Has anyone ran this saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I'll still buy their climbing gear. If someone is working for me, it is my responsibility to make sure they have what they need to do the job.
I remember when I was wanting to transition over to SRT, and the guy I was working for wouldn't pony up for the gear... probably only about 500 bucks of kit... and then buys a 50,000 dollar chipper the next week. Guarantee you me going SRT made him more money than that chipper...

I remember when I was wanting to transition over to SRT, and the guy I was working for wouldn't pony up for the gear... probably only about 500 bucks of kit... and then buys a 50,000 dollar chipper the next week. Guarantee you me going SRT made him more money than that chipper...

Depends. Maybe he needed something to claim depreciation on.

Chipper is a necessity. Your upgrade of climbing gear is a luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops, forgot to mention it was a second chipper

Ok, but how many crews is he running? Is the first chipper aging and requiring more work now? If this was recently I totally get it. Chippers are on an almost one year wait where I’m at. Maybe he jumped at an opportunity when it came up. We replaced ours a year early because one just happened to become available right after we demo’ed it

Ok, but how many crews is he running? Is the first chipper aging and requiring more work now? If this was recently I totally get it. Chippers are on an almost one year wait where I’m at. Maybe he jumped at an opportunity when it came up. We replaced ours a year early because one just happened to become available right after we demo’ed it

You are missing my point... a crew can only chip as fast as the climber can cut... the chipper is worthless until the wood is on the ground.

You are missing my point... a crew can only chip as fast as the climber can cut... the chipper is worthless until the wood is on the ground.

Sounds we are looking at it from two completely different perspectives though. You have gear to climb. You can limb out a tree currently. Large equipment replacement is independent of that.

Sounds we are looking at it from two completely different perspectives though. You have gear to climb. You can limb out a tree currently. Large equipment replacement is independent of that.

Yup, we are. Why would giving your climber the best equipment available not be as important as spending money on wood processing? Especially as it is pennies on the dollar? The limiting factor on most removals or trims is not the chipper, but usually how fast the climber can put it on the ground. So a few hundred bucks on better climbing gear to speed up your climber is a much better investment.

Chipper is a necessity. Your upgrade of climbing gear is a luxury.

chipper is not a necessity...
We rarely run a chipper.
There is a big company in Dayton, Ohio (10+ crews?). Last I knew, they had one chipper and the crews grumble when they have to take it.
Have another friend north of me who runs without a chipper.

I'll agree that gear to switch from MRS to SRS is a "luxury"...but why not keep the crew happy with $500 luxuries every few years. Not like the gear he already had holds an infinite life. Now, if he just asked for $500 of new climbing gear to upgrade his MRS system 3 months prior and was now asking for another $500 to switch systems, that would be a different story...

While this thread is about saws, same idea applies: buy what is going to keep things moving along and efficient and the crew happy. Nobody wants to run junk equipment that isn't reliable.

You better read the fine print on that warranty, I think it is 2 years if used professionally, home use maybe, but 5 years?
Jeff
Yea its all in how its registered and purchased. Since I'm not a company I registered it under my name and for residential use. They won't know any different. Honestly I don't expect any major issues with the saws they are echos after all.

Every logging employer I've worked for that supplyed safety gear, radios and saws, was a joke. Radios worked but batteries were at the end of service life, so you got about 2 hours of use before it would die. Then the safety glasses are always scratched up, chaps ripped, hard hats cracked and or dented with worn suspension parts. Then the saws has bars with worn out rails that wouldn't cut straight, powerheads that wouldn't idle, and some that had no working chain brakes. This was all from 6 different major logging outfits, multi million dollar tower yarder and tractor sides.

This is true. I have never had a job where the brush not getting chipped has held up the completion of the job. I worry about that aspect even less now with the grapple truck.

I think my “old” 250xp with plenty of options and the reliable JD 125hp turbo should be plenty for B crew to start. If we need some more equipment later in the year we’ll get it.

I would never Scrooge on something like climbing gear. Just doesn’t make sense.

I guess the biggest red flag about a new ground guy wanting to bring their own saw is .. well, just that. Less is more. We might not even let you run your saw if you’re annoying and don’t inspire confidence from the get go. Maybe you’re a weirdo? See what I’m saying?

Every logging employer I've worked for that supplyed safety gear, radios and saws, was a joke. Radios worked but batteries were at the end of service life, so you got about 2 hours of use before it would die. Then the safety glasses are always scratched up, chaps ripped, hard hats cracked and or dented with worn suspension parts. Then the saws has bars with worn out rails that wouldn't cut straight, powerheads that wouldn't idle, and some that had no working chain brakes. This was all from 6 different major logging outfits, multi million dollar tower yarder and tractor sides.
That sucks...they ate giving up a LOT of productivity an employee satisfaction by skimping on things that are pretty cheap to maintain/repair/replace.

2 of those jobs I quit due to not playing well with the others in the sandbox. The other 4 asked why I was leaving and I told them that their equipment is junk,, and a safety hazard. I get looked at like I'm from Jupiter, but you know what? I'm quite used to getting the run-around with employer's and that's why I'm a contractor now and make my own hours. The pay sucks being a contractor but I can make my own judgement calls.

Don't be too full of yourself. My climber was drt, went srt. It really didn't change how fast he worked while in the tree. He likes srt better, says its easier for him. Fact is 90% of our work is either done from a bucket or he sets a pull line.

Chipper wise I went from a bandit 90 to a morbark 17 w/ winch. Pines that took 2 days now take 3 or 4 hours. Used to be a hard day's work to fill the chip box 2x, now we can fill the chip box in 10 minutes. Several jobs I've rolled up, dropped tree, and winched in whole.

Yes, keep your guys properly equipped, but foot & knee assenders don't equal 170 hp chippers.

Don't be too full of yourself. My climber was drt, went srt. It really didn't change how fast he worked while in the tree. He likes srt better, says its easier for him. Fact is 90% of our work is either done from a bucket or he sets a pull line.

Chipper wise I went from a bandit 90 to a morbark 17 w/ winch. Pines that took 2 days now take 3 or 4 hours. Used to be a hard day's work to fill the chip box 2x, now we can fill the chip box in 10 minutes. Several jobs I've rolled up, dropped tree, and winched in whole.

Yes, keep your guys properly equipped, but foot & knee assenders don't equal 170 hp chippers.
Yeah, don't spend 500 bucks to make your climbers day better...

Back