Grinding Wheel Let Loose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK, So I now have my saw on the bench and after replacing all three gas lines the saw is now ready to go. So I decide to sharpen the chain. Not a problem. Yet. Anyway washed chain with old mix and set it into my Golly Star. I have had this grinder for over nine years and have sharpened hundreds of chains. With the 1/8 grinding wheel in place I adjusted the head for 60/30. BTW I am sharpening a Husky chain on a 18 inch bar on a Yellow PoulanPro saw. Well going along and after about four teeth the wheel on the grinder let loose. Parts of the wheel fell to the floor. I was wearing my glasses. Anyway the wheel still had well over 70% of life left but decided to let go. This was a wake up call for sure. This has never happened to me before. Just a heads up to others. It could happen again to anyone. The wheel was put on hand tightened with the Allen wrench supplied when I got the grinder. I ordered another wheel from a sponsor on this site. Get this, the cheapest shipping cost more that the cost of the wheel, Ken

My last welding shop we used 36grit sanding pads on grinders to smooth out welds that the customers wanted ground.

A girl had one blow up on her. She had chunks the size of 1/2 dollar coins that wedge themselves all the way under ALL of her skin, between hers skin and muscle on her thigh.

It was a big infection problem.

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231] đź›»

Wow, good reminders. Full face shields are nice to have. Once you get used to them, you forget they are there until something smacks into them, then you are glad they are there.

Feel bad for that girl. Sounds like an ugly injury.

Had a brand new porter cable wheel explode on my 5" angle grinder, i sharpen 30+ mower blades a week and that window has years of metal and grit embedded in it. I put on a new wheel...passed the noise test..snugged it down, right about the instant it hit full speed...bang.

I never remove my guards and this is why. That guard was lined up with my chest, neck and face
5cba9dbc84edcc4a8f4ac5624051e0d7.jpg
c10e35fe720a82f77f7c02063c6fb200.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I never remove my guards and this is why. That guard was lined up with my chest, neck and face
Same here. I do a lot of welding and have probably a dozen angle grinders, and every time I see someone use one on YouTube or wherever without a guard, I cringe.

Somewhere along the line I heard of someone who had a grinding (or cutting?) wheel come unglued on an angle grinder without the guard installed, and hunks of the wheel hit him near the crotch, opened up his femoral artery and he basically bled out faster than he could turn the switch off on the grinder. Dead in seconds.

Running an angle grinder without the guard might look kewl, but it's a really bad idea, face shield or not.

OK, So I now have my saw on the bench and after replacing all three gas lines the saw is now ready to go. So I decide to sharpen the chain. Not a problem. Yet. Anyway washed chain with old mix and set it into my Golly Star. I have had this grinder for over nine years and have sharpened hundreds of chains. With the 1/8 grinding wheel in place I adjusted the head for 60/30. BTW I am sharpening a Husky chain on a 18 inch bar on a Yellow PoulanPro saw. Well going along and after about four teeth the wheel on the grinder let loose. Parts of the wheel fell to the floor. I was wearing my glasses. Anyway the wheel still had well over 70% of life left but decided to let go. This was a wake up call for sure. This has never happened to me before. Just a heads up to others. It could happen again to anyone. The wheel was put on hand tightened with the Allen wrench supplied when I got the grinder. I ordered another wheel from a sponsor on this site. Get this, the cheapest shipping cost more that the cost of the wheel, Ken
Years back, OSHA Inspector advised bench and side grinder stones flying apart were the cause of high # of accidents/ injuries; beware

Latest posts

Back