ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Good Morning check in

Broken

Broken

The Great White North...Eh !
Morning folks ! 12 f heading to another balmy 23 f sunny afternoon up North here . In the garage burning hard rock maple and some mountain ash . 73 f on the inside Mark Martin Nascar Thermometer . I fired up the smoker with some Venision steaks with hickory for an hour seasoning . I have 4 white pine logs to buck up that my buddy dropped off yesterday on his way into town from up north . He had his dual axle trailer loaded to the max from his wood lot behind his hunting camp . Apparently he had all he could handle on the way in , his 4wd duallie was pushing snow into the camp about 1/4 mile of the main highway . Although he has a ford tractor there with a blower that he keeps the road cleared with normally however with the pandemic has not been up north for 2 weeks . I told him to drop over at Miller Time ! :drinkingcoffee:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
good morning :drinkingcoffee: ...and the fun continues! another freezing night ahead. low 20s promised. 31f currently and 1613661737055.png 35f a high. some winds and rains... got yesterday's agenda taken care of... hauled in our water. beats what one lady had to do and was on tv news... caught lowering a milk gallon it looked like by rope... down into the bayou below the small bridge she was on. filling up a larger bucket... reportedly so she could flush the toilet! some times...'ya gotta do what ya gotta do!' :popcorn2:

today: haul in water again. KP later on. after chow call. still no water. remain guarded! today's plans include cleaning out COH water meter some more to find on/off. go off. when we fully warm back up... take it one step at a time to see if ok and can be back on line. plenty ceilings and the mess... shown on tv news of late! one family had to leave got so cold... yes, when the dog's water bowl freezes inside the home... too cold for me! then their power came on... and when returned, had a burned out house! lost all of here hubby's USMC memorabilia, pix, medals, etc. :cry: sad! :( 4,000,000 w/o power yesterday, many in our area...we are down to only 50,000 w/o power this morning. tv news said it was good news! but am thinking 50,000 would not agree!

BIG politica hoop-la over the statewide power outages...

we have a serious garden die back! frozen to the bone. now looks like a platoon of NVA ambushed over once cold morning over in VN! ~ onions, leeks .and tomato plants look like they were growing spinach... and it was of the already cooked variety! :rolleyes:
1613662509605.png

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Glad the temps are warming a little and the storm is behind you . Hope all goes well with the plumbing work . May be time to think about pex rather than copper , much more forgiving ! ;)
hi B - yeah, familiar with PEX. guess to do meter to house, then redo the house, shouldn't run more than... $10-12K... :popcorn2:

:rolleyes:

if I can find a plumber not too busy! lol :cool:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Good morning. 27* 4-8" of white stuff by the guessers. Happy Drink Wine day. Looks like a good day to stay in the shop and feed the stove. I filled a bin with dry locust and took it in the shop yesterday so it should keep it nice and toasty. Have a swell day men. FS.
great thot on a day like this! bota always great on a ski run...
1613663239627.png

wine goes well with dinner... seems some neighbors wine too much... :cry: lol, come to think about it, wine is just about fine for any time!! more or less...

wine... (more)
:drinking:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Good morning all 3F and out of the sub zero temps finally so great day ahead Nothing broke yesterday but had 1 truck battery go bad , just part of the territory and easy enough to replace Battery was 2 1/2 years old an advanced auto replaced free of charge , no questions no hassle great policy Stay warm and stay safe
and now you got a new battery! :numberone:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
11F/-12C up to 25F/-4C and mostly dry today. Painting a couple of bathrooms today so I can work on my claustrophobia. Then maybe some electrical. Make it a good one everybody.
View attachment 890445
hi Om - city meter for me... first run, couldn't find on/off. was getting dark. ground soft. i had covered it. some research off online... suggests: hint - look in front of supply line to meter from street! :rolleyes: oh, ok!.....
1613663846782.png

makes sense to me, once thot about it... guess will use a crescent and s.driver... since all my meter keys up country....

have a good day. warm. funny, for better out of box! ;)

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Good Morning. 15°F/ -9°C going up to 26°F/ -3°C
hi ray - had power outage #6 close to 10 pm news last nite... weather. came back on. went for walk soon after. 1 mile. rest of my street 1/2 mile of houses... no power! makes for dark, cold street...

so glad each time the power boots back up! :bowdown: 1613664453742.png

your high may be our low or close tonite... :cold:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Morning folks ! 12 f heading to another balmy 23 f sunny afternoon up North here . In the garage burning hard rock maple and some mountain ash . 73 f on the inside Mark Martin Nascar Thermometer . I fired up the smoker with some Venision steaks with hickory for an hour seasoning . I have 4 white pine logs to buck up that my buddy dropped off yesterday on his way into town from up north . He had a his dual axle trailer loaded to the max from his wood lot behind his hunting camp . Apparently he had all he could handle on the way in , his 4wd duallie was pushing snow into the camp about 1/4 mile of the main highway . Although he has a ford tractor there with a blower that he keeps the road cleared with normally however with the pandemic has not been up north for 2 weeks . I told him to drop over at Miller Time ! :drinkingcoffee:
balmy was a word tv weatherman Travis used yesterday about upcoming weather next week. sounds like it mite be more user-friendly than what we are getting currently....

>I told him to drop over at Miller Time !

man!, what a guy.... :numberone:

:cheers:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
warming up outside... now 32f! :rolleyes: but, alas... that water meter can fill with dirt by itself... good at that! - but it won't dig the dirt off itself... no doubt about that! lol

neighbor said he had to get out and about... on the road, had seen an ad he liked. cabin fever. he likes antiques. out looking at some antiques and found a heck of a deal on an old Motorola ~ sent me this message... said he he had to have it...
zzzzxrdo.JPG

have a nice day!

'over n out!'

djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good afternoon all, 20° at chores time and cloudy. Animals are fed and watered, bipeds fed and out the door for some early morning shopping. I like to get out and back before the snow hits the fan. I didn't need much but wifey did and she doesn't like to drive in the winter. So I drive Miss Daisy all winter now, joy. Weather prognosticators are saying that we might not get much at all, which won't hurt my feelings. I already have a skating rink in the driveway and down to the garage and barn. It's a little uneven, like a washboard, but it's slick. More ash from the boiler should help. I'll check in a while. Play safe out there.

ray benson

ray benson

Tree Freak
hi ray - had power outage #6 close to 10 pm news last nite... weather. came back on. went for walk soon after. 1 mile. rest of my street 1/2 mile of houses... no power! makes for dark, cold street...

so glad each time the power boots back up! :bowdown: View attachment 890486

your high may be our low or close tonite... :cold:
Been reading about the Texas power issues. Perfect storm. Big plants shut down for maintenance - so they can go full bore in the summer. Your 10% wind capacity shut down because of weather and ice. Natural gas power plants not properly insulated for cold weather , same as issue they had in 2011. And they say Texas isn't hooked in to the national grid, so we can't help ya. :surprised3:

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Evening guys.
Managed to find a few things to do today :).
Buddy stopped by with a Honda snowblower, the auger wasn't spinning on one side, I figured it was just the shear pin. Once he got here with it I saw it and realized the bolt that holds the auger to an adapter(sort of) which the shear pin goes thru, was missing. I'm not sure if the smaller bolt(10mm head) came loose or was loose and sheared off, but it wasn't there. Off to the ace hardware and we grabbed a couple new bolts and a couple nylock(spelling ?) nuts. Didn't even spend a dollar :clap:, that's a pretty cheap fix. Sent him on his way after another buddy arrived and hung out with him for a while.
Hope you guys had a great day too.

SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
warming up outside... now 32f! :rolleyes: but, alas... that water meter can fill with dirt by itself... good at that! - but it won't dig the dirt off itself... no doubt about that! lol

neighbor said he had to get out and about... on the road, had seen an ad he liked. cabin fever. he likes antiques. out looking at some antiques and found a heck of a deal on an old Motorola ~ sent me this message... said he he had to have it...
View attachment 890488

have a nice day!

'over n out!'
Days are lengthening. With the extra warmth turning top of snow into vapor, sun helped, I tried driving out, pecking with the post hole shovel in between, til 6 this evening. Not to long ago got dark about 4:35 IIRC. Darking now (6:05) a few minutes later. Did put front tires on street and was clearing a bit more for a good run onto road since line of sight is not a lot. Above freezing they project for tomorrow, so may be able to get to the auction house I was at last Saturday. It was postponed a week I found out after arriving:angry:
Good evening