Granberg vs Northern Tool price differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerLee

Reaction score
I am looking at getting Granberg EZ Rails and a File n Joint File guide and Northern Tool has them both for significantly cheaper than the Granberg website. What gives?
The Granberg stuff on the Northern Tool website looks identical to that on the Granberg website.

Thanks!

I could not find one on the N tool site..but for the most part they are all from China and I dont think one is really much better than another. The degree scales are usually off, the bolts will strip out the threads if you apply too much force....They are just what they imply ..a guide... gets you in the ball park . If your new to sharpening , cut some blocks on a chop saw and clamp them to your bar to hand sharpen, it will take awhile to know the angles but worth it in the long run.

I also noticed this, OP.

I've left two phone messages at Granberg and no reply.

Northern Tool does carry Granberg stuff. Not made in China labeled as Granberg.

Th price differences are indeed mind boggling. I'm looking at a $70-80 difference on a 10' rail set. Probably placing my order this morning with Northern. Sucks but oh well.

A lot of companies that will sell directly, set their prices at MSRP, so as to not compete with their retail dealers, set your prices below what the retail dealers can sell it for, and you won’t have retail dealers for long, and ALL of your sales will be direct, which usually ends up with lower sales volumes

A high volume dealer like Northern Tools, often get lower wholesale prices, which means that they can sell at a lower price, and still make an acceptable profit, and usually increase sales numbers

Very common among many types of businesses, not unique to Granberg

Doug

Yes, I understand all that.

These are markdowns of 33-40% on the rails, which is quite significant.
Are they the 9’ rail sets?

It has been awhile, but Granberg has lengthened the long rails from 9’ to 10’, so if it is the 9’ rails, it is possible that they are trying to move old stock, as most would likely prefer the 10’ rails, if the price was similar

I haven’t been in any corner office meetings at Granberg or Northern Tools, but that seems the likely scenario to me

Doug

10' and 5'.

Almost went with two 10s but realized I won't be able to deal with much longer than 13'+/- in the near future.

Nor were the right used ladders making themselves known less than a 3-4 hour drive away!

Latest posts

Back