ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc
Gold Clip Capital

Good Morning check in

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
The boys around here spray Epsom salt on their melons to raise the sugar content. Off the top of my head I can't think of any variety names in the yellow type. Look for a creamy yellow spot where the melon laid on the ground. Green or brown stem has no bearing on ripeness. Your cooler temps and wet weather will have a bearing on sweetness.
noted a hiway billboard yesterday on way back in... claims to be a Texas watermelon capitol... up on the billboard. they have all kinds, including yellow. one reviewer said 'good prices, too!'... but i saw sign on the corn on cob... 69-cents an ear... but, homegrown. guess u get what u pay for...

Watermelons!! - Review of Dilorio Farms, Hempstead, TX ...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowU...r515266080-Dilorio_Farms-Hempstead_Texas.html
https://pickyourown.org/WatermelonFestivals-Texas.php

1628161050474.png

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
good morning - no :drinkingcoffee:yet. just up. don't ask me why... worked hard enuff yesterday to warrant a few more hours shuteye! oh well. 77/88 1628161344785.png . chance of rains good they say. almost 50/50! mowDay was productive. got a hand me down sidewalk edger, elec, from SIL... no real use for it, despite trying. but, the scrounge in me would not let me toss it out, or sell it/give it away. have 2 old gasoline powered units, but never used them or tried. curb find. neat parts! :) then one day, up at ranch... it came to me. i had concrete square pads going up to house in front and back as walk ways. and the grasses, etc always overgrowing the edges. trimmer is ok, but not quite like an edger's look. it took to the task quite nicely. a definite ez yard improvement... :cool: "Welcome to the Tool Bin, Mr. Edger...."

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
I love beef brisket done in Alder , also do a lot of pork butt in Apple , makes a seriously good pulled pork sandwich on a Kaiser . You may wish to experiment with Pecan when smoking your next rack of ribs Tex , awesome with Jack Daniels or Seagrams rub ! ;)
hi B - pecan a bit light for brisket for me... i prefer it more for chicken and some fish... but the rub sounds ideal! lol ;)

1628177633917.png

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Good evening guys.
Got most of the tree job done, few more branches over the house to remove, if the roof was less than a 12-12 pitch it would sure make my life easier.
Picked up a trailer frame I'm using to build a trailer tonight and it went quite well too. Tomorrow I plan on getting a few things cleaned up on that frame.
Hope you all had a great day.
Here's the trailer.
View attachment 922281
Here's the flat bed I plan on putting on it, setting on a 20' trailer.
View attachment 922282
View attachment 922282
do you use a torch to cut your steel?

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Good morning. 60*/clear. Happy IPA day. :cheers: Picking corn shortly. Have a great day guys. FS.
View attachment 922329
maybe it's me, but had to look it up... :popcorn2:

First Thursday in August

National IPA Day on the first Thursday in August celebrates the beer known as India Pale Ale Beer. While the IPA is one of the most popular types of craft beers, it's also making a resurgence with local microbreweries.

1628163199195.png

woodchuckcanuck

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
I read that Alberta is getting rid of their virus restrictions, as the provincial government could not prove their case in a court of law.
Know anything about this?
They released restrictions about 2 weeks ago I think. Cases are rising, mostly those that did not receive any Covid flu shots. New Brunswick dropped all restrictions past Saturday. We'll see in 2 weeks how that pans out. For NB, +12yr old and older, +80% have one Covid flu shot, over +60% have two. They were trying to get the 2 shots up to 75% but looked at it all and said with the very low rates of infection, might as well open up and see what happens. I think 2 weeks from now NS will look at lifting all its restrictions, it really will depend on what happens in NB.

RAYINTOMBALL

RAYINTOMBALL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Howdy All. Was 69° this mornin heading to 90°. This will probably go down as the wettest and mildest Summer in many moons. Got my tractor stuck Saturday and my neighbor got his stuck Tuesday. That doesn't happen much around here in August. Hope all my friends here are doing well. All's well here in Streetman. Been really busy. I'm sure it's the same with you all too. Well take care my friends and stay safe and healthy. :givebeer:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
hi B - pecan a bit light for brisket for me... i prefer it more for chicken and some fish... but the rub sounds ideal! lol ;)
but then I am only thinking of Texas brisket....

what is best for Texas smoked brisket pecan or oak or hickory?

Oak
– Best Wood for Smoking Texas Brisket
The mild flavor and smoky aroma that you can achieve by smoking with oak go particularly well with tough cuts like the brisket. ... If you're trying to make a Texas style brisket, then oak is the only wood you want to work with.

1628176524428.png

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
mowDay was productive. got a hand me down sidewalk edger, elec, from SIL... no real use for it, despite trying. but, the scrounge in me would not let me toss it out, or sell it/give it away. <snip> then one day, up at ranch... it came to me. i had concrete square pads going up to house in front and back as walkways. and the grasses, etc always overgrowing the edges. trimmer is ok, but not quite like an edger's look. it took to the task quite nicely. a definite ez yard improvement... :cool: "Welcome to the Tool Bin, Mr. Edger...."
zzzznw.jpg
zzzogg.jpg zzzzeaw.jpg
$89 will get a new one over at the HD. i also gave the lil machine a good cleaning, too. couple mud dobbers had visited the rear wheels. water melted it. next up pull motor cover. #27 i think they are. prob some junk under the cover, too. unit has 2 modes, edge and trench... ez to use, too. i liked the price of mine.... and cleaner lines of the paths, too ~

final goal? well, you get the idea.... 1628177731856.png

:drinkingcoffee: cup, 2

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Mornin 55/80 and sunny
hi pf - sun trying to fight its way out here, i can see such, but alas... mostly a hazy overcast... but bright out. sunny enuff for shadows and windmill likes it, too.

just ck'd weather site. they revised their morning purr - dict - shon: 1628177817446.png