Gray Top Husqvarna 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking at a saw (for some reason). It’s a 61 with dark gray top. What parts might be difficult to find? Not so interested if it has that one part that isn’t available anywhere.

Read on another thread there is possibility that clutch threads changed from coarse to fine sometime during 61 production and the old coarse clutches are impossible to find. Is there a date cutoff for that change? Probably shouldn’t trust color of the top cover as an indicator.

Personally- I would be more concerned about the two piece coil in these and their relative unobtainability, than the clutch.
As long as the spider of the clutch is not broken or cracked- the more modern shoes and spring swap straight over and refresh the clutch to near new again.
Only option with the two piece coil pack if it goes bad- is one out of Asia.

I would not worry......tens of thousands of these two piece ign saws out there.....and as many parts saws. The gray tops have the fine thread clutch so that's not a worry either. Gray tops were from 1986/7 on to 92 or so. Read the serial number to be sure of the year. Damn good saws in stock fashion and way better if changed out to later OEM P&C kits from the same family.....good starter saw...superior family in orange or red...

I would not worry......tens of thousands of these two piece ign saws out there.....and as many parts saws. The gray tops have the fine thread clutch so that's not a worry either. Gray tops were from 1986/7 on to 92 or so. Read the serial number to be sure of the year. Damn good saws in stock fashion and way better if changed out to later OEM P&C kits from the same family.....good starter saw...superior family in orange or red...

That will be a population thing and a saw per capita - any stripped out double coils over here are usually cooked and worn out- or the owners want to keep them.
But you are correct- there are MANY saws with them in that can be willing donors.
If at some stage of like that saw had a broken white top replaced by the newer grey- it could still have the coarse thread clutch from the earlier version, easy to tell looking at a covered or open crank tail.

The guy is asking $200. To me that seems kind of high. He says has "lots of compression". I'd classify appearance as honest use, not abuse. Send message asking him to tell me about his saw, waiting on response.

The guy is asking $200. To me that seems kind of high. He says has "lots of compression". I'd classify appearance as honest use, not abuse. Send message asking him to tell me about his saw, waiting on response.
too high, imo. Picked one up (earlier version) for $75…didn’t run but only due to disintegrated fuel line…
rebuilt it into a fantastic firewood cutter with a 24” bar.
new seals, carb rebuild, etc. P/C was fine.

The one I restored required a new sprocket cover, chain brake, and one of the ignition coils. In all, I might have dropped $250. The seller threw in a bunch of extra chains, some free tools in a steel tool box, and a Husqvarna storage case. It was his widow who sold the package to me. I don't use it as much as I should because my 257 has about the same strength and weighs a tad less. It's from the 200th anniversary edition:
1653404219710.jpeg
The engine still has good compression and always starts. Truly a classic.

Here is my favorite 61. Bought off ebay years back for $45.00. Had very few hours but had been used hard......I think GOV purchased fire saw maybe and then someone took it apart and put the piston in backwards. The top handle was all hacked up from encountering other running chainsaws. I wanted a project so it fit my bill and price range. Picked a good AM top handle and a 268XP cyl off ebay too. Went through it...... new seals and o-rings, new Meteor piston and ported the cyl and set the squish to 0.020", added a second port to the muffler. Adapted a late 670 recirculating carb and west coast V-stack with K&N filter. So this saw has the Jonsered choke activated high idle as well as the Husky thumb activated high idle. Real nice runner......very dependable...been in use 10 years or so now......thats the beauty of these saws......you can make them any just about any way you want them......this is a 1986 saw frame and has the fine thread crankshaft with a 670 clutch

IMG_1862.jpgIMG_1863.jpg

Guy accepted my $100 offer so hope to meet up today. I'm already looking for 268 top ends, though I think I'll do a full teardown and inspection before spending any additional money. Get it squared away as a 61, THEN decide whether its a candidate for upgrade.

Cantdog, your saw may be my inspiration.

Good deal if it's in decent shape! On those 268 cyls make certain it's a Mahle cyl as those are the XP cyls. The regular (later) 268 had a Gilardoni open port cyl.......a really well made P&C just not as powerful as the XP clys. though way more power than the stock 61. I have a 1988 61 that I bought used from a client and it still had the original chain in1989......real good saw.....been through a couple switches 2-3 fuel lines and many chains since then.....hasn't needed anything other than a top cover that got in an argument with a tree....and lost. Actually that is the cover on the 61 in the pics.......it was broken right where I had to cut out for the K&N filter so it worked out just fine in the end!!

Well, that poor 61 may have photographed well but was pretty rough. The frame was broken clear across in the crotch of the handle. Top cover had some cracks. And it just stopped making spark. Seems like a parts saw. Didn’t bring it home.

Well, that poor 61 may have photographed well but was pretty rough. The frame was broken clear across in the crotch of the handle. Top cover had some cracks. And it just stopped making spark. Seems like a parts saw. Didn’t bring it home.
Ahhh. That's to bad but $100.00 is way steep for a busted up parts saw. Way to many broken parts.......he was really dreaming at $200.00!!!!

My guess is he’s have sold for $75 today. Probably worth that to part it out but I hate selling and shipping stuff. Worst part is all buyers are PEOPLE and you know how they can be.

I consoled myself by getting mater plants and a head of cabbage from Amish dude at local flea market, and a $24 youth bow at pawn shop. I got my boy a nice bow last year so figured his friend can use this one when he comes over.
image.jpg

Keep looking, there should be plenty of 61's looking for new owners out there.

I just check what's for sale. If I find something interesting on which to tinker then maybe I check it out. I'm heavy on 50-55cc range. A 70cc or so is about all I'd be interested in, then maybe I'd send a couple smaller saws down the road. Except that I detail cleaned them, fixed them up, improved them a little and like having them around.

But it's early summer. I have a garden, BlackBerry hedge to work on, blueberries getting fat, an old Jeep project, motorcycle that needs work... tinkering on saws is more of a winter boredom hobby. No rush on finding the next project.

Back