Guide for modding a stihl bar to fit a mcculloch 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I did want to mill with a 36" bar, what are good vintage saws to keep my eyes open for? I suspect the modern saws that will pull a 36" bar are either out of my price range, or I already know them (China made knockoffs), so Vintage saws are probably what I need to target.

I mean I can always add a secondary oil drip if they aren't automatic, but keeping my options, and eyes open; what should I be looking for?

2100. They are the end-all up by me. Old enough to be fairly cheap, auto oiler with a manual override, powerful enough the make a stock 395 seem like a Farm Boss. Of course, finding them outside of big timber country may be a little tricky.

Thanks. How's the husq 288 compare? Only 2100 I can find under 1k needs an engine rebuild... 288s seem closer to my price range, but at 12cc less displacement... they still have the power I'd need?

Got plenty of time to figure it out it seems... my attempts to start chainsaw milling must be cursed...

1. Missed that the internal fuel line was absent from the mac 250... ~1wk delay on ordering one...
2. Replacement bar arrives damaged... unknown delay on replacement coming from China
3. Ordered a knockoff 070 from china on alibaba. seller demanded I cancel the order because their freight calculator wasn't working and it under charged me... still waiting on alibaba to sort out my refund.
4. The mill was lost in shipping... got the ups claim done but now I'm waiting on the seller to put the replacement in the mail.

Really... feeling cursed here.

Currently best case the fuel line arrives next week, mill gets here before the weekend, I can bend the bar back into place and mod it to fit the 250... try out the mac 250 in the mill and see if it's workable. If so, definitely pick up an oil dripper and install it and I'm rolling... but in case not, I'm keeping my eyes open for a bigger saw that can pull the 36 inch .404 .63 ripping chain on my mill... seeing a couple 288s just in my price range, though stretching it.

Unrelated note... the 105 cc 70 is rated at less hp/kw than the 92cc 660... is that accurate? 660 newer model/more efficient?

So I found a 2101 locally and took a look at it but we were just a few dollars too far apart on price.

Keeping my eyes open but in the meantime I'm trying to get the 250 set up to see if I can get by with it for at least a while.

Found out that 3/8" nuts with the center drilled out to 3/8" ( threading removed) is the perfect size to fit the stihl/knockoff 070 style bar on... just need to cut off several mm on the tail and create an oil channel and I should be good to go.

Fuel line/filter should be here by tomorrow and I'll put the 16" bar on the saw and see how she runs before doing any mods to the bar.

Secondary oil setup and the replacement for the mill that ups lost are en route.

Back