Got a Safebloc en route, hoping for advice on making its sling!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye.heart.trees

arborjunky
Reaction score
I'm getting 2 canopy-anchors for heavy-duty rigging, one's the X Rings 3-ringed (2 large, 1 XL rings), 5', 3/4" sling, but that's crotches-only (unless I use a prusik or two to choke it, still waiting to find if that's OK to do!), but want to make something out of the Safebloc, the way I see it there's 2 approaches so am hoping for advice on which of the two to go with, and how to execute it!

#1 - setup in a way where the only termination on that rope is the Safebloc, just splice it to the end of a 10' line and cow-hitch it into place. This is very limiting, it's not good for the bull-line to have only 1 ring on its canopy-anchor, and the tenex sling is only getting half the strength it could get (ie using 1 tail/leg of it, instead of basket-hitching by using both ends, gives you just 1/2 the strength you could've had) If I go this route I would never be able to approach the true WLL of that Safebloc(unless my bull line were Amsteel Blue I guess!) so I'd probably just use 5/8" rope as my anchor in this scenario, a generic 5/8" thick / ~10' long piece of line probably my bull-line just cut and used that way.....OR, the way I'm thinking/hoping is going to be tops for rigging:

#2 - Setup in a way where one end of the sling is the Safebloc, and the other end is a Rigging Ring, letting you now use both legs of the sling as well as providing you with (2) points of contact for the bull-line, this would let you go real heavy AND utilize the Safebloc (a combo that none of these X slings have by themselves/off-thes-shelf)

Thanks a ton, I figure if I go route #1 and the Safebloc's the only termination on the sling then it'll just be my medium-duty anchor, but if I go route #2 I'd be using it for the heaviest blocking-down that my bull-line is capable of handling!!

Well, FWIW, I've come to some realizations here:

- loopies(yippies) are stronger than whoopies so should be the configuration of choice where possible, though for a fixed-ring / fixed-Bloc a whoopie is necessary

- the desire to use an extra ring alongside the Bloc on the sling, or to utilize both legs of the sling to support the Bloc, is basically unnecessary because 3/4" bull line would be 'a bit too-much' for that tight a friction-setup, and if using 5/8" then single-leg, 3/4" yalex/tenex is just fine for supporting the loads that could be done here!

- the ease of simply using a Safebloc sling *in conjunction with* other ringed-slings is so easy that doubling-up isn't necessary up top (though, for ground-anchorage, I can still see a good solo-rigging benefit to using a doubled-Bloc sling at the base, with a single Bloc sling up top, it'd allow seriously large loads to be controlled in-canopy without excessive stresses on the TIP!

Will post pics after I've made it though getting the feeling this isn't that heavily trafficked!!

3/4 deadeye is what mine (triple thimble, the triangular one) is on. I dont much care for whoopies and loopies and whatnot. ultra slings and deadeyes for me.
Just can't beat the versatility of a deadeye!!!! What do you think of the triple-thimble? Have you also used a Safebloc?(am in-love w/ my Safebloc, I took it from 3/4" polydyne 20' deadeye to a 3/4 TEC whoopie because that large-cordage-length made it so I never defaulted to it :/ )

Ultraslings seem awesome and are likely what I'm making for my next & final "log slings" (for knotless rigging, whole setup is based around being able to use my 5/8 polydyne bullrope with splice to its max and know that that, at 19k lbs, is for-sure my system's weak-point!!)

Latest posts

Back