless you want to go out and kill someone on the road cause you cant stop!

I seen a local guy haul a dozer with a Chevy one ton single wheel. He had to put a jack on the rear of the trailer to unload the dozer so it didn’t pick up the rear of the truck. Not good.

Been looking for a Cummins equipped dually. Prices are crazy and supply is scarce.

But I have this '93 GMC dually box truck (14') with 454 engine and 14 ply tires. The 2" ball is welded on. There is no receiver for a pintle hitch.

Brakes are huge. Rear axle is huge. Seems to have potential though clearly less than ideal. Bir rough but mechanically sound.

Workable for 20000 lb machine on heavy trailer?
hell-no-steve-harvey.gif

International 4700s are everywhere for sale and not that expensive.

I seen a local guy haul a dozer with a Chevy one ton single wheel. He had to put a jack on the rear of the trailer to unload the dozer so it didn’t pick up the rear of the truck. Not good.
Depends on how big of a dozer your talking, hauled an awful lot of equipment with newer f350 and a older f550. Can't say you could tell much difference between the two with an 16k lb mini hoe on the back of either of them. A d4 cat never gave much grief to either truck. Gotta remember these newer trucks have a lot bigger and better brakes, axles and transmissions then older trucks. It's not 1980 any more.

Just bought a '98 Chevy "one ton" dually. Tow rating via 5th wheel, 12k lbs.

Buddy's 2004 "3/4 ton" SRW Dodge, tow rating? 13k lbs. The newer trucks really are capable of a lot more.

(No it's not just the engine, the 454 in my Chevy is surprisingly close in output to the Cummins.)

Wouldn't try and tow 20k lbs with either of them. I'd tow that much across the street, or move it around on the property if the right truck wasn't available at the time, but that's it. For a one time trip, I'd rent a capable truck. In an actual emergency, I'd give it a go, but only far enough to get to safety. Regular daily grind? Absolutely not.

Latest posts

Back