HD Air Filter Conversion Questions for 064/early 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GambierPoint

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased an 0lder 064 in great condition and ordered the 1122 007 1031 HD air filter conversion kit.
Upon receipt, the instructions suggest my older style carb (shown on the right in the flow chart below) is not supported without modifications.

Does anyone know what part # I need and where I can get it or better - can I operate the saw with the existing carb and HD filter kit without adding the sensing port and without damaging the engine?

Thanks for any help

Chainsaw Questions.jpg

Which carburetor is on your 064? That would be good to know. The compensating end cover is 1122 121 0805. (on the WJ-65, but you must have an earlier carb, because of no compensating end cover). To use this end cover you also need the 1124 121 9100 bushing (you call it black rubber boot in your pic) for it to seal in the air filter housing.

Thanks for the quick reply and additional info DND 9000. I will try to pull the carb part number today and possibly send a picture or two as well.

Do you have any idea why the compensating end cover would be mandatory when the HD air filter kit is added? Does the HD air filter change the requirements/operation of the carb, and if so what does the compensating cover plate provide to the older style carb which originally had the 1117 121 0800 cover plate installed?

I'm just trying to understand this so I don't make incorrect assumptions on what parts are required / can order the right parts and get cutting :)... Bought this saw and a chainsaw mill but I don't want to use put it to work until I have a good air filter set up (the original air filter was essentially screen with no flocking so I opted to get the HD conversion kit)

Thanks again for any insights you can share.

Thanks for the quick reply and additional info DND 9000. I will try to pull the carb part number today and possibly send a picture or two as well.

Do you have any idea why the compensating end cover would be mandatory when the HD air filter kit is added? Does the HD air filter change the requirements/operation of the carb, and if so what does the compensating cover plate provide to the older style carb which originally had the 1117 121 0800 cover plate installed?

I'm just trying to understand this so I don't make incorrect assumptions on what parts are required / can order the right parts and get cutting :)... Bought this saw and a chainsaw mill but I don't want to use put it to work until I have a good air filter set up (the original air filter was essentially screen with no flocking so I opted to get the HD conversion kit)

Thanks again for any insights you can share.

The original carb cover vents to inside carb housing.

The compensator cover vents to the inside of the air filter housing. As the air filter becomes dirty, the difference is now "sensed" by the carb so mixture does not become too rich. That's what the grommet is for on the compensator cover, to seal up to the air filter assy. If you don't run a compensator cover this hole needs to be blocked so sawdust is not sucked inside air filter.

Someone here should have the technical notes for the conversion that will explain things better.

They also made an "Australian" version of the HD filter for extreme dusty/dirty conditions.

See illustration N on the IPL for HD filter parts conversion kit, #15-23. This is an older IPL

Attachments

• 064 - 1122.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Ok, that makes perfect sense. Thanks to you both for the help!

I will likely cover the hole in the short term so I can get cutting (and keep a close eye on the filter) but will order the 2 parts I need to do this correctly. I welcome the technical notes if anyone monitoring this thread has them.

I am new to the site and a newbie with respect to small engines and chainsaw milling. I am very impressed by the site including the depth of information and support offered in the forums. Many thanks to you both and to the people/mods who make this site possible!

Ok, that makes perfect sense. Thanks to you both for the help!

I will likely cover the hole in the short term so I can get cutting (and keep a close eye on the filter) but will order the 2 parts I need to do this correctly. I welcome the technical notes if anyone monitoring this thread has them.

I am new to the site and a newbie with respect to small engines and chainsaw milling. I am very impressed by the site including the depth of information and support offered in the forums. Many thanks to you both and to the people/mods who make this site possible!

Welcome!

Get yourself to the milling forum for those questions. Lots of preferences/ideas on bars and chains, ripping chains, different types of mills. Also, how to mill what type of wood and care for the product.

I mill with an 066 or 056M and Logosol M5 mill. I might be able to help with some saw and milling questions.

Thanks and will do. Picked up a Grandberg 24" chainsaw mill with the 064 and am waiting for my ripping chain to come in as well as some slabbing brackets. I will head over to the milling section for tips and advice - I'm sure I will need it after I get a little experience with the setup. Eventually I may graduate to something bigger/better but this is a good starting point for my needs.

Cheers

DND 9000 - For what it is worth, the carb looks to be a WJ6A K6 version. Here are a few pictures of the carb, saw and the original filter. Serial number on the saw is 116542042 which tells me little other than it was made in your fine country!

Attachments

• 20191103_143129.jpg
    20191103_143129.jpg
    832 KB · Views: 16
  • 20191103_143201.jpg
    20191103_143201.jpg
    771.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20191103_143330.jpg
    20191103_143330.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191103_143704.jpg
    20191103_143704.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20191103_143805.jpg
    20191103_143805.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 20191103_143811.jpg
    20191103_143811.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Thank you for the info. I think the compensating cover fits your carburetor. The metering diaphragm gasket is the same on your old one and the newer one and they also look the same. Please compare it in reality if you have the cover. I don`t have these parts here.

Attachments

• Carburetor WJ-6A.pdf
    303.8 KB · Views: 6
Google Translate is challenging unfortunately but everything is clear from the diagrams with the exception of the bottom right picture on the 3rd page.

Just one question if I may. When I install the compensating top-end cover do I need to replace the inlet needle assembly? I don't think so but the presence of that diagram has me wondering. I'm planning on ordering a new metering diaphragm and gasket as insurance but think that is all I need to swap out the old top-end cover for the new compensating cover.

Google Translate is challenging unfortunately but everything is clear from the diagrams with the exception of the bottom right picture on the 3rd page.

Just one question if I may. When I install the compensating top-end cover do I need to replace the inlet needle assembly? I don't think so but the presence of that diagram has me wondering. I'm planning on ordering a new metering diaphragm and gasket as insurance but think that is all I need to swap out the old top-end cover for the new compensating cover.

I think the carb internals are the same? Might want to do the whole carb kit if it has not been apart. Pump side diaphragms get tiered too. Kit will also have inlet screen.

I've swapped just covers on 026/036 carbs

That is the metering valve assy. It's under the metering diaphragm. Check the height of lever, diaphragm, needle/valve seat, and seat in carb body.

I had to learn German, to get my PHD (chemistry).

Latest posts

Back