Has anyone made a hoist or lift to help process firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassmantweed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello All. New guy here. Been reading on this site for a while but this is my 1st post.

i am just getting back into processing firewood after taking a break - kids. Mostly doing for fun and exercise. However my back aint what it used to be.

over the past two years I have fell about a dozen trees. They have been laying on my property and now I want to process them.

i have been dragging them to my driveway where I have my splitter.

finally to the point. When it comes to bucking I was wondering if there is a way to get the trees up to a more comfortable cutting height? I don’t want to spend a ton of $ so I was wondering if anyone had any creative ideas? Thinking a log arch might be a good investment.

maybe I’m over thinking it. 🤔

The log arch seems like it would be in the way of cutting.

How about a log jack? It gets the log off the ground. https://woodchucktool.com/dual
(the dual without the jack part is an excellent peavy/cant hook).

Some folks have made bucking tables. Dump the logs on it, buck it and roll the rounds right on to the splitter. You need a tractor with a grapple or some other way to get the logs up on the table. Ramp and a winch? Parbuckle the logs up ramps?

You should do exercises to strengthen your back. And core. Many back problems started with a weak core. I do some when I go to the gym. As I get older I need to do more.

The log arch seems like it would be in the way of cutting.

How about a log jack? It gets the log off the ground. https://woodchucktool.com/dual
(the dual without the jack part is an excellent peavy/cant hook).

Some folks have made bucking tables. Dump the logs on it, buck it and roll the rounds right on to the splitter. You need a tractor with a grapple or some other way to get the logs up on the table. Ramp and a winch? Parbuckle the logs up ramps?

You should do exercises to strengthen your back. And core. Many back problems started with a weak core. I do some when I go to the gym. As I get older I need to do more.

you raise a very good point about strengthening the core. It’s just that I am 6’6” and the logs I’m bucking are way down on the ground. But your advice is good. I think I’ll keep it simple and start with my core.

I think I’ll keep it simple and start with my core.
Put on some sweat pants and take a yoga class if your serious. Then empty your living room and burn all the furniture. Sit on the floor cross legged. Just a thought... Well, maybe give the furniture to good will or something.
I like using a log arch to move logs without dragging them. Not really a tool to lift them to cut however, unless you built an elevated dirt platform with a retaining wall side to it. Log arch logs up onto the mound. Then roll them over the retaining wall onto two rails with a sacrificial cutting table built on the front edge.

I use a simple tripod to get heavy things up off the ground. That and a Masdam come-a-long.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 61
I have also put logs on top of smaller rounds. But I find it's easiest to make my bucking cuts most of the way then roll the log over with the cant hook and finish the cuts, ideally by cutting up from the first cut so the cuts match.

If you're using a grapple to pick up logs you need a loader with enough capacity to lift the grapple and the largest log you want to lift up. My tractor has a 2200 lb lift capacity (to full height, it's more low down) and the grapple weighs 450. That leaves 1750 which is enough for a lot of logs but not all of them. I prefer to get the logs to the tractor (which may need chains, cables or a loging winch) then cut into 8' logs and carry those to my processing area. Some logs have been too large for the grapple to grab them. Those I have to buck up in the field and grab the rounds which is a lot less efficient. They make small grapples for sub-compact tractors that only weigh 250 lbs or so. But they can pick up less. To get 2000+ lbs loader capacity you'll need a tractor in the 30hp+ range.

Besides loader capacity you also need a tractor with enough weight to safely handle the loads you are picking up. You can add weigh to the rear.

I suppose Harbor Freight has a cheap bolt up gantry crane of some type. Log arch your logs to one spot. Use a pair of tongs, gantry with chain fall, or electric winch to lift. None of which makes sense because the round ends up back on the ground to be rehandled. It's all wasted effort. It's the same with forks on a tractor or mini excavator. Cut at a comfortable level, just to drop it on the ground. What's the point.

I suppose Harbor Freight has a cheap bolt up gantry crane of some type. Log arch your logs to one spot. Use a pair of tongs, gantry with chain fall, or electric winch to lift. None of which makes sense because the round ends up back on the ground to be rehandled. It's all wasted effort. It's the same with forks on a tractor or mini excavator. Cut at a comfortable level, just to drop it on the ground. What's the point.
Yeah. I tend to agree.

If I were in your work boots I would:
  • do stretches regularly
  • practice squatting to buck wood on the ground to avoid bending at the waist
  • get a cant and roll logs onto small rounds before bucking and/or
  • 3/4 cut one side then roll log over to finish the job.
I have a 40hp tractor loader for other purposes so it's a freebie for processing wood. The tractor introduces its own expenses, complications, and safety issues. A lawn tractor and cart can help alot.

maybe I’m over thinking it. 🤔
I'd say so. 😉 Maybe I missed it, but did you mention the size of these trees? A log arch isn't designed to lift logs in order to cut them. It'll lift them off the ground of course, but they're made for transporting the logs. They're not gonna get them very high, especially if these logs are of any significant size. The fitness advice is good. A combination of squats and pullups has saved my back. It's amazing how much difference it makes. I find myself kneeling more often to finish cuts on bigger logs on the ground, rather than bending over. Much easier on the back.

Back