Heatmor 200css

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey clagg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys a little help. I had a shavers 290 and it rotted out last year. I bought a heatmor 200 and have had running for 3 weeks. My gauge on the front of the water jackets says 185* when the fan kicks out and approximately 170 or so when the fan kicks on. I have two zones. On the first zone my water temp is 170-173 coming from the pump and return is 155-160 when the furnace in the house is on. But I’m having trouble keeping the house above 68-69. I had a 2200sq modular. I never had trouble heating with the shavers. I have triple wrapped insulated pex. Is there something I’m missing. The only thing I can think on is the way the previous owner had it plumbed I had to add 4 90* fittings to hook to what I already had. The stove is full of sand and water. Also it has reflective barrier under the stove. All pex and copper lines on the back of the stove is insulated. Do I just not have the storage or do I have to many 90s restricting the flow? Also I am using oak hickory and ash it’s pretty green maybe 6 months since it’s been cut

Your losing a pretty fair amount of heat if it is leaving the boiler at 185 and coming into the house at 173. I lose 1-3 degrees on a 100 foot run. The 90's will make a flow difference especially if close but so will the wrong or a plugged coil. 200 ss should be plenty big enough to keep you super warm. Semi green wood in that stove just means you go through more of it. I'd also check to see if the flow rate on the pump is a little lighter.

Your losing a pretty fair amount of heat if it is leaving the boiler at 185 and coming into the house at 173. I lose 1-3 degrees on a 100 foot run. The 90's will make a flow difference especially if close but so will the wrong or a plugged coil. 200 ss should be plenty big enough to keep you super warm. Semi green wood in that stove just means you go through more of it. I'd also check to see if the flow rate on the pump is a little lighter.
I’m not for sure what the temp is from the boiler to the house both my thermometers are on the boiler one at the pump and one at the return on the stove. I replaced the pump that was on it because it still had the check valve in it and was stuck. I replaced it with a 3 speed badger. According to the thermometer I’m only loosing around 15* with the heat load from the house round trip.

I have a Heatmor 200 css and have no problem heating my ranch house with walk out basement (I heat both and get my domestic)
Elaborate on your indoor furnace setup. Forced hot air with a water to air HX or a water to water HX?
I have a 20x20 HX in the plenum of my hot air furnace, another one with a blower built into the wall for the basement and a 10 plate for my domestic, I never have any issues and it's -2 right now.
I have 1.25" lines coming from the boiler and my circulator is inside and runs 24/7. I have my set points at 165 to 175. I have 1" pex in the utility room feeding everything. I have never checked my temps other than holding my hand on the two pipes inside, they are plenty warm.
I also only burn dry wood and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't use a lot.

I have a Heatmor 200 css and have no problem heating my ranch house with walk out basement (I heat both and get my domestic)
Elaborate on your indoor furnace setup. Forced hot air with a water to air HX or a water to water HX?
I have a 20x20 HX in the plenum of my hot air furnace, another one with a blower built into the wall for the basement and a 10 plate for my domestic, I never have any issues and it's -2 right now.
I have 1.25" lines coming from the boiler and my circulator is inside and runs 24/7. I have my set points at 165 to 175. I have 1" pex in the utility room feeding everything. I have never checked my temps other than holding my hand on the two pipes inside, they are plenty warm.
I also only burn dry wood and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't use a lot.
I have a 18x18 or 20x20 exchanger under my furnace as it is a down draft. I have 1” pex from the boiler. The stove is operating as it should and my pumps run 24/7. I am leaning toward ripping the copper lines the previous owner installed. The copper lines themselves just to get to the pumps have several 90* elbows. I’m just wondering if that close to the pump it is restricting my flow to much for the house to keep up. Keep in mind I didn’t have this issue with my shavers and I didn’t do enough in my mind to the plumbing to cause a problem.

I have a 18x18 or 20x20 exchanger under my furnace as it is a down draft. I have 1” pex from the boiler. The stove is operating as it should and my pumps run 24/7. I am leaning toward ripping the copper lines the previous owner installed. The copper lines themselves just to get to the pumps have several 90* elbows. I’m just wondering if that close to the pump it is restricting my flow to much for the house to keep up. Keep in mind I didn’t have this issue with my shavers and I didn’t do enough in my mind to the plumbing to cause a problem.
Can you post a picture of the back of your stove where the pump is? I don't even have insulation on my pipes back there but like I said I have my pump in the house.
I wouldn't think the elbows are the culprit but who knows. When was the last time you cleaned the flu from the back? Do you have the in and out proper?

I realize the pump is new, but maybe it's a lemon. Slow pump would cause some of the troubles you describe. Unhook a line and check the flow.

Can you post a picture of the back of your stove where the pump is? I don't even have insulation on my pipes back there but like I said I have my pump in the house.
I wouldn't think the elbows are the culprit but who knows. When was the last time you cleaned the flu from the back? Do you have the in and out proper?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
I have yet to clean the flue, but it is burning good and keeping temp in the water jacket I would assume if the flue was somewhat plugged it wouldn’t draft/ burn right.

I have yet to clean the flue, but it is burning good and keeping temp in the water jacket I would assume if the flue was somewhat plugged it wouldn’t draft/ burn right.
I guess I worded that wrong, I was talking about the one that runs along the top and has an access panel in the top rear. If you say the unit is keeping up to temp then it's probably fine. I don't know what to tell you at this point. How is the heat in the garage? I also am running a larger single speed Taco pump.

I guess I worded that wrong, I was talking about the one that runs along the top and has an access panel in the top rear. If you say the unit is keeping up to temp then it's probably fine. I don't know what to tell you at this point. How is the heat in the garage? I also am running a larger single speed Taco pump.
The garage is fine but also well insulated and only 1000sq. I have yet to open the access door and check the flue. I think after season I’m going to take all the copper out and redo the plumbing without all the 90s.

That wrapped pipe is very prone to failure. Can be gradual over time, depending on the speed of moisture intrusion. 15° is a lot to lose to the ground.

That wrapped pipe is very prone to failure. Can be gradual over time, depending on the speed of moisture intrusion. 15° is a lot to lose to the ground.
The insulation goes bad? The pipe is maybe 5yrs old if I would’ve know that’s a possibility I would’ve sprung for some better pipe. I know it depends but on average how much heat loss should I have round trip from the stove and back with the furnace on... with no heat load whatsoever I’m still loosing around 5*

I lose 1-3 degrees on a 100' run and my boiler shuts off 7 degree warmer than yours.

Edit: I just measured it now and 183.1 leaving the pump on the stove and 181.4 entering my exchanger. I'm running thermo pex buried at 30 or so inches. My run is just under 100'.

I lose 1-3 degrees on a 100' run and my boiler shuts off 7 degree warmer than yours.

Edit: I just measured it now and 183.1 leaving the pump on the stove and 181.4 entering my exchanger. I'm running thermo pex buried at 30 or so inches. My run is just under 100'.
I am measuring my heat loss from the pump to the return at the boiler with heat load. My run is 70-80ft

Latest posts

Back