Great deal on a Craftsman Riding Mower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow. The one with the bagger for $900 is definitely on the upper end of full retail. Baggers aren't cheap but they're also very model oriented and is hard to sell on their own.

The bottom one tho, just wow! Your prices are definitely higher than my area.
They are well out of the realm of possibility here also. No way anyone would give that for those here.

I've had 90% good luck with the replacement HIPA small 2 cycle carbs from amazon. Every once in awhile I get one that won't adjust properly but not often, engine just will not get smooth on the high rpm end. (usually $20 or less) I have Amazon Prime for free shipping.
They usually come as a tune up kit. You will need the special jet adjusting tool, sometimes it comes with the kit. If it does not work send it back free for a refund.

Yes the ethanol is not a good thing for the carbs and tygon fuel lines. Make a drawing of the fuel line routing connections FIRST especially if it has the external to the carb primer bulb because most generally the fuel LINES will need replaced and may break into pieces as the carb is moved. If a Bubba gets into one first the lines may already be connected wrong, see this quit often.

I like Walbro carbs, but some of the small one just won't come around with a kit.
I suspect little check valves (that are intended to be non-serviceable) buried deep inside has went bad.
Thanks about HIPA. I've seen them on amazon. And yes, I'm looking on amazon so I can return it if it doesn't work. Got stuck with one off ebay for my MS170 that didn't work. Bought a Zama? that did.
Hoses and primer bulb have been replaced.

One of the secrets to finding good deals on mowers is guessing just how bad people spell or can't form simple sentences.

I suppose that people can blame spell checkers, but only in part? Still read what you wrote. Deer or Deere and never johndeer, riding or rideing. Duh! Crazy....

To bad this ones in California. Looks like it could be a fun project.

View attachment 1006194
That is well overpriced. The 317 was not a good mower when it was new and has not gotten better with age. I had one and was glad to see it go. Those who have worked on them will tell you about the proprietary strangle hold Deere had on engine parts

Yes they sit all Winter with gas in them. Once I get them running, I'll dump the gas and run them dry for Winter storage.
I have really good luck using the Stihl oil mix gas in my 2 cycles and non-ethanol gas.
I seen a advertisement few years ago (maybe about 5 years back) where the Stihl oil mix leaves a film inside the tank/carb and fuel lines that helps prevent corrosion even after all the fuel has been dumped or consumed out of the carb.
On my 2 cycles using the Stihl oil mix (non-synthetic type oil) if they (2 cycles) are going to be stored for 6-10 months I dump the fuel and run the carb until it runs out of fuel and store in a place that does not get excessively hot.
On my 4 cycle engines, especially small emergency generators I drain all gas from the tank, especially if it's a steel tank, drain the carb bowl or run the engine until the carb starves the engine dead, then add some Auto transmission fluid (ATF) with little bit of non-ethanol gas and send it to the carb and coat the inside of a steel tank. If the carb has a bowl drain I send until I see ATF coming out the carb drain. When ready to operate the eq just add gas and go. If the bowl has a drain I let the new gas flush out some of the ATF before cranking. Works really good for me saving carbs and reducing gas tank corrosion/rusting. I do not use any of the gasoline fuel stabilizers, just ATF and sometimes Marvel Mystery oil from a bulk tank I have.

I'm really fortunate to have a dedicated ethanol free pump at the local gas station down the road from me. I run it in everything that has a small engine and don't have the same problems that I've had to fix on so many other people's equipment.
I do drain the fuel from everything that sits in the off-season also, as a preventative measure.

I went to look at another mower yesterday. Before going I wrote asking question and talked with the seller about the mower. He assured me that there were no issues, that the mower was in great condition and specifically was there no surging, among other questions.

Well it surged, and would only run with 1/3 choke on. I pointed this out to him, and he looked me square in the eye and said, "As far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong". Unbelievable. On top of that the blades were as soft as a babies bottom, and overall the mower was rough looking. The cutting deck looked like it could have some very thin sections with advanced rust.

I tried to negotiate a fairer price, and he refused, saying he could find someone else to pay his asking price. Never came across someone like this, grossly misrepresenting the condition of his machine for sale.

I could have fixed most all of it, but at my cost and efforts and would have been lucky to resell it at what he wanted to sell it to me.

Fudge!!! Double Fudge!!!! Waste of time and gas money. :mad:

Mower #8 for the year was picked up this morning.

I gave it an initial cleaning and everything works. I'll give it a detail cleaning and fix and adjust everything, get a seat cover, etc and it will be ready to sell. A Craftsman LT1000 with the 656cc Brigg&Stratton V-Twin. :yes:

It was pretty dirty, hence the good price. I wasn't sure if I was looking at a heavy accumulation of dirt or rust. Power washer showed it to be dirt.

CIMG0001.JPG

CIMG0002.JPG

I don't think this mower has ever been washed. Third washing with the powerwasher and it is still not to my standards. I need to adjust the clutch, my attempt to fix a slow leak in the left front tire is underway, and I ordered a seat cover. All in all this mower is coming along nicely, and was a good deal.

I discovered that the battery is brand new (July22) and so is the belts, deck spindles and the blades. A bubba mechanic attempted a seat safety switch by-pass. Not sure if I am going to reverse that or what.

CIMG0002 (2).JPG

CIMG0003.JPG

CIMG0004.JPG

I've got one that looks exactly like that 6 speed craftsman that I just restored. Also have another one that looks same except it's Hydrostatic drive and the decks are exactly the same on both rigs. The hydrostatic drive one has a oil burner Briggs twin OHV Intek engine.

When I got the rig I found the carb had been sucking dirt in the breather tube hole bypassing the air filter due to someone leaving the breather hose unplugged from the air box. (dirt/dust going directly into the carb intake throat) It was also very nasty with dust and grass build-up. Some people are just lazy about using little bit of proper TLC on their eq.
You were lucky you go to the rear rims before they rust seized on the axles. Little bit of Anti-seize on the axle shafts is a good thing before re-installing the rims..

I've got one that looks exactly like that 6 speed craftsman that I just restored. Also have another one that looks same except it's Hydrostatic drive and the decks are exactly the same on both rigs. The hydrostatic drive one has a oil burner Briggs twin OHV Intek engine.

When I got the rig I found the carb had been sucking dirt in the breather tube hole bypassing the air filter due to someone leaving the breather hose unplugged from the air box. (dirt/dust going directly into the carb intake throat) It was also very nasty with dust and grass build-up. Some people are just lazy about using little bit of proper TLC on their eq.
You were lucky you go to the rear rims before they rust seized on the axles. Little bit of Anti-seize on the axle shafts is a good thing before re-installing the rims..
It is turning out to be a very nice mower. I got the leaking tires sidewalls fixed. Still researching the clutch adjustment. Right now a tiny throw and if the idle is at all high it will buck forward and nearly toss me off the seat. Gots to get that fixed, plus the seat cover and it will be ready for craigslist.

My Craftsman 917.270930 that looks like yours also has the clutch that will pop your neck also.
If in 4rh gear and up it will pull the front wheels off the ground If engine speed is at 1/2 throttle and up.

When I first got the really nice clean looking mower/tractor, seat look new, a Bubba had taken the really clean looking Briggs twin 461707 engine apart, reported to crank fast but not start. Both heads, magneto, carb off the engine and Bubba was trying to get the flywheel off when they gave up. At least Bubba had all the parts and pieces in a old ice chest.
He gave me the rig due to him being sick of the machine as barter for me repairing his air compressor.

I put the engine back together and it had a weak spark, $20 replacement magneto and ran like new. Starts really fast, like new. The carb even looked new. Mower had apparently been stored inside by the previous owner and had TLC, but Bubba was really inflicting pain on the rig and losing ground fast.

Installed the low hours deck after packing the spindle bearings and sharpening the blades and put to test as A ok, except the blade brakes not working.

The blade brakes are the wimpy type on this one, finally got them to braking.

I have not looked at the neck popping clutch. Drive belt looks new.
Was kinda hoping the motion drive belt would wear in for slippage but not yet.
All the safety Interlocks work as intended.
Probably place it for sale next year.

My Craftsman 917.270930 that looks like yours also has the clutch that will pop your neck also.
If in 4rh gear and up it will pull the front wheels off the ground If engine speed is at 1/2 throttle and up.

When I first got the really nice clean looking mower/tractor, seat look new, a Bubba had taken the really clean looking Briggs twin 461707 engine apart, reported to crank fast but not start. Both heads, magneto, carb off the engine and Bubba was trying to get the flywheel off when they gave up. At least Bubba had all the parts and pieces in a old ice chest.
He gave me the rig due to him being sick of the machine as barter for me repairing his air compressor.

I put the engine back together and it had a weak spark, $20 replacement magneto and ran like new. Starts really fast, like new. The carb even looked new. Mower had apparently been stored inside by the previous owner and had TLC, but Bubba was really inflicting pain on the rig and losing ground fast.

Installed the low hours deck after packing the spindle bearings and sharpening the blades and put to test as A ok, except the blade brakes not working.

The blade brakes are the wimpy type on this one, finally got them to braking.

I have not looked at the neck popping clutch. Drive belt looks new.
Was kinda hoping the motion drive belt would wear in for slippage but not yet.
All the safety Interlocks work as intended.
Probably place it for sale next year.

Probably not correct, but from what I can tell the brake and clutch are one and the same. Doesn't seem likely, but I'm going to remove some spring tension from the brake mechanism and see if that will slacken up the throw on the "clutch". It might also be as you hinted, that the belt, being new, is real grabby, and maybe just needs to wear in a little. I've probably ridden the machine a few miles now, but no improvement in its lurching forward and attempting to throw me off the seat.

Mine does the same: (really have to let the clutch out slow and grabs all at once. Really a neck popper. (mtd could possibly be liable for causing the OP to spill a hot cut of coffee in their crotch and whip lash)
I suspect mtd needs one of these for this clutch:buttkick:

I have not dug into this one.
Post up the results of your findings and might save me some wrestling with this one.
I briefly looked at the IPL's and owners manual and seen no mention of clutch adjustments, just brake adjustments.

I backed out the brake tensioner nut, thinking that might slacken the clutch engagement. Will it work? Don't know yet. The mower is up on jacks and it has been raining something fierce all morning and is likely to continue into this evening. Lots of Thunder&Lighting. Quite the show. 👍

Latest posts

Back