Granfors Bruks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Bruce

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a question, Do you guys recommend getting a nice axe like a Granfors Bruks, Or should I just buy something like a coldsteel or a collins? Is it worth it and if so, what is the best general purpose GFB(Granfors Bruks) axe? Would it be the small forest axe?

You will love the quality, possibly to the point of getting a cheaper 'beater' axe to take the heavy wear and tear.

I wanted a mid-size maul and got a good deal on the GB Small Splitting Maul, second from the left in the group photo attached.

PXL_20210418_152906221.jpgPXL_20210418_153254972.jpg

i have a older wetterlings, i believe it is a hunters or wildlife hatchet. i would buy a gransfor brux small forest in a heart beat, if i could afford to do so. put some grip tape on the lower handle and go. they sharpen up easilly and hold a edge. i think the lower lobes on the head , help keep the handle tight and protec it. i spike logs with mine like a hookeroon , to keep from bending over. it taps my plastic wedges. you want something with a large knob on the but. so you dont slip.
canadian outdoor equiptment has had the best prices recently

I have few Gransfors Axes and this little hatchet gets used the most for just day to day use. I do plan to add a nice Gransfors forest Axe at some point this winter prior to starting back my habitat projects on my farm.

Good luck and I do feel they are worth the price.

IMG_6891.jpeg

I own a Gransfors maul and the quality is excellent but they are very pricey. You may want to look at the Hultafors Agdor line. Also made in Sweden and great quality for less than half the price. Also Council tool make great axes for a great price as well. You won't feel gulity using a lower priced axe the way you are supposed to as you will with a Gransfors and I doubt it will really work any better

I may be too new here to post this type of comment. But worth it is a very relative term.

I just went through an axe buying phase.

https://www.helkonorthamerica.com/store/c4/Classic.html
I bought the forester for my son and the expedition for myself.

i also bought a smaller husqvarna axe (traditional) limbing axe.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/axes/traditional-multi-purpose-axe/
The two German axes are beautiful and my son loves his. It cuts very well and is a thing of beauty. He uses it (forester) and it allows me to spend time with him, so worth it. The expedition is just too big to be practical

The husqvarna axe by far sees the most use as it is smaller and lighter and allows me to limb very easily.

So the forester was worth it, the expedition was not and the husky was.

I may be too new here to post this type of comment. But worth it is a very relative term.

I just went through an axe buying phase.

https://www.helkonorthamerica.com/store/c4/Classic.html
I bought the forester for my son and the expedition for myself.

i also bought a smaller husqvarna axe (traditional) limbing axe.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/axes/traditional-multi-purpose-axe/
The two German axes are beautiful and my son loves his. It cuts very well and is a thing of beauty. He uses it (forester) and it allows me to spend time with him, so worth it. The expedition is just too big to be practical

The husqvarna axe by far sees the most use as it is smaller and lighter and allows me to limb very easily.

So the forester was worth it, the expedition was not and the husky was.
Being in the outdoors beats everything.....but when done with your kids takes it to another level

So it sounds like you guys recommend buying one, are there any deals this time of year and are there any stores i can buy it in store at? thanks for the advice!

I have a question, Do you guys recommend getting a nice axe like a Granfors Bruks, Or should I just buy something like a coldsteel or a collins? Is it worth it and if so, what is the best general purpose GFB(Granfors Bruks) axe? Would it be the small forest axe?
IMHO, Council Tool utility line axes are the best value. Forged AISI 1060 American steel with computer controlled heat treatment hung on grade A tight straight grained hickory. All materials sourced and made in the U.S. for a median price. It's it. Most useful are my 4lb GSA 36" and 2.25 Boy's Axe 28". Best bangs.

I've got one of their splitting axes - top quality to be sure. I agree with the sentiment of tending to grab other axes for the dirty work though...caught myself doing this more than once.
But for my intended use of actual splitting it's a great tool and is my go to.
I was looking on Forrestry Suppliers website a month or so ago and many of their models were out of stock with no ETA. Sadly this has become the new norm.

I've got one of their splitting axes - top quality to be sure. I agree with the sentiment of tending to grab other axes for the dirty work though...caught myself doing this more than once.
But for my intended use of actual splitting it's a great tool and is my go to.
I was looking on Forrestry Suppliers website a month or so ago and many of their models were out of stock with no ETA. Sadly this has become the new norm.
What I like about the 4lb GSA 36" is the profile and higher centerline. Rooster's design is identical to their full size Velvicut Felling Axe, which I have along with the Velvicut Boy's Axe. I considered Gransfors and Hultafors, but after buying a Hults Bruk I wasn't impressed in use. Swedish C50 steel is exactly what we call AISI 1050 mounted on a club. They make hickory hafts way to thick and wide. I sold it to a Swedish axe fanboy that loves it. I'm convinced that both are priced twice what they're worth. Council Tools are for working hard with.

Well thank you. I was in sales and management for about seven years some 40+ years ago. I still look to quality and value. IMHO there's nothing special or of superior anything of Swedish or German axes. The best is produced by Council Tool and that's my experience. What is experienced is all that's known. So, what do you know?

There's nothing wrong with your opinion at all, which you already made clear once before. They could be the best axes in the whole wide world but Repeating the same line in back to back posts makes it appear like either you've got a vested interest in them or are in the same boat as the "fanyboy" you mock.

There's nothing wrong with your opinion at all, which you already made clear once before. They could be the best axes in the whole wide world but Repeating the same line in back to back posts makes it appear like either you've got a vested interest in them or are in the same boat as the "fanyboy" you mock.
Whoa there. Far be it from me to tell someone else that they can't spend too much money on anything. It's that I'm value orientated spending my meager money, so efficiency and durability are my first considerations, then cost, voila!

I own a couple of GFB axes and, while nice, they are WAY overpriced. My dealer told me people actually collect them and has customers that wait for new axes to come in. I need an axe to use, not put on display. I use a Stihl axe myself. It is a good axe and If it gets lost or borrowed it isn’t major financial hit.

I own a couple of GFB axes and, while nice, they are WAY overpriced. My dealer told me people actually collect them and has customers that wait for new axes to come in. I need an axe to use, not put on display. I use a Stihl axe myself. It is a good axe and If it gets lost or borrowed it isn’t major financial hit.
I 👂 ya.

Purchase the best quality you can and never look back, it's better to buy once and cry once.
FWIW Husqvarna has some Swedish made axes that are really nice, not quite Granfors-Bruks nice, but still nice.

Latest posts

Back