Heatmor 200css

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That wrapped pipe is very prone to failure. Can be gradual over time, depending on the speed of moisture intrusion. 15° is a lot to lose to the ground.

I saw a nice writeup on another site where a guy trenched, sprayed in polyurethane foam (same kind you use to do a wall) laid the pex, and then ran polyurethane foam on top of it again.

Looked pretty cozy for the water lines, but would be a lot of work to retrofit. (I guess you could trench next to your lines, then shovel all the dirt over into the trench to clear out the lines?)

I saw a nice writeup on another site where a guy trenched, sprayed in polyurethane foam (same kind you use to do a wall) laid the pex, and then ran polyurethane foam on top of it again.

Looked pretty cozy for the water lines, but would be a lot of work to retrofit. (I guess you could trench next to your lines, then shovel all the dirt over into the trench to clear out the lines?)
Thinking about digging mine up this spring and drilling holes in the outer pipe to fill with spray foam. Any heat loss savings would pay off...

The insulation goes bad? The pipe is maybe 5yrs old if I would’ve know that’s a possibility I would’ve sprung for some better pipe. I know it depends but on average how much heat loss should I have round trip from the stove and back with the furnace on... with no heat load whatsoever I’m still loosing around 5*
It is made of foam that can absorb moisture. Not a good thing underground. Thermopex or the like uses a solid block of closed cell foam around the pipe. Much better. And more expensive, but worth it IMO.

1" Pex will flow about 9 gallons a min max with normal temps and standard coil drops that is 85K BTU's. Sounds like you need more flow...

Back