Has anyone made a hoist or lift to help process firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to bucking I was wondering if there is a way to get the trees up to a more comfortable cutting height? I don’t want to spend a ton of $ so I was wondering if anyone had any creative ideas? Thinking a log arch might be a good investment.
Simple solution, get a Bow Bar Chain Saw and save your back. The bow saw is safe to work with if used properly. With the bow saw you stand up to cut and its a no brainier at keeping the bar out of the dirt. You simply rock the saw forward on the gig to finish the cut and that keeps the blade out of the dirt. Also the bar has more chain so the cutters stay sharper longer, your production will be better and faster.

I’m spoiled but a simple tripod of 4x4s or even an old swing set would work for you . I made the arch for my trailer but I have used it to cut too. The Kubota makes it super easy . I’m thinking of getting a bigger

not sure why it won’t post

I’m spoiled but a simple tripod of 4x4s or even an old swing set would work for you . I made the arch for my trailer but I have used it to cut too. The Kubota makes it super easy . I’m thinking of getting a bigger

not sure why it won’t post

Because it's a link to Facebook. On my browser I see the message "Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again". Ain't no way I am disabling those so Facebook can track me.

Nice log trailer and arch!

If I were in your work boots I would:
  • do stretches regularly
  • practice squatting to buck wood on the ground to avoid bending at the waist
  • get a cant and roll logs onto small rounds before bucking and/or
  • 3/4 cut one side then roll log over to finish the job.
I have a 40hp tractor loader for other purposes so it's a freebie for processing wood. The tractor introduces its own expenses, complications, and safety issues. A lawn tractor and cart can help alot.
I have not had any back issues in twenty years which even impresses me. Even at seventy. I am very close to 6' and never never try to do any work bending my back. I get up in the morning put on some knee pads as I always need them. For most logs that I cut to firewood size requires me to kneel down on my knee to cut. And no I do not even think that my legs need protection. Then I wonder if this is important but about twenty years ago I started stretching with crunches and stomach exercises at least 45 minutes every other day. Thanks

I will try to describe my system as it is different from most that I have seen. I have tried the arch lift system and found it full of problems. Those that have perfected its use have at it. They can work when things are set up just right. I have a Bobcat which works well and grabs logs just fine but how to get the tractor to the logs. It takes several days to get the tractor to any job and then several days to return it. It takes about four hours with no problems to deadhead it from truck to timber site. Then I have to have some one drive me back to my dump truck to put it away. Over all just not very practical.

I have two winches one a 10 HP gas driven with 600 feet of 7/16'' air craft cable. Then one that is about 2500 lbs that I bought new off of CL only $50. We do not have level ground here which is both good and bad. Instead of a arch I fabricated about a 4' by 6' cart which is quite heavy duty. Instead of tires with wheels I use just 4 auto wheels. I pull the cart along side any log that needs to be moved. Then I pile some limbs or scrap wood between log and cart. With the small electric winch and maybe a snatch block if needed I roll the log onto the cart strap it down and pull it next to splitting area. Or if wood and splitter are together I put the side boards on the cart and pile wood as high as possible to pull it where it is need rinse and repeat. The cart has hauled more wood than I can process in a day several times so I guess maybe 30,000 lbs. I forgot to mention this but I have not found any round of wood that the little 2,000 winch can not roll up on the splitter which eliminates any need for a lift. The splitter can charge the batteries about 15 amps at a time so with just a light weight winch no wood can not be elevated up on the splitter. Thanks

How big around are the logs, and what are you dragging them with?

A tractor and loader are EXTREMELY useful if you have any property to maintain. Once you have one, you'll be surprised at how many uses you find for it. Even a small 16hp tractor with a loader can generally lift 500 lbs. That's enough to lift most logs. Realistically, IF you are going to invest in a tractor, its normally best to get the biggest one that you can. I've got an old 25hp tractor and it would be nice to have one that's in the 30 to 35 range for running a bigger bushhog, and pulling ground implements for food plots. As mentioned by others though, the rounds end up back on the ground.

What is a good small tractor to look into. Smallest that you think would still be worth having?

I have a kubota B7100 that isn't quite big enough to pull a trailer with a cord of wood. I *do* like that it as a tiny turning radius. 16 HP. It runs out of traction, so putting larger tires on the trailer would help it get over bumps, stumps and roots.

I'm looking at a 22 HP replacement. You definitely want 4WD. Either get wheels that allow filling with calcium chloride or look at wheel weights. There is merit it having at least an ATV style winch to get yourself unstuck. A winch and a pulley on the bucket or hooked to an A-frame, give you a way to lift a log to a convenient height, but I suspect that it won't save time.

I tend to cut logs where they lay. My ground is irregular enough I can usually find an blade sized gap every 8-12 feet. Cut into logs, then use a peavy to roll it over.

Rounds are split using the stump as a splitting block (Yes, I hand split, but only about 8 cords a year. Stubborn rounds are stacked horizontally and I try again when it's very cold.

If you have a serious operation you need a trailer for hauling logs, and a tractor for loading the trailer, then a gang saw to cut them to length, and some form of automatic splitter and conveyor. Or you can buy logging trailer loads of logs from the guys who do this for a full time living.

Or you can become the leading job for high school boys.

Hello All. New guy here. Been reading on this site for a while but this is my 1st post.

i am just getting back into processing firewood after taking a break - kids. Mostly doing for fun and exercise. However my back aint what it used to be.

over the past two years I have fell about a dozen trees. They have been laying on my property and now I want to process them.

i have been dragging them to my driveway where I have my splitter.

finally to the point. When it comes to bucking I was wondering if there is a way to get the trees up to a more comfortable cutting height? I don’t want to spend a ton of $ so I was wondering if anyone had any creative ideas? Thinking a log arch might be a good investment.

maybe I’m over thinking it. 🤔
I cut on one knee.

SS Has a cool folding gantry, arch, winch. I have my CTL, and a tractor, so anything fallen gets minimal bucking and cuts to get it onto a table 16' long for cutting into rounds. I'm not 6'6", but I also am not going to cut bent over a log or on the ground if I don't have to. I don't even use the tractor really, I can put logs into the back of my JD Gators if I have lots of helpers that like to drive, otherwise- I grapple and move it to the table, I don't like to cut mud in the bark from dragging logs, so I don't.

Some one else had a picture of a tripod and 12 volt winch, looked inexpensive but also still too labor intensive.

I see 15-21hp tractors for sale with FEL's for $1500 to $3k all the time, even if the smallest of them only has a lift capacity of 600lbs, that's a lot of lifting and bending you can avoid. We're talking about machines that are less than 4' wide and maybe 8' long and 1200 to 1500 lbs weight. I'd be hunting up a CUT.

Hello All. New guy here. Been reading on this site for a while but this is my 1st post.

i am just getting back into processing firewood after taking a break - kids. Mostly doing for fun and exercise. However my back aint what it used to be.

over the past two years I have fell about a dozen trees. They have been laying on my property and now I want to process them.

i have been dragging them to my driveway where I have my splitter.

finally to the point. When it comes to bucking I was wondering if there is a way to get the trees up to a more comfortable cutting height? I don’t want to spend a ton of $ so I was wondering if anyone had any creative ideas? Thinking a log arch might be a good investment.

maybe I’m over thinking it. 🤔
If I missed it, I am sorry. What are you using to drag them to the driveway? Do you have room to build a ramp that leads to a flat area? You could drag them to that area, and if you use a PU truck, you could buy a portable winch from Harbor freight and mount it to an insert that you'd put in the hitch of the truck. Use that to pull them up the ramp to the flat spot that is only a couple of feet high. Have a wall built on one side of the ramp, so you can roll the logs to the edge of the wall and stand down below to cut them.

Do you own an atv or a lawn tractor? They make a small log hauler for an atv.

I'd say so. 😉 Maybe I missed it, but did you mention the size of these trees? A log arch isn't designed to lift logs in order to cut them. It'll lift them off the ground of course, but they're made for transporting the logs. They're not gonna get them very high, especially if these logs are of any significant size. The fitness advice is good. A combination of squats and pullups has saved my back. It's amazing how much difference it makes. I find myself kneeling more often to finish cuts on bigger logs on the ground, rather than bending over. Much easier on the back.
Obviously your knees aren't shot like mine. Getting down on them is slow and painful, getting back up is worse.

Latest posts

Back