Granfors Bruks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purchase the best quality you can and never look back, it's better to buy once and cry once.
FWIW Husqvarna has some Swedish made axes that are really nice, not quite Granfors-Bruks nice, but still nice.
I won’t disagree with that except axes do disappear in the woods, especially when working with other sawyers. I have a Husky axe, a Fiskar, another German brand I can’t recall, as well as the GFBs. They all get the job done as long as their size is appropriate for the task. Even though I don’t own one I have always heard good things about the Council Tool. I got my cross cut certification this year and the USFS instructors used Council Tools and seemed to think very highly of the brand.

Purchase the best quality you can and never look back, it's better to buy once and cry once.
FWIW Husqvarna has some Swedish made axes that are really nice, not quite Granfors-Bruks nice, but still nice.
They're made by Hults Bruk without the quality or quality control. Sounds like you need to search reviews. Gaps in the axe eye that you can see light through it. Wide grain hickory clubs for haft. Handled one in a store. Not for me.

I won’t disagree with that except axes do disappear in the woods, especially when working with other sawyers. I have a Husky axe, a Fiskar, another German brand I can’t recall, as well as the GFBs. They all get the job done as long as their size is appropriate for the task. Even though I don’t own one I have always heard good things about the Council Tool. I got my cross cut certification this year and the USFS instructors used Council Tools and seemed to think very highly of the brand.
The USFS and GSA contracts that CT fulfils are specified as to dimensions, AISI 1080 steel, tempering, and grade A tight grain hickory oriented in line with the bit. The government wants the best and Craig Roost has the contract for axes, shovels, and others. They're not the cheapest, but IMHO, they're the best bang for my bucks. Certainly not worth 3-4 times the cost of European imports. Made in the USA, their pride shows in every tool that they forge. Just put my 4lb GSA away minutes ago. Been splitting some gnarly pine on the NorCal coast today and I've got four cords of it. Big knotty rounds. I have to saw about 1/3 of the two cords I've done so far. For this amount of work I dream of oak being a vacation, but it was free to me from a neighbor that runs a tree service.

I just got Hultafors light Felling Axe which is the cheaper version of Granfors Buks in regards to just not as finished. fit and finish same head so. Very impressed. Can't believe how much better it is than by cheaper stuff. Was around $80cdn. Would get another one in a minute.

Certainly not worth 3-4 times the cost of European imports.

Are you sure? Just a post or 2 back you claimed

both are priced twice what they're worth.

The math doesn't add up.

FWIW, twisty knotted oak ain't no picnic either. I've launched wedges several feet in the air trying to split stubborn pieces. Forget using an axe or a maul. Those peices all get thrown in a pile for a date with the log splitter.

Are you sure? Just a post or 2 back you claimed

The math doesn't add up.

FWIW, twisty knotted oak ain't no picnic either. I've launched wedges several feet in the air trying to split stubborn pieces. Forget using an axe or a maul. Those peices all get thrown in a pile for a date with the log splitter.
As it goes, I am the log splitter 😆.

They're made by Hults Bruk without the quality or quality control. Sounds like you need to search reviews. Gaps in the axe eye that you can see light through it. Wide grain hickory clubs for haft. Handled one in a store. Not for me.
I bought the large husky splitting axe last year and haven’t had any issues. Quality is very good especially for what they cost.

The answer to the question is what is your purpose for the axe. I have the small forestry axe, nice to throw into a pack and I appreciate the workmanship.

If I had to settle for one axe for logging and general purpose, it would be the Stihl Universal Woodcutter Forestry axe. It may not be without problems. Head loosens, others have handle breaks. 24", it is not really a felling axe. I limb and drive wedges. It will go back to the dealer though to let them fix a loosening handle for a second time. First time handle was replaced because it was loose. But I want it to be my favorite! Wish Council Tool made an equivalent. Maybe they do, the 2.25lb, 24" handle Boy's axe.

I limb also with a double bit Council Tool rather than a chainsaw for most (6"-11" dbh. Handle had a slight twist but did not want to send it back. Head loosens on it also. Single bit is long too for driving wedges.

I have the GFB splitting axe. I like it, compact and effective. I also use more, the Fiskars X27 Super Splitting, very effective. Depends on my mood which I choose for a job.

Having several axes allows you to figure what works best for your needs.

IMHO, Council Tool utility line axes are the best value. Forged AISI 1060 American steel with computer controlled heat treatment hung on grade A tight straight grained hickory. All materials sourced and made in the U.S. for a median price. It's it. Most useful are my 4lb GSA 36" and 2.25 Boy's Axe 28". Best bangs.

I wholeheartedly agree. Council Tool may not have the cool looks or the Swede pedigree, but their Velvicut line is every bit as good as GB and HB, and like you I think their handles are much better. They’re much slimmer, whereas I feel like the Swedish axes require some work to get them where I want them. Of course, I have very short fingers and your mileage may vary. Council also makes a much better variety of axes. GB & HB don’t make a 5 lb Dayton head on a 28” handle, which is a really ideal wedge beater, much less a 5 lb flathead axe whatsoever. And they cost a grand total of seventy bucks. That’s like a third of GB’s small maul, which is the closest thing they make in handle length and weight.

There’s a reason nobody else builds a Pulaski that anyone uses, Council has that market cornered. Barco used to build then for the FS but their product ended up being too soft away from the cutting edge.

WOW! this forum really came alive recently, I haven't ever heard of "Council tool" though I gave them a look and they look pretty nice.

I’ve got a GB small forest axe and I like it ok, and appreciate it for what it is. There’s definitely nothing special about the steel used in terms of durability and in everyday use situations I find myself baby-ing it as it gets dinged up. I’ve even used it to skin hogs. In the end end I actually prefer my Finnish axes…. Fiskars.

What do you think about the Husqvarna axes?

They are well made and good value, particularly if you can find them on sale.

The wooden handled axes are made by Hultafors AFAIK, the parent company of Hults Bruk. Some may be made by Helko. The steel is good quality and they keep a good edge.

https://axeandtool.com/hults-bruk-vs-hultafors/
The plastic handled axes are 'very similar' to Gardena axes, which can be found for less money. The are very sharp out of the box and the steel is good quality.

https://www.gardena.com/uk/products/tree-shrub-care/axes/
More good info at this link:

https://www.timbergadgets.com/axe-brands/

GB axes are what they are. I have a newer one but I also searched and found a vintage one. They are great axes and I love my vintage GBA more than the new one. It isn't as "sexy" but its a workhorse as a boys axe.

Yes, American axes are great as well as far as a vintage True Temper, Kelly Woodslasher, PLUMB, Evansville, MANN or a Norlund (a little pricey). You can find some of those at flea markets, yard sales, antique shops or even eBay on a late Friday or Saturday night and jump into the bidding at the last minute. Trust me I have And I don't live in a heavy logging state (GA).

Just last weekend I found a MANN 4lb axe at a pawn shop for $7. A Craftsman 2lb boys axe for $3 at the flea market. Found a throw away Husky axe for $3 at a junk store and a Woodings Verona hatchet US01 for $2 at the same junk store. And I wasn't looking for an axe except when I found the MANN. So, keep your eyes peeled and have cash on you and you can score an excellent axe or axe head for well under it's value. Learn to haft, wedge and hang your own and you'll be more skilled than you will know.

Latest posts

Back