Got an 056 AV Super for...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I wanted to share a new saw I got from the stihl shop.

Back story:

A chap took his 056 super into the shop because it wouldn’t start. They found the negative wire from the ignition module was stripped bare with no insulation so it was grounding out.

They brought a new module but it wouldn’t work with the current flywheel. They couldn’t get the necessary flywheel here in OZ.

Guys bill was adding up and he said stop as it’s going to cost more than it’s worth.

Stihl told him that if he wants some money for it to contact me as I rebuild them (my local shop is awesome).

The guy called saying do I want it and that he’d like to get $70 USD to basically pay off the bill the saw has already cost him. Initally I was reluctant as I wasn’t too interested in it (I thought it was more similar to the 076 then it actually is and the 076’s are a pain to work on).

Long and short I offered him $35 USD to which he accepted.

Got it home, cleaned the negative wire of the corrosion (?) (does copper corrode or is it something else?) and twisted the stranded wire together, put some heat shrink tubing on and connected it to the new kill wire they had installed. I put more heat shrink over the soldered join, put it all back together and it runs great.

I’m considering actually surprising the original owner and turning up at his door with it and gifting it to him, but I do want to put a few tanks through it before, just to make sure it’s all good.

I may or may not, it depends how much I like it I suppose, but it would be a nice gesture and the stihl shop said they’d throw a new bar and chain on it for free for him if I decided to return it to the original owner, which was really nice of them. Watch this space.

67CB4F7B-ED0E-4A16-A189-2ACC1CE21E15.jpegFE80E601-838E-4343-BAEF-D6C9F3D78BCC.jpegA9A22A35-A496-407B-816C-44A8442D8813.jpeg

T
Do to the fact those have a reputation for ignition failure, I for one would run it extensively before doing anything with it.

I have a carcass here now that will run five to ten minutes and then shut down until the next day or week. [emoji21]
There is an easy fix for them, pm me and I’ll send you the link.

Those 1115 saws are my favorite Stihl series. A neighbor ran two of them as his main falling duo and was the one who got me hooked on them. Both me and him run 36 inch bars on them, but he'd put 25's on them for most of the work which is what size I'd recommend for your Aussie hardwoods. They've got tons of power and tons of torque to boot.
IMG_3673.jpegIMG_3674.jpeg

Those 1115 saws are my favorite Stihl series. A neighbor ran two of them as his main falling duo and was the one who got me hooked on them. Both me and him run 36 inch bars on them, but he'd put 25's on them for most of the work which is what size I'd recommend for your Aussie hardwoods. They've got tons of power and tons of torque to boot.
View attachment 854334View attachment 854335
Oooo, you have the magnum! Jealous :)

Do to the fact those have a reputation for ignition failure, I for one would run it extensively before doing anything with it.

I have a carcass here now that will run five to ten minutes and then shut down until the next day or week. [emoji21]
I’m going to run it for a little while today and see if when it’s hot it dies and then report back here. I’ll bring along an in-line spark tester.

I’m going to run it for a little while today and see if when it’s hot it dies and then report back here.

I think you'll find the 056 is quite a different saw to the 076.
If it needs the 'foggy fix' I have some spare Philips MKP 378 Capacitors.

I’m considering actually surprising the original owner and turning up at his door with it and gifting it to him, but I do want to put a few tanks through it before, just to make sure it’s all good.

I may or may not, it depends how much I like it I suppose, but it would be a nice gesture and the stihl shop said they’d throw a new bar and chain on it for free for him if I decided to return it to the original owner, which was really nice of them.

Do that & good on you!

I did the same thing for an older Super 045 that had a fried top end, except I sold it back to him for his original selling price & the cost of the new OEM 54mm top end parts. Over $200 USD, not just $35, but he was a happy camper!

Of course the Stihl dealers won’t fix old saws if they can’t get the new OEM parts.

Ok guys, it ran for 5 mins and then died, wouldn’t restart for 5-6 pulls, then it would restart, run then die. It does need the capacitor fix. I’ll see if my local shop has one and if not I’d be very appreciative of anyone who will sell me one!

I think you'll find the 056 is quite a different saw to the 076.
If it needs the 'foggy fix' I have some spare Philips MKP 378 Capacitors.
Oh you’re in Aussi! That would be really helpful, I was going to check Jaycar, as far as I know I need to ask for...

“1uf 400v radial polypropylene MKP 378 AC & Pulse Capicitor”

What a bloody mouthful!

Latest posts

Back