H beam question on a splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m thinking on building a splitter with an adjustable 4 way wedge. 5” cylinder with a 30” stroke hopefully around 30 tons. I have an 8”x9” H beam with a 15/16” x8” top and bottom flange and 5/8”x 9” center web. Close as I can tell about 70 pounds a foot. I’m wanting about a 16” tall upright wedge. I’m wondering if the beam is heavy enough as it is or if it needs some more reinforcement. Thanks

I’m thinking on building a splitter with an adjustable 4 way wedge. 5” cylinder with a 30” stroke hopefully around 30 tons. I have an 8”x9” H beam with a 15/16” x8” top and bottom flange and 5/8”x 9” center web. Close as I can tell about 70 pounds a foot. I’m wanting about a 16” tall upright wedge. I’m wondering if the beam is heavy enough as it is or if it needs some more reinforcement. Thanks
I do not know what size of engine you are running but heat build up could be an issue. Why Well in one situation I welded tubing to reinforce I beam and allow oil to run through the tubing which act like a radiator for cooling. My current project is made just with heavy wall four inch tubing which eliminates any oil tank. Thanks

I'm no engineer but I think it would be fine, you could add some pieces along the sides to stiffen it some. See if you can find Kevin in Ohio's build. Keep us posted. As far as heat is concerned I have yet to see a homeowner work one hard enough for it to be an issue. I have worked mine long and hard at times and I have a 17 gal tank with temp gauge on it and have never seen it above 165* YMMV

I think I’m going to reinforce it for good measure. I’m going to use a 30 gallon tank so I don’t think heat should be a problem.

I don’t know for sure. For myself that’s a lot of welds to make sure are oil proof. I’m not willing to try it.

4" cylinder with 36" stroke, 4 way hydraulic adjustable wedge 16 gpm pump. Not sure what the beam is right now but I think it was 1/2" x 8 x 8 H beam. I can twist the beam on crotches.

Attachments

• IMG_20151226_145850.jpg
    IMG_20151226_145850.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20181207_171244.jpg
    20181207_171244.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20200914_192140.jpg
    20200914_192140.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Well this beam is 9x8 with 1” top and bottom flange with 5/8” web and I’m gonna reinforce it with two 3/8” plates so hopefully it doesn’t twist much

I bought a used homemade splitter a few years back that the old guy that had built it used two heavy twelve inch channel irons with the wedge in the middle all the way threw the channel with a one inch plate welded on top for the pusher to slide on. I have added a six inch cylinder and a six way hyd wedge to it and those channels don't flex at all.

Latest posts

Back