Hard nose bars and chain pitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel2019

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does its matter watch chain pitch you use one a hard nose bar looking at getting a new durarail bar for my old pioneer 620 and cant find any .404 bars only 3/8. so as long as the gauge is the same does it matter

The gauge of the chain and bar have to match, bar doesn't care about the pitch but the pitch of the drive sprocket and the chain have to match.
I have a brand new rim sprocket clutch drum sitting here waiting to go on 1 of the 3 620's I have. Could go with 3/8 if I wanted to but like the idea of a big .404 full chisel especially with these low RPM saws.

On a hard-nose bar, you only have to match the chain gauge not the pitch since there is no sprocket on the end of the bar. I have some hard nose oregon bars I use for dirty wood along with duracut chains that have extra chrome on the back side that last longer in the dirt.

This. If you’ve got a 3/8 drive sprocket on the clutch end, gotta be a 3/8 chain.
The standard pioneer 600 series spur sprocket is for .400 pitch chain but works with .404 I was lucky to find a NOS Oregon rim sprocket clutch bell. looks like I might have to run either a pioneer bar with .063 .404 or go to 3/8 .058 the dealer says Oregon no longer makes the 22 inch duracut even though you can still find it on their website it was the only .063 k095 mount duracut they had.

Back