Good Morning check in

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
If you want to do any bore/plunge cuts you will have to remove the safety humps(the part next to the raker..
I fold the chains over tightly and then cut them off with a Dremel and a cutting disc or a 4" grinder w/a thin cutting blade.
This part.
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 9.32.52 PM.png

Also remove this from the gullet to make it flat from the front to the back, this is easy to do an a chain grinder or with a Dremel.
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 9.42.10 PM.png
Then you could add a little more hook to the side plate if needed, but I would start with those two things.
I have a 5 gallon bucket of Home Depot chains I use for flush cutting stumps that I do what I suggested, and I add a little hook, they self feed very well(for semi-chisel) and stay sharp a little better than full chisel(not bad for low quality chains that were free to me). That being said I have 20-30mins into each one to make it cut that way, so I'd rather buy a large lot of bars and chains(for a reasonable price) than spend a bunch of time I don't have on them. I have a pile of chains sitting on the bench, most times I just hand file them on the saw and never remove them, 3 or 4 nasty stumps can eat a large portion of a good quality chain.
You spent quality time with your daughter, you made the best use of your time (next to getting that barn built)
Yes sir.
Today I got the girts and the carriers on the lean to poles/walls :clap:. Tomorrow I won't get as much done here as I'm getting back on a tree job, but who knows, maybe I'll get an early start and have lots of time to get the girts and carriers laid out for the main building walls :).
Hope you had a productive day too.

Broken

Broken

The Great White North...Eh !
Thanks, there my favorite when it's chilly out, for cutting:rock:.

Glad he got a good one, shipping from here isn't cheap.
Hope all went well with the cutting.
Thanks Brett , yeah he is thrilled with it and my 7910 HD is safe and secure . He got to run it for a hr yesterday .

Broken

Broken

If you want to do any bore/plunge cuts you will have to remove the safety humps(the part next to the raker..
I fold the chains over tightly and then cut them off with a Dremel and a cutting disc or a 4" grinder w/a thin cutting blade.
This part.
View attachment 935882

Also remove this from the gullet to make it flat from the front to the back, this is easy to do an a chain grinder or with a Dremel.
View attachment 935883
Then you could add a little more hook to the side plate if needed, but I would start with those two things.
I have a 5 gallon bucket of Home Depot chains I use for flush cutting stumps that I do what I suggested, and I add a little hook, they self feed very well(for semi-chisel) and stay sharp a little better than full chisel(not bad for low quality chains that were free to me). That being said I have 20-30mins into each one to make it cut that way, so I'd rather buy a large lot of bars and chains(for a reasonable price) than spend a bunch of time I don't have on them. I have a pile of chains sitting on the bench, most times I just hand file them on the saw and never remove them, 3 or 4 nasty stumps can eat a large portion of a good quality chain.

Yes sir.
Today I got the girts and the carriers on the lean to poles/walls :clap:. Tomorrow I won't get as much done here as I'm getting back on a tree job, but who knows, maybe I'll get an early start and have lots of time to get the girts and carriers laid out for the main building walls :).
Hope you had a productive day too.
Good points offered by Brett my chain sharpening policy is the same , I square cut a lot of my full house chain for quality hardwood cutting , however for dirty blowdowns , I find round filed semi chisel with a good hook does a good job . As Buckin wood say "yeah got to get the gullet !" lol.

Broken

Broken

Good morning folks ! 35 f with another frost , heading to a warm 73 f with sun this afternoon apparently . 2nd hazelnut & Joe . I have some Black Ash in the garage woodstove mixed with Ironwood . Today is the swimming pool winterization day . I have a quick vacuuming then draining to below the inlet / outlet piping . Remove the hoses and filter & pump. Give it a touch of chlorine and fit the cover till 1st snow to reduce the leaf issues which are just beginning to fall here . I think some Smoked Walleye in Cherry is on agenda for supper tonite . Have a productive day !

kenmbz

kenmbz

ArboristSite Operative
Morning all, too windy to get near the trees today for felling or splitting.
A few branches came down yesterday too, to add to the mess I need to cleanup, probably today.
Looks like UPS found my bull rope package and it will be here today, after their sortation problems last weekend.

Have a fun filled day, sun is almost to tree tops now.

Oh, 2 days ago when sanding down a round cut table I am making, a large hornet decided I was in it's way and chased me into, and through the garage!
Talk about aggressive. Didn't get me though, guess I was fast enough ...

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Morning shakers and movers :drinkingcoffee:.
Off to the lakeshore today for a little cutting/hauling session where I'm the cutter/hauler/loader/and driver. Basically I have no-one to blame but myself if it doesn't go well :laugh:.
44 heading to 69 here with blue skies. 47 heading to 65 at the lakeshore with a cool 10mph breeze of the big lake, should be great working weather.
Tomorrow afternoon they are saying some storms will roll into the area.
Have a great day guys.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Morning all, too windy to get near the trees today for felling or splitting.
A few branches came down yesterday too, to add to the mess I need to cleanup, probably today.
Looks like UPS found my bull rope package and it will be here today, after their sortation problems last weekend.

Have a fun filled day, sun is almost to tree tops now.

Oh, 2 days ago when sanding down a round cut table I am making, a large hornet decided I was in it's way and chased me into, and through the garage!
Talk about aggressive. Didn't get me though, guess I was fast enough ...
Good morning Ken.
Glad they got the problem all sortated out lol.
What bull rope did you get. Do you have a throw line kit to get it into the tree.
The bees are getting real aggressive here too. I wear orange a lot of the time so they really like me:crazy2:.
Have a great day.

kenmbz

kenmbz

ArboristSite Operative
Good morning Ken.
Glad they got the problem all sortated out lol.
What bull rope did you get. Do you have a throw line kit to get it into the tree.
The bees are getting real aggressive here too. I wear orange a lot of the time so they really like me:crazy2:.
Have a great day.
Arborplex 5/8, throw line with two weights 12/14oz
Was wearing blue in a dim garage-hornet came right in and chased me, was easily 10 feet outside garage when it started to dive in for me.
I only wear bright colors when I absolutely need to in summer, we had a lot of bald faced hornets this year. Got 4 nests taken out, unusually large number.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Thanks Brett , yeah he is thrilled with it and my 7910 HD is safe and secure . He got to run it for a hr yesterday .
For sure.
They are great saws, I like mine. Even though I'm selling a bunch of them, I still plan on keeping my ported 7900 around.
Square ground when done right is very smooth, one of my favorite qualities of it, as it's much safer and I can get much closer to the ground without the worry of it doing something unpredictable.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Arborplex 5/8, throw line with two weights 12/14oz
Was wearing blue in a dim garage-hornet came right in and chased me, was easily 10 feet outside garage when it started to dive in for me.
I only wear bright colors when I absolutely need to in summer, we had a lot of bald faced hornets this year. Got 4 nests taken out, unusually large number.
I have some of that here in 1/2". Sounds like you're all set.
I can see two bald faced hornet nest here, both within 75' of my wood processing area, I had no idea they were even there until the leaves started falling.
Them things can be nasty.