Gotta be a better way...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAWoodsman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Morning Gents,

Im curious what you guys wear for leg protection during the summer? Im not a big guy (140lb, 5'7") and im in good shape. So im the guy thats running up and down felled trees limbing and bucking, etc. When the temps get up (70+) im sweating my lower half off with my chaps on. To the point where when i take them off, my pant legs are soaked and the chaps themselves are damp. Not wearing them really isnt an option.

Is there a light weight "safety" pants or other option out there that breathe well?

I generally no longer wear chaps and for the exact reasons the OP described. I really like the snap-in chap design, but the jeans Madsens sells are cheap/thin/weak and with only having three snaps, not four, the chaps move and fall out on their own.

I already sweat fully through my clothes when it gets warm and often while burning in the rainy season. The chaps just make it that much worse. It's bad when not only can you wring out your work clothes but also get a few drips from the chaps. And this is all the while.one of my other coworkers is wearing one to two long sleeve sweaters!

I much prefer chainsaw pants to chaps. I have a pair that are very ventilated in the back. Enough that the cooling from he back offsets the insulation in the front. I still sweat, but I’m rarely soaked through to my underwear.

I wear chaps while I am cutting, then take them off. They are cooler than bite suit pants, and I don't run while wearing them.
opt-rs10-kimono-lite-pic2-p__13593.1596733760.jpg

Morning Gents,

Im curious what you guys wear for leg protection during the summer? Im not a big guy (140lb, 5'7") and im in good shape. So im the guy thats running up and down felled trees limbing and bucking, etc. When the temps get up (70+) im sweating my lower half off with my chaps on. To the point where when i take them off, my pant legs are soaked and the chaps themselves are damp. Not wearing them really isnt an option.

Is there a light weight "safety" pants or other option out there that breathe well?
Your 1st paragraph is self-serving. Who cares. Do forest fireman have this issue? Thats where you need to go. Than theres eBay, or safety chaps 101. No disrespect to little guys was intended in this response Professional loggers use Baileys catalogs for tp. Gotta be one in the lunch trailer?

You could buy direct from Clogger NZ... Keep an eye on their website, they have promotions every now & then.
Edit: their free shipping covers orders over $100 to US so you'd get em for under US$280 delivered

Back