Greenworks 60V saw stops in the cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuldup

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody out there,
So I have this 60V Greenworks chainsaw. I use it for small tasks around the wood piles and for small trees and brush. It actually pulls the 18" bar well [chain - 3/8'' LP 0.05'', 63DL - is veeery mild, like 2 rakers to a (small, narrow) cutting tooth], but if I give it too much load it will just stop in a cut. This is obviously an overcurrent or overtemperature protection device activating. It is never really complaining before this happens. If this were a gas saw I'd say it was in the sweet spot, right before it stops. Anyone with this saw have an idea on modifying the protection device out of nanny mode?

Hey everybody out there,
So I have this 60V Greenworks chainsaw. I use it for small tasks around the wood piles and for small trees and brush. It actually pulls the 18" bar well [chain - 3/8'' LP 0.05'', 63DL - is veeery mild, like 2 rakers to a (small, narrow) cutting tooth], but if I give it too much load it will just stop in a cut. This is obviously an overcurrent or overtemperature protection device activating. It is never really complaining before this happens. If this were a gas saw I'd say it was in the sweet spot, right before it stops. Anyone with this saw have an idea on modifying the protection device out of nanny mode?

Personally I wouldn't modify an over-current protection device. That's a good way to release the magic smoke, melt something into uselessness, or start a fire.

First thing I'd do is make sure my chain was razor sharp and my rakers weren't too aggressive. Sounds like you've done that though.

Maybe you're expecting too much? I moved to the Greenworks 80V with the bigger 4Ah battery and it was worth the upgrade. Cuts firewood and does light jobs with ease. It's right below my 034 in terms of usefulness, saw time, and power.

Oh yeah, my chains are always super sharp. Rakers are very tall. Using the 4ah battery as well. Could be expecting too much. My other gas saws are all ported and cut like mad. One is an MS 360 much like your 034 @Hundred Acre Wood. This saw just seems like it is doing so well in a cut then it stops and kills the mojo. It's so nice for little jobs around the wood pile/splitting, not having to wear muffs, smell like gas, etc.

I have the Kobalt 80v version, and it's only 2/3rds as fast as a 50cc saw. It'll eat anything an 18" bar gas saw will eat, just not as fast. It is what it is.

Easily my most often used saw. Won't replace any of my Stihls, though.

I have the Kobalt 80v version, and it's only 2/3rds as fast as a 50cc saw. It'll eat anything an 18" bar gas saw will eat, just not as fast. It is what it is.

Easily my most often used saw. Won't replace any of my Stihls, though.

Same. My 80V Greenworks gets a lot of runtime and it's just below my 034 in terms of power and usefulness. It's great for firewood and small jobs when you let it do its thing.

When I need real power I break out the 046 and 500i.

I just got the Powerworks version of the 60v 16". I find that if I'm cutting larger, 14" and up, logs the saw will trip the over temp after about 10 cuts. Nothing is hot and it resets almost immediately, only to trip again in 10 sec. I understand there is a way to disable the overtemp sensor. Anyone know the secret? I know, "Don't disable that, you'll burst into flames!".

Other than this annoyance, I really like the saw. Stealth firewooding. Filled my ATV trailer on half a charge in 12-14" wood.

Interesting, I've never had the overtemp sensor trip on mine. Even cutting enough to fill a pickup truck, burning through four batteries as fast as I could in 16"+ diameter maple, never had an issue.

Maybe try a different battery when you hit overtemp. I've had batteries get too warm and shut down.

I also don't ever cut in hot temperatures, might be a factor.

Interesting, I've never had the overtemp sensor trip on mine. Even cutting enough to fill a pickup truck, burning through four batteries as fast as I could in 16"+ diameter maple, never had an issue.

Maybe try a different battery when you hit overtemp. I've had batteries get too warm and shut down.

I also don't ever cut in hot temperatures, might be a factor.
I think it was the battery. I ran the battery fully dead and charged it to 100%. Previously I just threw it on the charger at whatever charge it had that day. After the "reset" it will take load much better and allow the rpm to drop without just stopping.
It is really handy in the processing area for dealing with the little branches or pieces that I missed making under 30" long.

Great.

Depending on what battery management system they're using and how it's programmed, and how you've been using it, it may have needed that run down and recharge to rebalance the pack.

They really are handy, my battery electric saw is my most used saw. I won't be getting rid of the 034S or 500i, but if I lost all my saws right this instant in a tragic boating accident, the electric one is the one I'd go out and replace immediately. The other two whenever I got around to it.

Great.

Depending on what battery management system they're using and how it's programmed, and how you've been using it, it may have needed that run down and recharge to rebalance the pack.

They really are handy, my battery electric saw is my most used saw. I won't be getting rid of the 034S or 500i, but if I lost all my saws right this instant in a tragic boating accident, the electric one is the one I'd go out and replace immediately. The other two whenever I got around to it.
Well, if you need the shelf space I can give you an address to send the 500i. ;-)

I have both the Kobalt 80V and the Ego 56V Gen 3, both came with 18" 0.050 bar/chains. One of the best performance enhancements is to downsize not only the bar length, but also the chain gauge (0.050 to 0.043), huge difference, especially with the narrow chain. Of course there will be trade offs. Also noticed that the Ego has a variable trigger, and after running it full throttle for a while, it will start to trip the overload stop. When I noticed that happening, I back off on how much I'm pushing the saw into the wood, but also throttle back a little. It's been a few years since I used the Kobalt, but I think that had a variable speed trigger too.

Another vote on don't modify the electrical internals. The wires are probably already undersized, so removing any current limiting features will at least results in reduced lifespan. Appreciate the battery powered saw for what it is capable of, not what a comparably sized gas saw will do.

Just took down two 18" dead ash with my 500i, my 034, and my Greenworks 80V. My 046 never left the barn.

A few big cuts with my gas saws and my Greenworks did the rest. Probably more than 80% of the work.

No noise, no fumes, very little vibration. They really are a pleasure to use.

Back