Grinding wheel size confirmation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brazos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My local saw shop used to charge $6/chain to sharpen but are now $12/chain. Because of this I bought a chain grinder off Craig’s List. It came with a few wheels but I want to make sure I understand what thickness of wheel I should use. For example one of my chains says 3/16” on the box it came in. I would assume I need a 3/16” wheel for this chain? Another chain the Stihl chart says 5/32”. My wheels are 5-3/4” with a 7/8” arbor and I have not found a 5/32” wheel yet. Can I use the next size thicker (or thinner)?

Shopping for wheels I see some are under $10 and some are $30. Is there a big difference between a $10, $20, & $30 wheel?

Thanks in advance for you input.

Brazos

Brazos!

The size is not critical, but you want to be in the ballpark, so to speak. For my 3/8 chain I use a 3/16ths wheel, and for the PM/PMM/PS3 chains I use the next size down. They don't match the file sizes exactly, but that's only important if you touch up your ground chains with a file in the field. Philbert always says file as you grind, and grind as you file. Otherwise, you simply clean out the gullet with a round file, and call it done.

Hope this helps.

Mike

as most of the wheels are listed in Millimeters the two you would need are 3.2mm and 4.7 yep that 1/8" and 3/16 apx. for the pico chains take the 1/8 " and dress it down to fit you can do the same with 4.7 for full tilt 3/8 cutters as the 3/16 is a tad large and the 1/8" is a tad small. you just roll up the back side with the dressing stone to stay off the tie strapps. By the way this is exactly what Stilh recommends doing for their pico size chains.

Latest posts

Back