Good Money After Bad? The Ported 543xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
IMG_6702.jpg

Many years ago, I heard Husqvarna was going to be bringing out a new 40cc saw, the 543xp. As someone who likes that size class for much of the cutting I do, this really piqued my interest. Despite what many folks on the interwebs would have you believe, the 40cc-class saws do fill a niche that the 50cc saws do not directly fill; a 242xp and a 346xp are not direct competitors, they handle and behave very differently. After many years of hoping that Husqvarna would bring the 543xpg to the US, and vacillating on whether to spend $750-800 to bring one here on my own (I just couldn't do it, knowing I'd be spending on porting, too), I decided to buy a non-G 543xp. In December, I ordered one from Spike60 and sent it directly to mweba for some attention right out the gate.

For some info on mweba's work on this saw platform, here's an older thread: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/inside-the-husqvarna-543xp.260309/

I mounted up a 13" NK bar and some 20-series Oregon chain, and put five tanks through this saw on Saturday; it had seen two tanks in Mitch's hands after he built it. All the cutting was on the log table, blocking hardwood up into firewood lengths. At seven tanks through it, this saw flat out rips and seems to still be loosening up. Throttle response is great. No fines made it through or around the mesh air filter. Though I'm presently without any 242xp or 246 saws to compare it to, it handily outperforms those saws from my recollection. Throttle response seems close to my 238se, but power is way ahead. Handling seems to be on a par with that platform, too. It is unquestionably more nimble than the 346xp or 550 (mk1) platform.

I am planning to get out in the woods for some thinning and limbing work in the coming weeks, cutting buckthorn and honeysuckle (so 2-6" material with the occasional 12" trunk), because this thin-and-limb work is where the handling benefits of this size saw really shines.

For people who have complained about the build quality of the plastics on this saw model, I can see what they are saying. The feel to the plastic definitely not the same as a 3-series Husqvarna, which is also different from the feel of 2-series Husqvarna plastic. But it isn't creaky or brittle and appears robust enough, though time will tell. The choke lever looks a bit like a part off a toy saw, but it feels good in use. The kill button is a bit annoying and I bumped it a few times by accident; apparently I brace my right thumb against the saw body on the left side of the throttle grip sometimes, which is not a problem on a 2- or 3-series Husqvarna. Better saw holding technique addressed that issue.

The easy-start starter is obviously unnecessary, but it is actually not annoying at all. I was surprised by that, as other easy-start systems I have tried were annoying. In actual cutting, its added width was a non-issue.

So, the crucial question: is this saw worth $800? Because that's about what it is gonna cost you between the purchase of the saw new and then doing the porting work. I think the answer is a definite maybe: if your cutting is the sort that favors a 242xp, then I think that this saw in its ported form makes sense - it is new and parts aren't NLA. For my usual woods work, this seems like a great choice thus far and if it holds up over the long haul then I feel like it presents a good value proposition. If anyone is interested in this saw but likes red more than orange, you can get it as a Redmax 4350, also.

If your cutting is not the sort that is a perfect fit for the 242xp's skills, then no, you probably are better served with something else - Makita/Dolmar 421 on the smaller end or a 50cc pro saw on the larger end.

IMG_6700.jpg

Well, finally got back out to do some proper cutting in the woods and not on the wood pile. Ran two tanks through the 543 and one through the 238. Same 13" NK bars running 20LP (LPX?) loops that have been sharpened a million times by me. Task for the day: start clearing buckthorn and honeysuckle from a section of one of the parks in town. I spent about three hours cutting, dragging, and stacking (making bird/rabbit habitat piles). Most of the wood was 2-5", but some multi-stem trees were 10" at the base when I cut them flush with the ground, and there was some larger cottonwood and maple deadfall that I cut up.

1. Handling. The 543 is everything the 238/242 was in terms of handling. Period. It feels good, swings about well, and flips onto its side and back upright nimbly. All the arguments about the plastic feeling cheap, or at least different, fades when you actually use the saw. Side-by-side with the 238, they both felt equally sturdy and nimble. A/V was about the same, and pretty good for rubber buffer A/V. Grip spacing is essentially identical to the 238/242 platform, which is to say it is smaller/closer together than the 346 or 550 platforms.

2. Performance. The 238 still revs faster in stock form and without a timing advance, but the 543 isn't too far off and it sure lugs harder; being ported, though, it ought to do. Truth is, it probably wants an 8t rim for the sort of small cutting it was seeing in order to load the engine enough to put its power to full use. Fuel economy was actually very good in this sort of cutting; it had seemed super-thirsty when we were running it on bar-buried cuts on the firewood table. In the really small wood (3-4") I think the 238 has the edge. In bigger stuff the 543 pulls ahead hard.

3. EZ Start. It has it, and it isn't annoying in use where you're shutting the saw off and restarting it a lot. This surprised me.

4. Value. Is this saw worth $800? So far, I don't feel like I made a bad purchase for what I wanted a saw to do. With the 241 gone, the only other non-plastic options in this class appear to be the Makita/Dolmar 4300/421 and the non-US Echo 390esx. The Dolmar is clearly the value leader. And the 390esx is going to cost nearly $700 to get it to the US, and then porting on top of that.

All in all, a fun way to spend a Saturday morning.

IMG_7324.jpg

Sample photo of after:

IMG_7323.jpg

Sample photo of before:

IMG_7320.jpg

Went out this weekend to clean up storm damage on a MTB trail. Was advised there were a couple 36” oaks down, so in addition to the 543xp in the Dakine Builder Pack (29L), along with me came the 7900/28”. Apparently whoever scouted the trail is a fisherman - the “36 inch” stems were more like 22”. Luckily a buddy had his hands free and wanted to be useful, so he humped the 7900 through the woods most of the way.

Not surprisingly, the 543/13” combo worked great for this. Wood ranged from 6-22”, all hardwood, and much of it was tangled with other trees and vines. Plunge cut, over bucking on the bigger logs, and a couple judiciously placed redhead wedges and the work was done. Hiking with the saw in a backpack was a breeze.

Having cut with this saw more since my last update, the handling benefits of this chassis over the 346, 261, 550, and 5100 chassis/form factor have become increasingly evident. As ported, and now fully broken in, it clearly has some serious power. So basically I have a saw that handles and cuts like a well ported 242, without all the NLA parts.

I am struggling to see what the point of keeping my non-ported 346 is at this point. If I would import and then port a 543xpg, my ported 346xpg wouldn’t see much use anymore, either.

I absolutely am getting my money’s worth on this little saw!

Good review so far, I have two 346’s in the pile, they run I just don’t have the time yet. I did follow the advise on building my 350 it actually kicks butt for a little saw.

Note. After seeing my 353 fall 10’ out of a tree I bought two xxv Poulan for $30 each with a Montgomery Wards saw too. My expensive saws don’t climb anymore.

Any followup thoughts after six months?

Yeah, I wish we could get them with heat here!

I continue to be pleased with this little saw. My last few cutting outings have been with a 5100sh working in mostly 4-16" material that a tree service dumped off and the extra ounces (pounds?) and the increased bulk of the saw were noticeable. And unnecessary, frankly. To the extent that the 5100 (ported) cuts faster in that sort of work, which really only happens in the bar buried stuff, who cares? Should have brought the 543!

Long ago Dave Neiger (a saw racer/builder who some of you may remember or have heard of) brought a couple ported saws to a GTG in northern Michigan, including a woods ported 353 and the Jonsered equivalent, along with a couple fun race saws. He made the point that as he got older, the ported 50cc saws were far more appealing to run for firewood and most tasks than the 60, 70, or 80cc ones were. I brushed that off at the time, figuring it would be decades before that would apply to me, and darn it, I could lean on my 7900 way harder than I could lean on his Jonsered in the same 10x10 cant. Yeah, time flies and there is truth in wisdom, I guess, because I'm grabbing the 40-50cc ported saws most of the time already and I'm not even 50!

A cutting table? DUDE! You take your firewood length obligations to the extreme! I aint ever measured a stick of firewood in my life!

That's @CaseyForrest's setup. He's all about precision. He even has one of those magnetic firewood length measuring stick things. It's actually pretty cool and I'm going to get one for myself, honestly. But I digress. Apart from the table's use as a tool for measurement, though, it is fantastic for the lower back to be able to cut up high and then push the rounds straight into the splitter, and then have the splits fall onto a conveyor and get dumped into bags where they stay until they are seasoned (1 face cord per bag). That near-zero handling approach only really works with perfectly straight logs, but for those times that it does work it is pure joy.

Good review so far, I have two 346’s in the pile, they run I just don’t have the time yet. I did follow the advise on building my 350 it actually kicks butt for a little saw.

Note. After seeing my 353 fall 10’ out of a tree I bought two xxv Poulan for $30 each with a Montgomery Wards saw too. My expensive saws don’t climb anymore.

The 346 platform is a fantastic saw design, and I'll lump the 340-345-350-351-353 into that assessment for sharing a chassis and footprint. Handling is great and in 353/346 form it has definitely held its place in the 50cc world for a long time. That said, you can feel the difference in handling between that platform and the 238/242 platform and now the 543 platform. A few more ounces and a few more tenths of a horsepower is not always the best upgrade.

I heard the 346 Xp and 242 xp are suppose to be good saws.

I had a close call being greedy cutting tops down to thin branches to burn. The bigger saw kicked back across my boot above my toes. I use smaller saws now for smaller wood but leave the tops. I wore that boot a long time reminding me about that mishap.

I heard the 346 Xp and 242 xp are suppose to be good saws.

I had a close call being greedy cutting tops down to thin branches to burn. The bigger saw kicked back across my boot above my toes. I use smaller saws now for smaller wood but leave the tops. I wore that boot a long time reminding me about that mishap.

Thinner material definitely cuts better - smoother, less kickback risk - with smaller saws and smaller cutters (.325, 3/8LP). Especially if the stuff being cut is capable of moving around, like when you're trimming up saplings and such. A light 40-50cc class saw, 13" bar, .325" chain works great for this work.

242 (and 238) were wonderful little saws for the stuff they were designed to do. Low torque but high RPM, great throttle response, and a really nimble package. Limbing and thinning work is their forte, but they have the ability to cut big stuff, too, if you treat them more like a scalpel than a steak knife.

My 346 has a 18" bar and the same chain all my other bigger huskies have. It cuts great. I have a good friends dad that is close to 80 and has been in the woods all his life and actually fells with a 346. They are a very capable little saw. CJ

I have a 543xp and really enjoy the saw. My son did a muffler mod removed the limiters the saw cuts very well. We run a square ground.325 full comp chain on16 inch bar. I would like to get a 8 rim sprocket to possibly load the saw more. It's just the right size for limping and storm cleanup. Thanks for description above.

Got a few more tanks through it since I last updated the thread, including a couple yesterday cutting buckthorn, of which half was regrowth from areas we cut/treated 7 years ago. Much of this was actually brushcutter work, but the saw was light enough to do double-duty as a brushcutter and chainsaw! Our next workday will get back into proper tree-sized work (4-10"), which I am looking forward to. Now that municipal COVID restrictions on organizing volunteer workdays have come to an end, we should be out cutting (and letting the college-aged volunteers drag and stack the brush!) more regularly. This saw is definitely the first pick for this work; the 238 and 42 may come out from time to time for fun, but this one is the ticket for work of this type.

This saw continues to run great, starts super easy, and handles well. From a build quality and ergonomics standpoint, I can comfortably give it a solid endorsement at this point. For someone who does trail work (hiking or MTB), or just prefers a smaller firewood saw, this form factor is great.

IMG_2290 (1).jpg

With another year+ of use on this saw, I figured it was time for an update.

Over the past year, I've really only run three saws: this guy, a ported 5100sh, and a 625 Jonsered with a ported 272 top end. I added an Echo SRM-410U with a 9" Oregon Maxi blade, so a lot of my small diameter cutting is now done with that machine instead of a chainsaw.

The 543xp continues to impress. It has essentially obsoleted my 238se, 42, and 346xp, and while the ported 346xpg still has a power edge on it, it usually isn't enough for me to care. The 5100sh is just bigger and bulkier, and really only gets used when cutting on the firewood production table. This little ported 543xp is 100% the go-to saw for everything up to 20" out in the woods, which in pratical terms means 99% of what I cut anyore, and it is the saw of choice for all of my firewood cutting at home.

At this point it is completely broken in and loosened up, obviously, and it behaves much more like a 242xp now than it did when it was still tight. Throttle response is great, power is great (especially if you keep the revs up and let it spin), and it handles really well. Starting is easy, and it is happy running hot or cold.

Last weekend it took on the task of dropping, limbing, and blocking up some Austrian pine in the 16-23" range, including flush-cutting the stumps at ground level, and then cleaning up some storm damage and broken limbs, such as on the tree pictured above. It was run alongside a friend's 545 Gen1, both with 13" bars and 20LP chain, and had a definite edge on that saw. Used side-by-side, we both preferred the handling of the 543 to the 545 Gen1. Other than for making two final cuts up against the trunk of the pictured tree, the 365 didn't get used at all.

Not much more to add at this point, except to say that this experience reinforces my view that a light, nimble, lively saw can be very productive, even in situations that might normally draw users to a larger machine. If it were possible to make the 543xp behave like this from the factory, or to make the Stihl 241 behave like a ported 241, I think we would see a lot fewer 550s, 261s, and Farmboss/Rancher saws sold.

View attachment 1033662

With another year+ of use on this saw, I figured it was time for an update.

Over the past year, I've really only run three saws: this guy, a ported 5100sh, and a 625 Jonsered with a ported 272 top end. I added an Echo SRM-410U with a 9" Oregon Maxi blade, so a lot of my small diameter cutting is now done with that machine instead of a chainsaw.

The 543xp continues to impress. It has essentially obsoleted my 238se, 42, and 346xp, and while the ported 346xpg still has a power edge on it, it usually isn't enough for me to care. The 5100sh is just bigger and bulkier, and really only gets used when cutting on the firewood production table. This little ported 543xp is 100% the go-to saw for everything up to 20" out in the woods, which in pratical terms means 99% of what I cut anyore, and it is the saw of choice for all of my firewood cutting at home.

At this point it is completely broken in and loosened up, obviously, and it behaves much more like a 242xp now than it did when it was still tight. Throttle response is great, power is great (especially if you keep the revs up and let it spin), and it handles really well. Starting is easy, and it is happy running hot or cold.

Last weekend it took on the task of dropping, limbing, and blocking up some Austrian pine in the 16-23" range, including flush-cutting the stumps at ground level, and then cleaning up some storm damage and broken limbs, such as on the tree pictured above. It was run alongside a friend's 545 Gen1, both with 13" bars and 20LP chain, and had a definite edge on that saw. Used side-by-side, we both preferred the handling of the 543 to the 545 Gen1. Other than for making two final cuts up against the trunk of the pictured tree, the 365 didn't get used at all.

Not much more to add at this point, except to say that this experience reinforces my view that a light, nimble, lively saw can be very productive, even in situations that might normally draw users to a larger machine. If it were possible to make the 543xp behave like this from the factory, or to make the Stihl 241 behave like a ported 241, I think we would see a lot fewer 550s, 261s, and Farmboss/Rancher saws sold.

If you're willing to try a 16" bar on it you'll definitely be a fan of the stihl RSP chain, it's. 325x50x66 on a 16" bar - it cuts fast and butter smooth.

This update is excellent news as finding parts for the 242 and 238 i have to keep running them professionally is already a chore and a half. Now if only I could find a red one as I think the Zenoah colors fit it better.

Latest posts

Back