ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Good Morning check in

SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
rains and storms again in first of next week. another front passing thru...
windmill here still buzzin'... and pointed to the North! :surprised3:
BL at 7 am huge area of rain along border with Iowa attumwa Iowa bout center and reached 1/4- 1/3 across Illinois. Western tail passed over here 11 am for a few minutes as that system came south and east. Hope clouds saty in place. Enough water on ground to make humidity bad with after noon sun
G'day

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Morning folks ! 53 f heading to 72 f . 3rd hazelnut & Joe . Playing in the garage , have two lawnmower blades to sharpen & balance . Had a little rain overnite , good for the grass . Smoking some pork loins for peameal bacon in hickory . Finished all the grass trimming yesterday afternoon . Have a productive day :drinkingcoffee:
nothing like a plate of pork n beans! any way one wants to stack it. had some for lunch yesterday. smoked pork ribs w/2 sides. smoke house BBQ and sides DIY! my investment a bit over $4.00 i figure... +/-... 'over the counter at bbq place...' $13.99! 3 ribs, 2 sides... some bread, bbs n/c. pint of pintos there: $7.99!, mine here 15-cents! their potato salad, close to same $6.99!. the whole rib slab: $28.00! [27 & change]. last time i bot a whole slab, maybe 2 yr ago or so... pre-covid... $18.00. during covid i got a half... whole had jumped to $23. then i had later on a rib plate and 2 sides... and other day whole slab to take home: $28.00! pricey. but, imo... beats the time to smoke it DIY, although i could have done several slabs with my offset smoker. and over the counter, no clean up! lol. and then break it down into meals... and well, not a bad deal overall, imo. i mean a plate of ribs like this and couple sides... $4.00 or so - workx for me! :cool: as in a :numberone:rib plate...
P1010147.JPG

yum!
P1010148.JPG

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Mornin' folks. 13ºC and cloudy. We managed to load up the kiln this morning, processing firewood for fall order deliveries.
We haven't had the kiln running since March. A lovely discovery in the kiln this morning, in the southeast corner. Wondering now how to deal with this. We were thinking a small tube of something that will either kill or drive out the bugs. First thing come to mind is WD-40 because of its narrow tube. I don't know if it would kill the bugs or not. We don't know what bug it is.

View attachment 920202 View attachment 920203
good country livin'!!! gotta keep an eye out for them bugs! no shortage... opened the screen door to my bunkhouse other day... and there she was! a big black widow. and not to happy to see me! she was immediately on my relocation agenda. didn't want no spider bite from her! :omg:
P1010116.JPG
next day she was ant food... and down went the ant dust...

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
BL at 7 am huge area of rain along border with Iowa attumwa Iowa bout center and reached 1/4- 1/3 across Illinois. Western tail passed over here 11 am for a few minutes as that system came south and east. Hope clouds saty in place. Enough water on ground to make humidity bad with after noon sun
G'day
hi SeMoT - lots of water, nice stream... and good use of your stone staircase. nice job there! imo... :)

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
When we found termites in 2013, the Orkin dude made a comment about spray in insulation, saying it can take quite awhile to find them because
they are so well hidden underneath. This probably applies to many other types of pests I doubt you have termites, it's not their M.O.

Maybe some type of wasp or bettle I'd definitely have a look see, otherwise you don't know what you're up against
ugh! - stay tuned.... for BL's country wasp adventure...

preview:
P1010049.JPG

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Kiln group I run on Facebook said to get the kiln heated up to 150ºF and run it for a bit. Which would work, as heat treating lumber for 24hrs generally will kill all pests present. Like I said a minute ago over there "Just loaded it this morning with 2 cord firewood. Compressor safety is 130ºF on the Nyle 200, so I've never had it over 125-126ºF. No need to heat treat firewood. But, might have to this time."
I always have to heat treat my firewood... lol, with kindling! :yes:
[sorry - couldn't resist]

got the farm's main fireplace flue cleaned other day. brought in a chimneysweep. pro level! like some of my air filters, was a bit overdue. :rolleyes: now all set for a few years of toasty winter living with a nice cozy fire. only oak this time. i had mostly used oak, but some dry softer, too. over the years. it showed. all set with some firewood heat treating kindling down under, cedar... and some oak. small stuff for stage two... bigger chunks and stix to go...
P1010136.JPG
unit is a ranchowner DIY install w/some custom mods to hearth... Majestic Estate 54"... few yrs back. :) with pro-team builders... farm and town, 'they could do it all!'

i like it when 'one-match' ready.... usually only first fire for the season...
1627752604227.png

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
2 pots coffee done now, 1 and a 1/2... , bit past noon. time to be more useful. but sometimes just relaxing is more fun! plenty dangers here n there, or so it seems... just like out in the country, one has to be careful where one puts hand or turns knob. leather gloves suggested! sorta reminds me of this site from time to time... 'it's there, just can't get in!' lol... if a pix is worth a thou words... an essay to ponder. ... definitely, one for the road
zzzdk.jpg

have you are having a nice weekend

'over n out!'

woodchuckcanuck

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
good looking dessert there wcc... and good to know u still got the skills...

as we age, such becomes more n more important! :rolleyes:

:givebeer:
This morning right after breakfast we made another batch, and sold a dozen to a friend. Then out for the day blocking and splitting 1-1/2 cord. Mowed the lawn. 13 yr old Sears Craftsman self propelled mower died (B&S motor). Put it to the road with a free sign and it was gone in 30 seconds. Just like the movie :) but no Angelina Jolie. :( Supper's done (homemade pizza) and now there's a blueberry pie in the oven.

Oldmaple

Oldmaple

Addicted to ArboristSite
Question. What's the low down on a mini skid steer for moving pallets of firewood and logs to the mill. I might have a buyer for pour CAT 257B2. I know a mini skid won't be able to replace what it does, but is there a good brand? Something that can maneuver a 1500lb (or heavier) log with a grapple would be a good start.
I like my Vermeer. They make ones now that have 2500lb or more tipping capacities. Should be able to find a used 800 or 925 that would probably meet your specs or the newer ctx 100 or 160 would be a beast. Lifting height might be an issue?