Had a close call today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shooters Apprentice

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Guys, I had a scary close call today.

Headed out to a old logging claim to get a load of fire wood. Freshly sharpened 28” chain on my 372xp with the rakers filed down a bit just the way I like.

Backed my F350 up to a decent pile of nice delimbed tops just the right size for firewood.

Grabbed the saw, and started doing some clean up to get the the main pile of logs and get a better work area.

About 5 mins into cutting and man, that saw was tuned just right, and cutting like a hot knife through butter. I had climbed up on the pile a bit and was trying to cut a couple 6-8 inch logs out of my way to get ti the main pile. I’m usually extremely careful doing this, but failed to notice the log was under the pile at both ends and had tension.

I started cutting it, and about 3/4 of the way through I saw it start to move, but it was too late. That saw went through that log and it shot out from under me like a slingshot, and I went off the pile backwards with the saw still at full rev, and fell about 5’ before hitting ground.

Luckily I was able to slam the chain brake forward on my way down, and get myself turned just a bit before I get ground, but that bar and chain still smacked me in the face.

I never did find my safety glasses. I reached up and felt blood and knew half of face was missing. I could feel the burn. I couldnt see through the blood. I got to my feet and got to my truck, and found my first aid kit, and worked up the courage to look in the mirror. I’m 13 miles from the nearest road with no phone signal. My only hope is to get myself patched up and drive myself out. Finally sucked down my fear, looked in the mirror, and imagine my surprise to find barely a scratch.

Guys, I’ve been running saws for 15 years, cutting and selling wood, clearing land, doing other side jobs. My dad was a timber caller in south east alaska. 15 years, and I’ve never drawn blood until now.

Way to close of a call. Be careful guys. It only takes a fraction of a second, and one wrong move for things to go wrong.CEF73727-A749-4880-866B-3D4232445579.jpegC7C19D29-5A29-4DD4-A7E3-64975D2260F0.jpeg

That's why I don't climb onto a pile when cutting firewood. To me, it seems like asking for something to go wrong. At least for me.
Agreed, Jeff. I am working on a pile of big logs with another helper. Cutting above ground in a pile is an accident waiting to happen. We push the logs down and flat to the ground before we start the saws. Some are so big and high up that we cannot budge them. So, they remain there. It's dangerous enough just to climb up the stack and push them down. I walk away from that activity. That's why tractors with front loaders were invented.

Agreed, Jeff. I am working on a pile of big logs with another helper. Cutting above ground in a pile is an accident waiting to happen. We push the logs down and flat to the ground before we start the saws. Some are so big and high up that we cannot budge them. So, they remain there. It's dangerous enough just to climb up the stack and push them down. I walk away from that activity. That's why tractors with front loaders were invented.
Yes, I couldn't agree more. I'm definitely not talking smack to the OP, as everybody cuts their wood the way they want to. But that's just something that I'm not personally willing to do. Cutting trees and firewood is inherently dangerous enough, I'm not willing to make it any riskier than it already is.

Guys, I had a scary close call today.

Headed out to a old logging claim to get a load of fire wood. Freshly sharpened 28” chain on my 372xp with the rakers filed down a bit just the way I like.

Backed my F350 up to a decent pile of nice delimbed tops just the right size for firewood.

Grabbed the saw, and started doing some clean up to get the the main pile of logs and get a better work area.

About 5 mins into cutting and man, that saw was tuned just right, and cutting like a hot knife through butter. I had climbed up on the pile a bit and was trying to cut a couple 6-8 inch logs out of my way to get ti the main pile. I’m usually extremely careful doing this, but failed to notice the log was under the pile at both ends and had tension.

I started cutting it, and about 3/4 of the way through I saw it start to move, but it was too late. That saw went through that log and it shot out from under me like a slingshot, and I went off the pile backwards with the saw still at full rev, and fell about 5’ before hitting ground.

Luckily I was able to slam the chain brake forward on my way down, and get myself turned just a bit before I get ground, but that bar and chain still smacked me in the face.

I never did find my safety glasses. I reached up and felt blood and knew half of face was missing. I could feel the burn. I couldnt see through the blood. I got to my feet and got to my truck, and found my first aid kit, and worked up the courage to look in the mirror. I’m 13 miles from the nearest road with no phone signal. My only hope is to get myself patched up and drive myself out. Finally sucked down my fear, looked in the mirror, and imagine my surprise to find barely a scratch.

Guys, I’ve been running saws for 15 years, cutting and selling wood, clearing land, doing other side jobs. My dad was a timber caller in south east alaska. 15 years, and I’ve never drawn blood until now.

Way to close of a call. Be careful guys. It only takes a fraction of a second, and one wrong move for things to go wrong.View attachment 1005375View attachment 1005378
It can be surprising how much blood comes out, and then you mop it up and find it's only a small cut.

Ouch! Your goggles may have saved your eye.

Time to buy one of these - and wear it. I don't cut without wearing one.

This is the cheapest version from Husqvarna. They do two 'better' versions at higher price points. And other companies sell similar ones.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/person...t/functional-forest-helmet-slip-ratchet/quote

View attachment 1005389
Just an fyi, the guys at my local saw shop said they stopped stocking husky helmets because they are way too cheap/flimsy. The new Stihl helmets were ~$80 a pop last time I got one, but they are the creme de la creme of saw hats. The are the most comfortable, ergonomic, and well thought out saw hat I've worn to date.

Good grief! My blood ran cold when You got to the point where you were thrown off the pile from 5ft up & the saw was coming at you!!! Very glad you came out of it with barely a scratch & were able to tell this story. I'm sure you have smartened up a lot of people & maybe even saved a life or two!! Amen!!! Thanks for sharing. There was a recent U-Tube video put up by Buckin Billy Ray where he fell while standing on the trunk & limbs of a felled tree. He fell awkwardly into the tangle & did a number on his right knee. He was very lucky to not have fallen on the saw.

Ouch! Your goggles may have saved your eye.

Time to buy one of these - and wear it. I don't cut without wearing one.

This is the cheapest version from Husqvarna. They do two 'better' versions at higher price points. And other companies sell similar ones.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/person...t/functional-forest-helmet-slip-ratchet/quote

View attachment 1005389

By the way, the face shield and ear protection that comes with this Husqvarna PPE also fits perfectly into the PETZL VERTEX and PETZL VERTEX VENT helmets, both of which have a chin strap with two breakaway settings, one for work at height and one for ground work.
https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Tactical/Helmetshttps://www.petzl.com/US/en/Professional/Helmets

Working with piles of logs that look like easy meat may be more dangerous that trying to process a standing tree. The logs in that pile are unpredictable and can move without warning, Ankles are often broken, knees dislocated, cartilage torn, etc. Falls that create other more serious injuries can occur and big logs at the top of the pile can start rolling unexpectedly. Be careful.

Latest posts

Back