Has anyone tried a RIPPA muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve never tried one but, I’m sure it would work fine. Just keep an eye on it if you are in a deep cut for a long time, it could potentially catch dry bark on fire, but it’s unlikely. People usually angle the outlets off to the side to prevent this. I’m guessing it doesn’t have spark screens, but that’s ok unless you are cutting where they are required.

Don’t forget to richen the carb after the install !

I’ve never tried one but, I’m sure it would work fine. Just keep an eye on it if you are in a deep cut for a long time, it could potentially catch dry bark on fire, but it’s unlikely. People usually angle the outlets off to the side to prevent this. I’m guessing it doesn’t have spark screens, but that’s ok unless you are cutting where they are required.

Don’t forget to richen the carb after the install !
Thanks man. Seems to already be running a bit lean. I plan to fix the limiting caps as well when I install the muffler.

Is it gutted or does it have a baffle? 2 strokes like some back pressure.

Is it gutted or does it have a baffle? 2 strokes like some back pressure.
Seller on Ebay states that there are no baffles. Duncan MFG, the manufacturer, states that their RIPPA mufflers are "Designed for maximum flow with the proper back pressure for increased HP."

I can't find a factory exhaust opening in the photos on Ebay. Makes me wonder if they might be using a muffler built to their specs, then adding the exhaust ports before selling....

Wish I had found Duncan Mfg's site before I bought. Might have saved some money. Oh well.

http://www.duncanmfg.com/

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how BP was calculated WO baffle?

There are only a very few muffler listings they have on Ebay with a link to feedback. Saw no complaints there. Seller shows 100% positive reviews. I thought about back pressure. The two exhaust ports in the muffler are not directly in line with the engine's exhaust port, and that could very well have some influence. it may be a few days, but I'll post a review after I've run it a bit.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how BP was calculated WO baff

I will share one point of interest for now, and it sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl. It's no wonder that I could not see the factory exhaust port in the Ebay photos, and I'll guarantee the stinking EPA is responsible. As some of you certainly already know, the factory exhaust port is in the back of the muffler, pointing towards the case. They welded a pretty good patch over that abomination, leaving only the two circular ports out the front, which they added.

I will share one point of interest for now, and it sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl. It's no wonder that I could not see the factory exhaust port in the Ebay photos, and I'll guarantee the stinking EPA is responsible. As some of you certainly already know, the factory exhaust port is in the back of the muffler, pointing towards the case. They welded a pretty good patch over that abomination, leaving only the two circular ports out the front, which they added.

I believe the stock 361 muffler has the one small hole exiting to the right of the saw. I’m sure they closed that one off and added those 2 ports in the front.

I believe the stock muffler uses a baffle inside. If you look inside the back of the muffler do you see a baffle? If not they most likely heated and uncrimped the muffler and removed it, then recrimped it back together

So they took a stock (probably aftermarket) two-piece muffler, covered the stock outlet, and put too small pipes out the front. So you’re really only gaining the second pipe worth of flow. Doesn’t seem excessive and should work fine with only minor tuning.

Be aware that front exit can catch bark on fire. Especially with short dogs. One of my 7900s as shown in my pic has a front exit muffler that one of the members here used to do c.2005-6-7 and while it flows great, it is definitely louder and catches things on fire in long, buried cuts, even with the greater standoff of the early 7900 space ninja dogs.

I believe the stock 361 muffler has the one small hole exiting to the right of the saw. I’m sure they closed that one off and added those 2 ports in the front.

I believe the stock muffler uses a baffle inside. If you look inside the back of the muffler do you see a baffle? If not they most likely heated and uncrimped the muffler and removed it, then recrimped it back together
Looking through the back side, I see no baffles or other restriction. Thanks.

Back