Good Morning check in

woodchuckcanuck

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
sticking my nose here, there... in this out building... that one... i soon realized i had my fair share of hornets nests! not one of which i appreciated or liked... other than an appreciation of - be careful! 7 or 8 nests. some of them. :surprised3: :omg: i had some Raid hornet spray and it was a real blessing. kick-a** stuff... and one by one, i relocated the nests and their residents. each time with a bit of trepidation! :cold: the first one is where i met my waterloo... as i was working on the old pump house to clean out, wash down, etc... and mod it up to be new smoke house... i had to take down this old water hose hanger. door had not been opened in several years. several larger older nests other side of upper roof joist. had done in the active nest, but from time to time scouts would return. one was on upper wall/corner... and as i hammered on the old nails to pull... moved wall... and down it flew and :surprised3: zapped me. :angry: LH, knuckle area. it was like an instant poker, small hot explosion of fire! :mad: no chit! and hurt right off, too. but work to do, so i trekked on. hour by hour, day by day it got swollen, bigger and worse. just like wcc's hand. by 4th day it was quite swollen. then slowly resceded... now back to normal. :) not a fun experience! ~ and that was only a single hit.
View attachment 921505View attachment 921506View attachment 921507
View attachment 921508
but if there is any humor in such discoveries... every year always have some nests to deal with... one hornets nest was attached to the head of a single nail. old rusty nail in an out building. nail out from the board, ceiling... and there it hung. with residents! ~
Sweet baby jezus, y'all have killer hornets down there.

woodchuckcanuck

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
always something. i like to mow my yard up there with my new Toro SR walk behind. gives beautiful cut and finish. well, imo. but it was a bit tall, so shredded first. then mowing ok. but... some grass got all twisted up and knotted. and i do mean knotted! mower stopped going fwd. cr*p! stuff like that always happens at wrong time! lol. so end of mowing for that day, was about Miller Time any hoo... nothing i tried could cut it out. and i had a pretty good cutter! next morning i worked on it, too! determined, i finally got it all out. it was like cutting a wad of locked up steel woo! i ended up raking the cut grasses and composting them. smooth sailing from then on... took close to an hour, both days... to get that grass knot out of underside. total PITA!~ :heart: this Toro model's tilt up design feature...
View attachment 921519View attachment 921520View attachment 921521

View attachment 921522View attachment 921523View attachment 921524
I probably would of put the blow torch to it and hoped for the best. :D

woodchuckcanuck

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, the Stihl FS250 trimmer we got been grumpy lately. Well, I found the cause. The choke button stem is split. So apparently I was trying to start a cold engine with the choke closed and upon finally getting it running, I would turn the choke knob closed when in fact it was wide open. That explains why it wouldn't stay running. Everything else was clean. Now need to track down parts.
20210801_145015.jpg20210801_145027.jpg

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, the Stihl FS250 trimmer we got been grumpy lately. Well, I found the cause. The choke button stem is split. So apparently I was trying to start a cold engine with the choke closed opening the chokeand upon finally getting it running, I would turn the choke knob close when in fact it was wide open. That explains why it wouldn't stay running. Everything else was clean. Now need to track down parts.
View attachment 921565View attachment 921566
good catch! as i say, it's always something... never fails! ;)

SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
:laugh: sticking my nose here, there... in this out building... that one... i soon realized i had my fair share of hornets nests! not one of which i appreciated or liked... other than an appreciation of - be careful! 7 or 8 nests. some of them. :surprised3: :omg: i had some Raid hornet spray and it was a real blessing. kick-a** stuff... and one by one, i relocated the nests and their residents. each time with a bit of trepidation! :cold: the first one is where i met my waterloo... as i was working on the old pump house to clean out, wash down, etc... and mod it up to be new smoke house... i had to take down this old water hose hanger. door had not been opened in several years. several larger older nests other side of upper roof joist. had done in the active nest, but from time to time scouts would return. one was on upper wall/corner... and as i hammered on the old nails to pull... moved wall... and down it flew and :surprised3: zapped me. :angry: LH, knuckle area. it was like an instant poker, small hot explosion of fire! :mad: no chit! and hurt right off, too. but work to do, so i trekked on. hour by hour, day by day it got swollen, bigger and worse. just like wcc's hand. by 4th day it was quite swollen. then slowly resceded... now back to normal. :) not a fun experience! ~ and that was only a single hit.
View attachment 921508
but if there is any humor in such discoveries... every year always have some nests to deal with... one hornets nest was attached to the head of a single nail. old rusty nail in an out building. nail out from the board, ceiling... and there it hung. with residents! ~
Last one that nailed me was as I left thru front door a couple years ago. They were setting up in top corner. Had some left over spray paint that dropped em like accurate anti aircraft fire or shooting skeet

Broken

Broken

The Great White North...Eh !
My Commercial & neighbours residential Toro both have manufacturer regulated Blade tip speeds. His residential is 19000 fpm . I bag & he mulchs primarily , that's why I bumped up the set operating rpm @ 3200 . BTS = Engine RPM. X Blade Length X 0.262 . 18444.8 fpm. gets him in the best range for mulching and still under the regulated limit . Actually with my commercial mower I can bump up the Engine RPM to 3600 from my normal 3100 set point since it is not governed by the same regulations lol . Go figure politicians :crazy2:

Broken

Broken

sticking my nose here, there... in this out building... that one... i soon realized i had my fair share of hornets nests! not one of which i appreciated or liked... other than an appreciation of - be careful! 7 or 8 nests. some of them. :surprised3: :omg: i had some Raid hornet spray and it was a real blessing. kick-a** stuff... and one by one, i relocated the nests and their residents. each time with a bit of trepidation! :cold: the first one is where i met my waterloo... as i was working on the old pump house to clean out, wash down, etc... and mod it up to be new smoke house... i had to take down this old water hose hanger. door had not been opened in several years. several larger older nests other side of upper roof joist. had done in the active nest, but from time to time scouts would return. one was on upper wall/corner... and as i hammered on the old nails to pull... moved wall... and down it flew and :surprised3: zapped me. :angry: LH, knuckle area. it was like an instant poker, small hot explosion of fire! :mad: no chit! and hurt right off, too. but work to do, so i trekked on. hour by hour, day by day it got swollen, bigger and worse. just like wcc's hand. by 4th day it was quite swollen. then slowly resceded... now back to normal. :) not a fun experience! ~ and that was only a single hit.
View attachment 921508
Those are nasty lookin lil buggers ! Should have hit them with napalm Tex ! :crazy2:

Broken

Broken

always something. i like to mow my yard up there with my new Toro SR walk behind. gives beautiful cut and finish. well, imo. but it was a bit tall, so shredded first. then mowing ok. but... some grass got all twisted up and knotted. and i do mean knotted! mower stopped going fwd. cr*p! stuff like that always happens at wrong time! lol. so end of mowing for that day, was about Miller Time any hoo... nothing i tried could cut it out. and i had a pretty good cutter! next morning i worked on it, too! determined, i finally got it all out. it was like cutting a wad of locked up steel woo! i ended up raking the cut grasses and composting them. smooth sailing from then on... took close to an hour, both days... to get that grass knot out of underside. total PITA!~ :heart: this Toro model's tilt up design feature...
View attachment 921519View attachment 921520View attachment 921521

View attachment 921522View attachment 921523View attachment 921524
Looks like a hair ball from the Abdominal Snowman up North here Tex ! :blob2:

woodchuckcanuck

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Mornin' folks. 15ºC and foggy. Holiday here today so a lot of places are closed. Not sure what's the agenda today, likely catch up on some paperwork, maybe saw some birch and maple logs for live edge. We made some deep fried lemon crunch cake donuts over the weekend. When I was making the batter I mistakenly added too much sugar so ended up making a triple batch. The hard part is having to eat them all. :)

20210801_181101-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg20210801_180951-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg20210801_162732-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg20210801_170345-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg

Latest posts