Got a Free Red Max G3800AVS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannon51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
One of my neighbors was cleaning out an out building and ask me if I wanted a chainsaw, I said yes. He brought me a Red Max G3800AVS. He said his dad stopped using it a few years ago because the oiler quit working. I got it to run a few seconds off a little gas put in the carb intake but it would never pick any up put of the tank. So far it looks like it needs a carb kit, air filter and the oiler fixed. I looked on line for parts but didn't find a lot, apparently the saw has been out of production for a few years. I'll get a picture up tomorrow.
Cannon

I had a new oem back when they were still being sold. Now days lot of them are aftermarket made and look at that for parts. They are made by Zenoah Japan.

You can buy aftermarket whole saws for cost of parts. Like 100 for saw. Then endless parts source.

jc3800xx.jpg

I tried to get it running again this morning and failed. I got the carb off and I think it's a Walbro WT591A. I have a hard time reading those numbers even with my glasses. I'll get a gasket and diaphragm kit and see what happens. I'll worry about the oiler if I get it running.
Cannon

Attachments

• IMG_20210907_072917129.jpg
    IMG_20210907_072917129.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210907_073331075.jpg
    IMG_20210907_073331075.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Carb kit arrived yesterday so this morning I installed new gaskets, diaphragm, screen and needle in it. There was a little dirt in the old screen but mostly the carb was clean. The Diaphragm made noise when I moved it back and forth so I think that was the problem. I got it together and it cranked right up but would not rev up. I took it back off and made some modifications so I could adjust the jets. I got together again and with a little fiddling it runs pretty good.
The oiler. I removed everything to get down to it and it looks like one of the plastic threads on the worm gear is rolled over. Should I get a new worn gear and try it or go ahead and get the pump too?
CannonIMG_20210909_113517084.jpg

Yes or
The oiler. I removed everything to get down to it and it looks like one of the plastic threads on the worm gear is rolled over. Should I get a new worn gear and try it or go ahead and get the pump too?
Cannon
Yes..or no :) The worm gear is the sacrificial part and probably the pump is ok but as you don't know the history it might be worth trying a $5 (including postage) gear & pump off ebay.

The pump and gear came in today. Their a little different than what I had, guess I should have paid more attention when I ordered them. the old gear has a wider rim and the pump has a adjustment that the old one didn't have. I tried the gear first, turned the sprocket by hand for a while but no oil came out. I put the new pump on and found that the saw has a place for it to be adjusted from the bottom of the saw. I had to run the saw for a minute for oil to start coming out, the old pump might have worked if I had actually ran the saw with it and the new gear. I adjusted the oiler wide open but still there's not as much oil as I expected. I've always check them by running the saw with the tip over a stump and expected it to show a line of oil after revving it up a few times, this one takes a little longer. I'm going to try it like it is and see what happens. Thanks
Cannon
IMG_20210911_143241576.jpgIMG_20210911_144242389.jpg

I took the chain to the hardware be sharpened last week, they didn't cut it back far enough to be sharp but did Blue the teeth. $8 wasted. I went to Tractor Supply this morning and got a 56 link chain. It had a 57 ( TS didn't have one) on it but the manual says 56. The 56 went on a little tight but would not go forward enough for the adjuster to hit the hole in the bar. It has an aftermarket bar on it so maybe that's the difference. I took a round file and elongated the hole enough to get it working. I cut a slice of an 8 inch stump, it cut ok but didn't seem to have a lot of power. The chain I bought was a Country Line full chisel, 50 gauge , 56 link.

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_101708590.jpg
    IMG_20211002_101708590.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211002_102408210.jpg
    IMG_20211002_102408210.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Well that didn't work. I was cutting some limbs with it and discovered that it wasn't oiling. The slot in the adjuster let the bar go back to far to line up with the oil hole.
Cannon

I put a drop or two of oil in the oiler inlet then turn it by finger back and forth to fill it and make sure it moves oil well. I leaned to do this after getting more than one filled with trash inside that required disassembly then cleaning and a few new ones that refused to pump.

Well that didn't work. I was cutting some limbs with it and discovered that it wasn't oiling. The slot in the adjuster let the bar go back to far to line up with the oil hole.
Cannon
I did worry about that myself when I saw the photo. Sorry I can't help you with the correct drive link count. I run .325 chain and modified Husqvarna bars on my G3800 copies - only because I have a 154SE and still have bars and chains for that lying around.

Just to get this thing sorted out I ordered a 57 link " PANZHENG Chainsaw Chain" off Amazon for $7. It arrived yesterday and after putting it on everything seems to be working. I ordered a better chain from Baileys along with some other stuff but part of it is backordered. It won't be here until later this month, If the USPS is still working then.
Cannon

Back