Has anyone had their firewood kiln dried?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always amazed when people complain about "seasoned" firewood...don't think is seasoned enough for you?
Buy it earlier/ stack it better and it will be fine. I sell more firewood in the spring than fall. I have better educated clients. Wasn't easy finding/ training them but it can be done.
Around here the only "kiln dried" firewood goes to restaurants at $250 to "$300 a half cord delivered. Usually in a box truck. Yes $600 a cord delivered

My wood "supplier" kiln dries, removes the bark and cuts it into nice rectangles all for free.;)
But seriously if you can find a place giving away pallets like this, mostly oak (sheet metal co. near me)
it makes very good fire wood, as good or better than regular cordwood.
Just cut to length and it is ready to burn.

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_185656141.jpg
    IMG_20220829_185656141.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 0
What you say about equilibrium is true... given time. Many of the customers we serve do not have the luxury of time to air dry their wood properly. They buy kiln dried to burn now (this season). Some like it enough to buy it every year.
Do you only Kiln dry down to the local equilibrium moisture content for your area? Seems that it would make sense financially as going lower or dryer might not be lasting or particularly advantageous. Perhaps this is what you do? Reaching 20% or a bit less seems to be the accepted golden rule for most standalone stoves or inserts etc. for optimum performance. Curious.

Do you only Kiln dry down to the local equilibrium moisture content for your area? Seems that it would make sense financially as going lower or dryer might not be lasting or particularly advantageous. Perhaps this is what you do? Reaching 20% or a bit less seems to be the accepted golden rule for most standalone stoves or inserts etc. for optimum performance. Curious.
20% is what we shoot for. Finished a run today.

20220831_081715-kiln-read.jpg

Has anyone tried solar kilns? Seems to me, there were a bunch of models on YouTube that had promise.

There are solar kiln plans on google, just search for them. You still need fans inside and some controls. It's not 100% passive but a lot better than none at all. I want to build one for my milled slabs.

Always amazed when people complain about "seasoned" firewood...don't think is seasoned enough for you?
Buy it earlier/ stack it better and it will be fine. I sell more firewood in the spring than fall. I have better educated clients. Wasn't easy finding/ training them but it can be done.
Around here the only "kiln dried" firewood goes to restaurants at $250 to "$300 a half cord delivered. Usually in a box truck. Yes $600 a cord delivered
I delivered a cord of KD to a fellow a while back, it came to $855 delivered.

put wood in the gurage and crank up the wood stove make it as hot as you can to dry the firerwood

What many do not seem to know is that kiln-dried wood will absorb moisture until it is in equilibrium with its environment. I just let mine air dry under a roofed area that is open on 3 sides. I get below 15% moisture that way.

Been buying KD firewood since it became available from our regular supplier a 1/2 dozen years ago or so.
+$50 extra full cord. Well worth it. Kills the bugs, only have to clean the flues (furnace and kitchen cookstove) & chimney at the end of the year instead of also mid-winter. Hotter fire. etc. Someone told me "well they only dry it down to 20%" so i metered some occasionally. It's dryer than that. 15 - 18-ish range usually. Not sure how they do it at the price, will miss it when it's gone. Biggest problem for them is keeping help.

smt

I kiln dry some firewood. here is how. Just yesterday afternoon, it was too warm in the house so I decided to shut the stove down. There was plenty of coals in the box but decided to put some logs in anyway. This was 3Pm yesterday . This morning at 6AM , I go out there and the 3 logs were about half burned up. This lets me just put wood in intead of re lighting a fire. That wood that was in the box all night long starts up real quick and it's hot. If there is almost no coals in the box, just put some logs in anyway. The logs the next day will be charred but most certainly are kiln dried.

Back