ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Good Morning check in

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Good morning. 62*/82*/clear. Happy Chocolate Chip Cookie day. Enjoying the last couple of days of cool temps as the guessers say a string of 90* plus for the next week. Bug and weed relocation today. Have a great day men. FS
imo, from the cold cookie dough to hot off the pan right out of the oven... few things can rival a fresh baked warm tasty chocolate chip cookie. homemade from scratch best! and for a pretty decent, can't just eat one... Keebler's chocolate chip cookies w/mnm's... has that after taste almost anyone :heart:s... making just one all but impossible to eat.
1628083946904.png

1628083714309.png

stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado

God of ArboristSite
Good morning. 62*/82*/clear. Happy Chocolate Chip Cookie day. Enjoying the last couple of days of cool temps as the guessers say a string of 90* plus for the next week. Bug and weed relocation today. Have a great day men. FS
Bought a yellow seedless watermelon at the farmer's market & it wasn't that good.
Are there any yellow watermellon varieties that rival the sweetness of their red counterparts?

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Bought a yellow seedless watermelon at the farmer's market & it wasn't that good.
Are there any yellow watermelon varieties that rival the sweetness of their red counterparts?
What type of yellow watermelon is the sweetest?

Sultan. Sultan is one of the sweetest varieties you'll find, this one measures 12.3 on the Brix scale. The fruits average 15 pounds and ripen within 95 days.

Why are yellow watermelons sweeter?

Image result for sweetest yellow watermelon

The flesh of watermelons turning yellow is a natural mutation. In fact, the originator of our commercial variety, which comes from Africa, is a yellow to white fleshed fruit. The fruit has a sweeter, honey-like flavor as compared to red fleshed melons, but many of the same nutritional benefits.

( hmm, i din't know that! )

stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado

God of ArboristSite
What type of yellow watermelon is the sweetest?

Sultan. Sultan is one of the sweetest varieties you'll find, this one measures 12.3 on the Brix scale. The fruits average 15 pounds and ripen within 95 days.

Why are yellow watermelons sweeter?

Image result for sweetest yellow watermelon

The flesh of watermelons turning yellow is a natural mutation. In fact, the originator of our commercial variety, which comes from Africa, is a yellow to white fleshed fruit. The fruit has a sweeter, honey-like flavor as compared to red fleshed melons, but many of the same nutritional benefits.

( hmm, i din't know that! )
Had to compost most of it as there was virtually zero "sweetness"
Maybe underripe?

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Good morning everyone :drinkingcoffee:.
Warming up here and quick! Started out at 59 and we are already at 71, heading to 82-84 depending on which guesser you look at.
Either way it's going to be a multiple shirt day :baba:. Been a few days since any rain and they aren't calling for any until friday.
Hope to get done the tree work I didn't do yesterday, at least I sold a trailer, trying to keep the number of trailers down below the number @cantoo has:laughing:.
Hope you all have a great day.

SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
View attachment 922151 said: I sneak in a little moose or caribou to the mix on occasion , to die for !

i am trying to sneak in some smoked beef ribs. it's all the rage down here of late. but a bit over the top pricey. one family stopped at a nearby local joint offering the savory delights... mom, dad and 2 kiddos... tab rang up for lunch... sitting down? $139.00! they cut out the beef ribs! lol.... you can be sure i am not paying no $140 for lunch... nope! $140 still buys a lot of diesel fuel!! but long lines there, an hr not uncommon. place just W of town... bbq wed-sun... they want $30 for each beef rib! i was ready to try that place out. but not for that. then we found a place offering same, closer in. $25/#!... that sounds like a bargain.... :nofunny: as i am sure the big beef rib bone is cooked to the point of melting in one's mouth... :rolleyes:

:laugh:

bbq is going up down here in Texas! can't find no double packs of ribs at 99-cents a pound... and $ a pound brisked it gone, too... might just have to buckle on down and go DIY on them beef ribs... place close by sells bbq cooking wood. has plenty of hickory. i would want the ribs low and slow over hickory...

melt-in-mouth rib bones optional :cool:
Good morning @ 73° guessers say peak 81 , methinks 85 more likely as yesterday.
BL if you like hickory flavor, using only hickory may overdo that. Dad always used briquettes and had shag bark from hickory that had soaked in water overnight or a bit longer that was put on the coals 12 - 2/3 thru the cooking time.
I enjoy seeing your growing processes, cooked up plates o grub n all, but my growing stuff is more random. 20210803_162223.jpg
When in Farmington it's a short jog to check at the yard waste dump. Lower right are where my potential seeds come from. Sacks that will be poured over compost hollow have the clippings,& one has a batch of donor tomatoes. The best fresh off the vine tomatoes have come from the back edge of that area. One year had pumpkin vines crawling all over. Trimmed back or dragged out of way. Had quite a several display pumpkin out front during the fall that year.. Didn't repeat..
And there are flowers that spread under ground that peeps tire of and dig up that end up out in MODOT's space out front
May have other squash since they got included earlier in the week.
G'day gents

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Are there any yellow watermellon varieties that rival the sweetness of their red counterparts?
The boys around here spray Epsom salt on their melons to raise the sugar content. Off the top of my head I can't think of any variety names in the yellow type. Look for a creamy yellow spot where the melon laid on the ground. Green or brown stem has no bearing on ripeness. Your cooler temps and wet weather will have a bearing on sweetness.

Broken

Broken

The Great White North...Eh !
View attachment 922151 said: I sneak in a little moose or caribou to the mix on occasion , to die for !

i am trying to sneak in some smoked beef ribs. it's all the rage down here of late. but a bit over the top pricey. one family stopped at a nearby local joint offering the savory delights... mom, dad and 2 kiddos... tab rang up for lunch... sitting down? $139.00! they cut out the beef ribs! lol.... you can be sure i am not paying no $140 for lunch... nope! $140 still buys a lot of diesel fuel!! but long lines there, an hr not uncommon. place just W of town... bbq wed-sun... they want $30 for each beef rib! i was ready to try that place out. but not for that. then we found a place offering same, closer in. $25/#!... that sounds like a bargain.... :nofunny: as i am sure the big beef rib bone is cooked to the point of melting in one's mouth... :rolleyes:

:laugh:

bbq is going up down here in Texas! can't find no double packs of ribs at 99-cents a pound... and $ a pound brisked it gone, too... might just have to buckle on down and go DIY on them beef ribs... place close by sells bbq cooking wood. has plenty of hickory. i would want the ribs low and slow over hickory...

melt-in-mouth rib bones optional :cool:
I love beef brisket done in Alder , also do a lot of pork butt in Apple , makes a seriously good pulled pork sandwich on a Kaiser . You may wish to experiment with Pecan when smoking your next rack of ribs Tex , awesome with Jack Daniels or Seagrams rub ! ;)

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Good evening guys.
Got most of the tree job done, few more branches over the house to remove, if the roof was less than a 12-12 pitch it would sure make my life easier.
Picked up a trailer frame I'm using to build a trailer tonight and it went quite well too. Tomorrow I plan on getting a few things cleaned up on that frame.
Hope you all had a great day.
Here's the trailer.
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 1.51.27 PM.png
Here's the flat bed I plan on putting on it, setting on a 20' trailer.
Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 12.20.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 12.20.32 PM.png

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Checked several of my seed catalogs and Buttercup seems to be the predominate yellow variety. The best red IMO is one called Revolution. More of an oblong melon.
1628156842354.png

Groundman One

Groundman One

Star Gazer
View attachment 921988

Yes, Good sportsmanship , especially since they were penciled in for another Gold ... Rapinoe however disrespecting the US flag & anthem,
She doesn't get my respect

Oh, & she wants a raise

Do you have to let her back in?

Just don't send her here, please.

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Good morning @ 73° guessers say peak 81 , methinks 85 more likely as yesterday.
BL if you like hickory flavor, using only hickory may overdo that. Dad always used briquettes and had shag bark from hickory that had soaked in water overnight or a bit longer that was put on the coals 12 - 2/3 thru the cooking time.
I enjoy seeing your growing processes, cooked up plates o grub n all, but my growing stuff is more random. View attachment 922168
When in Farmington it's a short jog to check at the yard waste dump. Lower right are where my potential seeds come from. Sacks that will be poured over compost hollow have the clippings,& one has a batch of donor tomatoes. The best fresh off the vine tomatoes have come from the back edge of that area. One year had pumpkin vines crawling all over. Trimmed back or dragged out of way. Had quite a several display pumpkin out front during the fall that year.. Didn't repeat..
And there are flowers that spread under ground that peeps tire of and dig up that end up out in MODOT's space out front
May have other squash since they got included earlier in the week.
G'day gents
Thanks SeMoT - i'd say you got a lot of tomato seed potential there... most look good enuff to eat, and the greens mite ripen up just fine. I still have a few containers (refer type) with ripe tomatoes in them. mite have to make some more homemade spaghetti sauce. well, as for the hickory... i would use with high expectations... as to flavor, etc. for many years one of my fav bbq joints not too far from me used only hickory for all they smoked. owner gave me a cook's tour one day i was there... it was a very popular place. large dining area. hand cut fries, too! old man who ran it for many years finally went to show some angels how to do bbq... and his family decided to sell the joint. new buyers ran it into the ground, the employees off... and raised prices. it was soon out of business! ~

and closed up shop.

appreciate the tip