Granfors Bruks

Jeff Bruce

Jeff Bruce

ArboristSite Lurker
I have a question, Do you guys recommend getting a nice axe like a Granfors Bruks, Or should I just buy something like a coldsteel or a collins? Is it worth it and if so, what is the best general purpose GFB(Granfors Bruks) axe? Would it be the small forest axe?

bootboy

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Get the Scandinavian forest axe. This is a great axe. 25” handle. 2.5 lbs. excellent general purpose axe.

I also have the American felling axe, but it’s to big for anything but full swings when chopping or pounding wedges.

SimonHS

SimonHS

Amateur Chainsaw Fixer and Wood Scrounger
You will love the quality, possibly to the point of getting a cheaper 'beater' axe to take the heavy wear and tear.

I wanted a mid-size maul and got a good deal on the GB Small Splitting Maul, second from the left in the group photo attached.

PXL_20210418_152906221.jpgPXL_20210418_153254972.jpg

sand sock

sand sock

ArboristSite Member
i have a older wetterlings, i believe it is a hunters or wildlife hatchet. i would buy a gransfor brux small forest in a heart beat, if i could afford to do so. put some grip tape on the lower handle and go. they sharpen up easilly and hold a edge. i think the lower lobes on the head , help keep the handle tight and protec it. i spike logs with mine like a hookeroon , to keep from bending over. it taps my plastic wedges. you want something with a large knob on the but. so you dont slip.
canadian outdoor equiptment has had the best prices recently

tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

I have few Gransfors Axes and this little hatchet gets used the most for just day to day use. I do plan to add a nice Gransfors forest Axe at some point this winter prior to starting back my habitat projects on my farm.

Good luck and I do feel they are worth the price.

IMG_6891.jpeg