GoldCountry’s Milling Journey

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldcountrycalifornia

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
TL;DR —
I’m building a CSM.

Has anyone made a remote air filter setup? I was thinking of using an old air filter base as a boot, attaching a vacuum hose (or other similar flexible tube, as vacuum hoses can split and the splits can be difficult to spot), hole sawing through the top cover, running the hose to a remote location where I can run a larger air filter from a motorcycle or similar. I’d step up the diameter early on in the hose/pipe assembly. The larger filter medium will be further from the dust and more surface area=less frequent cleaning.

Full post —

Hello,

Over the past couple years I’ve gone back and forth on buying a bandsaw mill. I refuse to buy anything chinese over a few bucks and based on my wood supply, it’s was difficult to cough up $5k on a decent BSM. My lot has a lot of oak, but they are either trees I do not want to cut or small enough to be better utilized as firewood. I also have quite a bit of pine and fir. I like looking at the larger ponderosas and Doug firs, but the smaller ones are perfect for making posts for sheds and ag structures. If I can develop relationships to get logs at a decent price in the future I’ll revisit the BSM idea.

So my frugality won again. I thought I’d be buying posts and 2x4s from Home Depot like everyone else. But then I started looking at chainsaw milling. It’s kind of ideal for squaring up peelers. Though, the rigging for a CSM can be kind of clunky to lag onto an 8” fir. I looked at the little CSM setups that Norwood and others had, but with a decent track setup, it’s $1500+. Around the same time I stumbled across this video:

Here’s my plan:

1. Build something similar, but use metal instead. A couple of the main changes I’ll make is to build a plate that bolts to the existing bar studs, instead of drilling the bar. I also plan on an adjustable frame that clamps onto the far end of the bar with an auxiliary oiler.

2. Convert my Makita DCS-6401 to a 7900 — I ordered the parts from sawagain, they’ll be here tomorrow.

Seems simple enough. Most of what I’ll be cutting is 8-20” fir. I will be running a 28” ripping chain and Oregon Powercut bar.

I’ve gathered from this site, that two of the more tedious things to CS milling are chain sharpening and very frequent air filter cleaning. I purchased an Oregon bench grinder/sharpener. In regard to the air filter I have a question.

Has anyone made a remote air filter setup? I was thinking of using an old air filter base as a boot, attaching a vacuum hose (or other similar flexible tube, as vacuum hoses can split and the splits can be difficult to spot), hole sawing through the top cover, running the hose to a remote location where I can run a larger air filter from a motorcycle or similar. I’d step up the diameter early on in the hose/pipe assembly. The larger filter medium will be further from the dust and more surface area=less frequent cleaning.

I’ll size the hose and pipe assembly to eliminate any restrictions, as I know 79cc is a tiny air pump. One possible beneficial side effect is the straightening of the air before it enters the carburetor. If anyone watches Engine Masters, they tested all types of filter elements and found that filter media surface area is far less important than straightened out (less turbulent) air flow as it enters the carburetor. Think velocity stacks or salad bowl style. In fact, IIRC, they had a 14x3 round filter that also had a filter media lid; and that filter made more power with tape over the side media and only the lid exposed.

Anyway, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. I’ll be posting along the way to document the process and pick everyone’s brains.

Found this video. Similar in concept and made primarily out of metal as I will do. Mine will mostly be welded however.

Parts came for the 7900 conversion from sawagain. However, they have a slip of paper in the package encouraging the user to rebuild the carburetor, though it’s mostly geared towards an end user that’s had a saw seize up from a lean condition. I may buy a new intake boot and carb kit just in case.

I was thinking also, what happens when places like sawagain run out of oem parts for this saw? Happened to me with my older Kubota. Factory quit supporting it, parts became unobtainium. I’m thinking I may order a few spare top ends, couple bottom ends, etc just to stockpile. I’m going to see how much I like milling with this saw.

I read the specs on the 7900 stock; 6.3hp. Pretty respectable for a 79cc saw when you compare it to a 94cc husky 395xp at 6.6hp or a 79cc stihl 500i at 6.7hp.

Back