ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Good Morning check in

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
well, the plumber guy finally showed up. had a truck covered, lockable bed full of this and that and buckets of fittings. with this and his TX lis
ence # on front fender... little doubt to me this guy was a plumber. seemed a bit young! he is a youthful Tex-Mex... 31! but knew how to sell himself... 'i am a journeyman plumber, grew up in a plumbing family... been at it all my life... my Dad is a Master, my uncle is a Master, my brother and all my cousins are journeyman... all working towards being Master...

:heart:

i thought, well... hmm.... :wtf: we were barely 20 + and flying jets and landing them on aircraft carriers... i decided to show him the job!
Did he show ya his "credentials":laughing:.
Hope you get everything fixed quick, I've been without water, not fun.

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
the kid was great! had a bigger wrench than mine! lol. but still some of those connections were all but impossible to bust loose. and with a supply shortage we had to get creative so the job could get completed and be sound. namely needed a 3/4" 90. female. that connected to the 3/4" up supply pipe to attic... and so plumber ran PEX to 90 to turn thru outside wall, then PEX 90 to a curve up to the 3/4" galv we scrounged off the old piping. it had a 3/4" copper flare in it... and but for a vise bolted to bench and a bench bolted to wall studs and two arms holding other length of pipe 18" or so to hold rigid in vise and 2 more arms pushing on the large 16" crescent... it would not have been removable! almost wasn't. but it did... give. :happybanana: same with other end... took both of use to get it to go. it did and threads good. small chisel to knock out the rust, then drill driven wire spiral to clean... oh how the rusty dust flew... then pipe dope. :cool: and now as they say... we are good to go! :numberone:and back on line... :rock2:

out with the old... no wrenches, just saws-all hack saw... made quick work of it... lol
P1010018.JPG

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
in with the new...

and I had him add a full length pipe wrap I had to the 3/4" up to attic supply line... newly added wrap... even if just maybe a year or two late.... lol :givebeer:
P1010009.JPG P1010014.JPG
initially, a frustrating situation to say the least!... but with a great outcome! better than new, with a very bright prospect. actually, kinda glad it happened. much a'mo betta now! :) and i learned a thing or two, too... no doubt was time to get rid of the old near industrial oil refinery looking piping connection system... some things get over-due with time. i guess one day they might even say the same about me... lol :blob2:

sometimes, you just get lucky! :cool:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Hi BL,,, Really sorry to hear about all the problems you folks are having in Texas,,, hope you are doing OK...
hi kb - thanks! we are doing fine and have been relatively comfortable. managing. but city is full of tens of thousands of sad stories...

stay warm! :)

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
hi chipper - funny you should ask? the QB jokingly said same... 'be sure to ck his license, that's what they say on the tv!'
:laugh: :numberone:

>Hope you get everything fixed quick,

2.5 hr repair ~ and back on line... we be happy! :havingarest:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
well, it may not have been too much fun for us, but the herbs seemed to like it. i left a florescent light on in garage and they were under it. seemed to flourish in all the extra light.... they all stood tall, perky and sassy... unlike some of their less fortunate cousins out in garden
P1010001.JPG
P1010002.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010004.JPG

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
just to further address the situation here in Houston... this just off neighborhood FB rag...

guy works HD, just posted - all the area Home Depot stores surrounding Houston area have NO: copper, PVC, PEX, Sharkbite, ...anything and no connectors, tools, cutters... and DO NOT know when will be able to resupply or get in!

o_O

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
uh-huh! :yes: being just short of desperate.... he 'qualed ' ez! besides, i liked the size of his pipe wrench! ;)

DIY is great! but sometimes best to just go pro-level...

and sometimes you just get lucky:

total cost for the repair, system check out and flush, old out, new in, and water again - etc...

just under $200! :numberone:.

to celebrate :cheers:we grilled up some chops, pork steaks and strips...
P1010026.JPG
P1010027.JPG P1010028.JPG

SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
uh-huh! :yes: being just short of desperate.... he 'qualed' ez! besides, i liked the size of his pipe wrench! ;)

DIY is great! but sometimes best to just go pro-level...

and sometimes you just get lucky:

total cost for the repair, system check out and flush, etc... just under $200! :numberone:.

to celebrate :cheers:we grilled up some chops, pork steaks and strips...
View attachment 890840
View attachment 890841 View attachment 890842
@Backyard Lumberjack , good to hear the job was done for resonable :envy: price. Childhood plumbing emergency on Christmas day!
We can all imagine finding a plumber to make emergency call on that holiday.
Temp nearly doubled to 34°:happybanana:

djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
i was encouraged to get a plumber... [haha!] to come and inspect 'our plumbing'... o_O [as a matter of reference, called several yesterday. quote ok. 2 called back, 4 either mailbox full, or not taking calls at this time! (lol, guess swamped!) why? i asked.... to do what? tell me i have a leak! lol ;) ... knowing the house like back of my hand... been here a few :givebeer:'s.... first step - house off, it was. 2nd step, turn off meter cause frozen supply may have busted. in case u didn't know a frozen pipe expands about 9%... and that can create pressures upwards of 40,000 psi! [:surprised3:] then the reference said, 'and the pipe cannot take that!' oic - :laughing: no ch*t! step 3 check inside NW corner to garage in storage closet where old water softener used to be. vulnerable. should have prepped area better, but alas... didn't! outside only at on/off. so it din't take too much investigating and the situation was quite clear. busted pipe. valve actually. and not just one, but 2! so, need a line between all that old plumbing... after 6 calls this morning to here, there and almost everywhere... found an area hardware store with all we need. all but out on pvc and has lots of galv stuff. and the line i want to use. 2 days ago up at a HD N of town... the line was over 350 deep! and only allowing in 6 at a time! and we have seen on here n there... many going to supply places, like big boxes... are plumbers... buying out shelves at a time! all in all... loosing proposition, imo.... :omg:

Broken or Busted... all the same to me... leaks! frozen pipe ice damage
View attachment 890637 View attachment 890638
Having busted pipes is no fun and we do all that we can to prevent that from happening up here. First off we insulate the pipes and then the basement, maybe even some heat tape but most importantly we generate our own electricity. Almost every home in the area has a generator of some kind to take care of basic needs. We have been without electricity for up to 10 days at the most, if my memory is correct. We've had to travel several miles to get gas for the generator in some cases but we couldn't let the boiler water freeze or the house water pipes freeze or the food spoil. Spoilage in the winter time is less of a problem. Self-sufficiency is the name of the game we play. Good luck with your repairs.

djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
hi chipper - funny you should ask? the QB jokingly said same... 'be sure to ck his license, that's what they say on the tv!'
:laugh: :numberone:

>Hope you get everything fixed quick,

2.5 hr repair ~ and back on line... we be happy! :havingarest:
When you're drowning and someone throws you a life jacket, you don't stop and ask if it's certified.

djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good afternoon all, 8° at chores time this AM. Animals are fed and watered, bipeds fed and lunch is done too. Had to weld my plow again yesterday, those ice banks are mighty hard. One of the bracing straps broke in the middle. Not even near any welding runs. So we did it again. It took 3 of us to do it, me, myself and I. It's up and running again but it won't rotate all the way around. Looks like the center pipe has a slight bend to it. May have to break down and buy a new one this year. This one has been written off for many years already. Maybe I can make a 3 pt. log lift out of it. Waste not, want not. Play safe out there.

knockbill

knockbill

Addicted to ArboristSite
hi kb - thanks! we are doing fine and have been relatively comfortable. managing. but city is full of tens of thousands of sad stories...

stay warm! :)
Yep,,, we're better prepared for this weather then folks down south,,, still sucks tho!!! Glad you got fixed up OK...
Warm aint a problem here, just filled the stack by the stove!!!

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Went for fuel yesterday. A little slushy around the pumps from the blowing snow. A girl pulled in behind me and got out slippin and slidin all over the place. From the dirty look I got I guess she heard me muttering something about diamond studded flip flops weren't the best footwear in the snow. :laughing:
That's funny stuff right there.
I was out shoveling in my PJ's and a flannel with my knee high camo muck boots, in the city it might have looked strange, to the neighbors it wasn't anything out of the ordinary:happy:.

SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's funny stuff right there.
I was out shoveling in my PJ's and a flannel with my knee high camo muck boots, in the city it might have looked strange, to the neighbors it wasn't anything out of the ordinary:happy:.
Just met a neighbor (I've only been here 9 years) who had intended to blade my drive for several days. His trips to town go the other way. I'm not introducing myself by asking a favor. So being stuck here since Monday, and working my way out yesterday I think it was, he shows up and blades the drive when forecast is 40's over next 2 days and 60+ Tuesday. Ron is a good man and my memory has been scrambled since 1972, so slack is cut. There is a Power greater than me with a sense of humor like mine which plays also. :yes: :laughing: