Has my wood chipper chipped its last branch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awmartin

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. I bought a house which had this wood chipper (Dr Chipper 16 HP C163) in the garage. I have no experience with much of anything, but somehow I finally got it running. Unfortunately, I believe that the clutch is bad as the engine runs but the part which is supposed to turn the belt doesn't move.

If this is a clutch, DR Chipper wants $450 for the part. The DR Chipper manual states that the shoes and springs within the clutch need to be replaced.

How much trouble am I in? Is it worth putting in more time and money into this or should I just buy another chipper?

I have uploaded a video to youtube of this running. I will try to embed it, although if that doesn't work you can find it here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. I bought a house which had this wood chipper (Dr Chipper 16 HP C163) in the garage. I have no experience with much of anything, but somehow I finally got it running. Unfortunately, I believe that the clutch is bad as the engine runs but the part which is supposed to turn the belt doesn't move.

If this is a clutch, DR Chipper wants $450 for the part. The DR Chipper manual states that the shoes and springs within the clutch need to be replaced.

How much trouble am I in? Is it worth putting in more time and money into this or should I just buy another chipper?

I have uploaded a video to youtube of this running. I will try to embed it, although if that doesn't work you can find it here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Maybe the clutch is seized. Try removing it from the engine and inspecting it. There should be little clearance between the shoes and drive cup. An alternative would be too put a pulley on it and run it straight from the engine. It could also not be a clutch but a keyed pulley and the key has been sheared off. If you Google DR chipper with model number and put pdf in the search you may find the owners manual and that may help you trouble shoot as well. It looks like a pulley to me and may need a new key.
Peace.

Maybe the clutch is seized. Try removing it from the engine and inspecting it. There should be little clearance between the shoes and drive cup. An alternative would be too put a pulley on it and run it straight from the engine. It could also not be a clutch but a keyed pulley and the key has been sheared off. If you Google DR chipper with model number and put pdf in the search you may find the owners manual and that may help you trouble shoot as well. It looks like a pulley to me and may need a new key.
Peace.

Hello Andrew,

Thank you very much for that information, it is very very helpful. I really appreciate the information. What is the easiest way to take off the clutch? I saw some DIY tool-less ways on youtube which involves putting something through the spark plug hole to stop the motor, although that was for much smaller engines. I haven't been able to find a Dr Chipper tool which would help remove the clutch. Do you know of any tools or any other ways to take a look inside at what the issue is?

Thanks again, you're information is very helpful.

Another Andrew

Can just source a 2 groove centrifugal clutch if it's bad.... may be able to source parts instead too. I doubt it's anything unique.

The engine needs to be rev'd up for it to engage... you're doing that, right?
It's purpose is so the engine can be started without the added drag of the chopper drum.

Unfortunately running it at full speed didn't cause it to turn, although I did hope that I was just dumb as this would have been solved. Thank you everyone for the help. I will spend a few hours later today getting to work on this and hopefully things will go ok.

Thanks again everyone. Have a great day.

Latest posts

Back