Got me a new project!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2000 Silverado 2500 4x4
Been looking for one of these for a while that didn't cost me an arm and a leg, but wasn't either a rust buckets, had no transmission, or had a blown engine.
This one is solid, just needs a bunch of mostly cosmetic repairs and maintenance items.
Started with replacing the suspension all around and added a new set of tires.
IMG_20230316_190336671.jpg
IMG_20230316_190322024.jpg

You wouldn't believe how hard it was to find the right center caps. View attachment 1080318
Nice rims, they look a lot different than what most aftermarket rims people put on. What are your plans for truck paint/repairs/upgrades etc.?
I've got a used 2004 Tahoe that has the GM peeling paint feature. Rocker is showing rust.

Had it 6 years with just minor issues here and there, blend door for the interior ductwork, brake calipers in rear, cats, also repaired a broken wire for the trailer haul button on the column shift. The 5.3 motor auto trans has been flawless but needs the IM gasket replaced.
Good luck on your project.

Took it for a spin with it's first heavy load, a 14 foot trailer with 5 foot sides loaded to the gills with a storage unit's contents. Pulled it like a champ, not that I had doubts. Just a huge difference between it and the 4.3 V6 I have been using.

Going with black when I paint it.
Put new 3 inch suspension all around to replace the worn off parts. New tires, new radio and speakers. Mechanically it is pretty solid so far. Pulling to the right a bit so have a worn bearing or ball joint

If it's pulling "to the right", that would be tRUMP'S fault. :popcorn2:

Going with black when I paint it.
idk if ya have experience with paint, but i suggest checking out southern polyurethanes for painting supplies. great products at dam good prices.
and if ya need assistance, their forum is full of experience or just call. youll talk to the people that make the product and use it,too.
https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Here's the latest. 1990 Dakota. 3.9L 5 speed. Perfect 1st vehicle for my son....none of his friends knows how to drive a standard 😂
Drove down to Tennessee for it. Had been sitting in a barn for 11 years and needed all the usual bits. Brakes, suspension, couple of steering parts.
4 wheel drive vacuum actuator was froze up - discontinued. A friend found a used one in California and mailed it to me. New radiator. Paint was faded so bad the horizontal panels were almost white so we gave it a garage mahal special. Got a deal on a barely used set of tires and wheels.
New LED headlights. Replaced the drier and updated fittings, pulled a vacuum and charged with r134. Blows blows cold enough for a teenager, Lol.
20220813_161400.jpg
20221016_171142.jpg
20220806_180248.jpg
It's been a good experience for my son, he has been there every step, and enjoyed most of it.

install the backup camera.

What are you planning on using?

I have always wanted to install the optional chsml camera to make snagging my trailers easier. Not a difficult upgrade but a fairly costly one. My truck is nearly 10 years old now, I should start hitting the junk yards maybe find a wrecked truck.

Did you look into the A/C?

What are you planning on using?

I have always wanted to install the optional chsml camera to make snagging my trailers easier. Not a difficult upgrade but a fairly costly one. My truck is nearly 10 years old now, I should start hitting the junk yards maybe find a wrecked truck.

Did you look into the A/C?
Installed a Boss head unit, it came with a backup camera. Same one in my Malibu.
Not sure on the AC, just gonna replace everything.

Forgot mother's day was that weekend and our anniversary was the next weekend, so all I did was install the speakers in the passenger door and get the rest of the suspension checked out.
Everything was a-ok except the torsion bar was tighter on the driver's side which might be causing my right hand drift.
Will try to adjust that this weekend.

Not sure if y'all have heard of NovSight LED bulbs, but dang are they bright. I put a set in the truck and a set in my Malibu. It is like daylight in front of my car now and you can see twice as far.
Highly impressed.

Back