Has anyone made a hoist or lift to help process firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a good small tractor to look into. Smallest that you think would still be worth having?
For me it made sense to buy the Kubota L2501, it does everything I need it to do and no emission BS
Dealer is 6 miles from my house,
0 interest for the life of the loan
5 year warranty
great resale value
Great price too , a good value for your dollar
I went with hydrostatic drive, it makes loader work so much easier
get quick attach so you can swap to the forks or grapple or what ever
I look at it like the Swills army knife of equipment
It saves my back and like I said before, if I didn't get this I would have to give up on wood.
Buy what you can afford, buy local if you can and have peace of mind in your dealer.

For me it made sense to buy the Kubota L2501, it does everything I need it to do and no emission BS
Dealer is 6 miles from my house,
0 interest for the life of the loan
5 year warranty
great resale value
Great price too , a good value for your dollar
I went with hydrostatic drive, it makes loader work so much easier
get quick attach so you can swap to the forks or grapple or what ever
I look at it like the Swills army knife of equipment
It saves my back and like I said before, if I didn't get this I would have to give up on wood.
Buy what you can afford, buy local if you can and have peace of mind in your dealer.

tractor is my next thing. Just trying to decide on brand. There’s an ls dealer right near me and you get a lot of tractor for the money but I’m sure the resale value is low compared to the big boys.

LS is a South Korean company which spun off out of LG. They've been selling tractors in the US for a while now.

I have a Branson (another Korean tractor) and a grapple that I could use to position rounds on the splitter. But I'd rather quarter big rounds by noodling and finishing with a maul. If I used the tractor to drop a big round on the splitter I'd still have to man handle the halves. My splitter has a table on one side but it's only so big, and it won't help at all with the other half. That's assuming the big round split all the way. Since the wedge is only 10" or so high, it might not. A 200 lb partly split round is going to be some trouble to deal with. To use tractor I'd have to go get it out of the barn and put the grapple on if it's not already mounted. It's faster to just noodle the rounds when I am bucking the log and have the saw right there.

But if it works for you, great. If you need an excuse to buy a tractor I'm not going to discourage that! The Branson has hauled a lot of logs for me.

I’m considering the John Deere 1025r. It’s def small but that also means it’s maneuverable. There aren’t cheap but I figure once I realize ok I’m an idiot I had no reason to buy this I can sell it and get most of my money back haha.

Those that need a tractor for moving wood around will find one useful. For loading wood on a splitter needs only a small winch or come a long. A hoist or tractor in my opinion is way more dangerous but those that want to do loading the hard way is their choice. Thanks

I can’t tell if this is serious or not?
That was what I was going to say. If your Doctor says stay away from work then get a longer tool. You will need to be very aware of where the wood meets the dirt,, you will get a feel for it or you will learn how to sharpen a saw chain or both. One thing you might do is mark/measure your cuts for length then cut most of the way through all the marks and jump to the middle somewhere and cut the log in half that way each half is lighter to roll over to finish the cuts.. A cant hook or peavey is your friend, and wedges help prevent pinches if needed. Using a longer bar will let you stand straighter and if you are using a smaller saw just realize you aren't trying to cut larger wood.

SS Has a cool folding gantry, arch, winch. I have my CTL, and a tractor, so anything fallen gets minimal bucking and cuts to get it onto a table 16' long for cutting into rounds. I'm not 6'6", but I also am not going to cut bent over a log or on the ground if I don't have to. I don't even use the tractor really, I can put logs into the back of my JD Gators if I have lots of helpers that like to drive, otherwise- I grapple and move it to the table, I don't like to cut mud in the bark from dragging logs, so I don't.

Some one else had a picture of a tripod and 12 volt winch, looked inexpensive but also still too labor intensive.
Dragging in the dirt is seldom mentioned but a very real problem. Hard on saws and other machinery. When logging timber we had a JD 350 crawler with a loader and winch. Most of the time we used a boom truck with fairly tall gin poles and a snatch block underslung by the hook. Snag it by the root and drag the butt. load with the crawler. the truck was faster dragging the crawler faster/safer loading. Used the crawler for making trails Pulled the boom truck like a trailer with light hook up used the brakes on the truck towing but DOT might frown on that nowadays. You really appreciated the tall gin poles when logging on the sandy Missouri bottoms. Some times we would let cottonwood sit a while then drop them to shake the sand off.

Latest posts

Back