Hands-On Experience 592XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably never will they still sell new ones at my saw shop but I’ll never buy anything stihl again because of what that Tech told me.
They say a lot don't they.

I have both the 661 and 592, pick one and cut, they're both equals in my book. The 592 sounds better, better throttle response, but power wise they're too close for me to care.

Damn! A 20” bar on a 592XP. I did run a 20” on my old 385XP back in Houston during hurricane clean-up. 24” is my standard “go to” bar size, but 28, 32, and 36 inch bars are in the stable. When cutting BIG lodge pole pines, the longer bars are very handy.

JQ
Running a 28” on mine do like that size good balance and performance

They say a lot don't they.

I have both the 661 and 592, pick one and cut, they're both equals in my book. The 592 sounds better, better throttle response, but power wise they're too close for me to care.
I got my 592 pinched on a fall called the guy I’m teaching to cut and he handed me his 661 I cut the rest immediately after and it was close but I could tell the 592 had more ass but it was close to be sure.

Damn! A 20” bar on a 592XP. I did run a 20” on my old 385XP back in Houston during hurricane clean-up. 24” is my standard “go to” bar size, but 28, 32, and 36 inch bars are in the stable. When cutting BIG lodge pole pines, the longer bars are very handy.

JQ
When I was on a firewood crew back in the early 90s one of our guys…the fastest one…bought 2 of the then new 066 west coast editions (7.8hp, factory)…and used 20” bars. We cut mostly Almond so 20” was fine for a short guy :p. We got paid by the cord, not hourly. Chain speed is king in smaller wood. I bought one after using his one day to go with my 266xp Husky.
The rest of us used 24-28” depending on height.
he literally blew threw the wood…could keep 3 brusheres humping…when he had them.
he, 65yrs old, and his 45 yr old daughter could cut, brush and hand split 5cord a day. The man was a machine. After learning from him the best I could do was 3cord/day.
ah, to be that young again :p

I plan on porting and polishing mine probably gunna mod the exhaust as well idk I’m done with stihl the last 661C I had the crank split after 3 months and one day the stihl tecs told me I should be able to buy a new saw every 3 months if I was a logger I beg to differ
If a saw won't last a year under commercial use then it is JUNK! So yea 3 months is a joke. CJ

Exactly that’s how I feel I don’t mind buying a new saw every year I really don’t.
I know I have said this a few times but we rotated 1 saw out every year. I was nice to have the new saw "feel" along with running a older saw back to back to see any improvements. We would sell the older saw to friends and never had a issue with selling them, most were sold before we got the new one. So each saw had 1 full year of commercial use. I felt sorry for the saws when we were pine thinning, man they got ran hard! I only had to repair 1 saw that we sold and that was a 372 that the intake clamp broke. So the 3 month thing is BS. CJ

I know I have said this a few times but we rotated 1 saw out every year. I was nice to have the new saw "feel" along with running a older saw back to back to see any improvements. We would sell the older saw to friends and never had a issue with selling them, most were sold before we got the new one. So each saw had 1 full year of commercial use. I felt sorry for the saws when we were pine thinning, man they got ran hard! I only had to repair 1 saw that we sold and that was a 372 that the intake clamp broke. So the 3 month thing is BS. CJ
That’s exactly how me and my father in-law did it. I bought a 7310p echo last year ran it hard logging bought it for 689$ on sale 15% off sold it for 500$ changed the spark plug once and replaced the carb and tuned it in before I sold it. I made a lot of money off that saw really. bought a new one for my back up.

It will smoke a 500i
SO you've ran them both side by side? Im NOT trying to stir crap up, just asking? For ME, weight is 2nd, cutting ability is 1st, and at less than 14lbs powerhead weight, I aint found ANYTHING that will cut with a 500i. A 390xp wont do it and its got several POUNDS of weight advantage over the 500i. If you've read any of my posts, you will see that Ive always been a Husqvarna user simply because pound for pound they would out cut anything stihl made. I also said thatif stihl ever came out with a saw that would beat them pound for pound, I would buy it. Well that's exactly where I am.
ETA: you aren't the only one around here that cuts BIG oak either, I cut trees sometimes that will average over 2k ft per tree and the stihl has more torque and chain speed than a 390xp even in that size wood.

SO you've ran them both side by side? Im NOT trying to stir crap up, just asking? For ME, weight is 2nd, cutting ability is 1st, and at less than 14lbs powerhead weight, I aint found ANYTHING that will cut with a 500i. A 390xp wont do it and its got several POUNDS of weight advantage over the 500i. If you've read any of my posts, you will see that Ive always been a Husqvarna user simply because pound for pound they would out cut anything stihl made. I also said thatif stihl ever came out with a saw that would beat them pound for pound, I would buy it. Well that's exactly where I am.
ETA: you aren't the only one around here that cuts BIG oak either, I cut trees sometimes that will average over 2k ft per tree and the stihl has more torque and chain speed than a 390xp even in that size wood.
I’m telling you yes the 592 will smoke a 661C and a 500i witch is smaller. ETA: I cut pulp wood too i don’t care what I cut as long as it makes me the most money so chill bro and I’ve found that if anyone starts a post out with I’m not trying to stir up crap is probably thinking that’s what’s gunna happen I cut timber that’s all man if you think the 500i is more powerful than it’s big brother the 661C or the 592Xp that’s fine it doesn’t make it true on top of that it’s the same price as a bigger more powerful saw numbers don’t lie if weight is second than take the bigger saw I was a stihl guy for years and I’m not now because of how I was treated by stihl I have a bias and I’ll admit it but numbers are numbers and a 592 will eat a 500i no one knows how long either one of those saws will last but I’m about to find out if the 592 last as long without breaking down I know that.

I’m telling you yes the 592 will smoke a 661C and a 500i witch is smaller. ETA: I cut pulp wood too i don’t care what I cut as long as it makes me the most money so chill bro and I’ve found that if anyone starts a post out with I’m not trying to stir up crap is probably thinking that’s what’s gunna happen I cut timber that’s all man if you think the 500i is more powerful than it’s big brother the 661C or the 592Xp that’s fine it doesn’t make it true on top of that it’s the same price as a bigger more powerful saw numbers don’t lie if weight is second than take the bigger saw I was a stihl guy for years and I’m not now because of how I was treated by stihl I have a bias and I’ll admit it but numbers are numbers and a 592 will eat a 500i no one knows how long either one of those saws will last but I’m about to find out if the 592 last as long without breaking down.and you might be able to buy one if you can even find a 500i

Attachments

• 75500BBC-839E-4944-8CC6-381221071CB1.jpeg
    75500BBC-839E-4944-8CC6-381221071CB1.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 2
  • C40CF4A6-9D84-44C8-A194-CED906D1BE96.jpeg
    C40CF4A6-9D84-44C8-A194-CED906D1BE96.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1
I plan on porting and polishing mine probably gunna mod the exhaust as well idk I’m done with stihl the last 661C I had the crank split after 3 months and one day the stihl tecs told me I should be able to buy a new saw every 3 months if I was a logger I beg to differ
I’m definitely going to clean up my exhaust port and mod my muffler Monday probably I’ll do some comparison videos and put it against some other saws I got I’m gunna mod my echo 7310p as well gasket delete big muffler mod and I’m cleaning up the exhaust port see if I can beat a 462 stihl and with out a doubt probably a 461 stihl I got a bunch of saws I can compare against

I really hope Kevin [huskstihl] will convert one of these to carb like he was thinking. I picked up my 372 for the first time in a while and the saw just fits me and runs the same EVERY time. I really want to replace my 390 with one. Just picked up a beach removal job and there are a bunch of larger trees that the bigger saws will get used. Any issues with the 592 auto tune? My 562 is spotty at best. Cj

I really hope Kevin [huskstihl] will convert one of these to carb like he was thinking. I picked up my 372 for the first time in a while and the saw just fits me and runs the same EVERY time. I really want to replace my 390 with one. Just picked up a beach removal job and there are a bunch of larger trees that the bigger saws will get used. Any issues with the 592 auto tune? My 562 is spotty at best. Cj
I’ve ran like 15 gallons through one saw and 6 through the other haven’t had any issues but only time will tell if they fixed the bugs from the older models

Back