heiss heaters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIman

Reaction score
I've had a Heiss Heater for a few months now. Its the middle sized unit. I started having problems from the get go. I have cracking in the concrete, leaking smoke around the warped door, copper pipe showing inside the firebox, chunks of concrete breaking off, and crumbling in my hands.
Note, I've had this a few months. Not years, Months. This hasn't even made it through one season!!!
I had an HVAC tech look at mine, and the first thing he noticed was the lack of pressure relief valve.
I go through more wood than I went through with my last boiler. And thats after adding insulation to my house this year!
The pump they recommend is not big enough. We had to purchase a larger pump. The multiple elbows in the copper, extend the amount of pressure you need to push the water. Each elbow adds 30ft and that means you have about 500-600 ft.
I have a friend who bought a larger unit after I bought mine. He cannot even use his anymore. His pipe burst inside the cement and he couldn't get heat off the unit. Now he is burning fuel oil again to keep warm.
Heiss is not standing behind their warranties. My friend didn't even get a warranty. I was "luckier" although they refuse to admit anything is wrong with my unit, still, and won't replace the warped door either.

Cheaper is NOT always better! Unless you want to buy a new one every year!

I have a standard type OWB I saw these units a few months ago and wondered how they were selling them so cheap... saw the design really didnt see how it could be efficient with no insulation what so ever.... Sorry to hear about your bad luck hopefully they give you a refund. I bought my unit from a fabricator in carson city if your interested in a different unit I can get you his number I've had good luck with mine on my 4th heating season with it.

Many improvements have been made

I bought a model 3000 in October of 2010 and have had some issues with mine as well. The door was poorly made and I was concerned about the cracks in the concrete. They were out the very next day and becuase of customers concerns of the old doors they have made new doors that are 10 times as better. They replaced my old door with a new improved after market door and problem solved. The issue with the old door was they were installed into the concrete. Now they are installed as a complete iron piece so the hinges and latch are in the iron as opposed to the concrete.

As someone already stated the cracks are to be expected. Because of these cracks they now make it standard to insulate the walls excluding the front of the system. I've been very satisfied since they have addressed my concerns and would recommend this product to anyone.

my unit is 1 year old..the outside cracked all over i can see mesh on the inside of the unit, it started to leak i added boiler stop leak to it and hasn't leaked since..

the door sucks, i still have the original door but i made my own latch out of a piece of strut

i insulated mine with 1.5" foam then stucco

i still say for the price it cant be beat... i heat 1700sqft unlimited hot water and the floors in my master bath...it does eat alot of wood

they say its a 10 year warranty on the unit, i honestly don't think ill get 10 years out of it, when its beyond repair ill build my own

Do you guys see now that they have gassers. I wonder how those will work out.

Sorry about all your troubles. I thought these things were a good idea when I first heard of them. I'm glad now that I didn't buy one. It is too bad that guys like you have to pay good money to be "field testers".

Always a bummer to read about guys getting a bit cheated when they put their hard earned money down, cut all that wood and end up dissapointed with the product.

Always a bummer to read about guys getting a bit cheated when they put their hard earned money down, cut all that wood and end up dissapointed with the product.[/Q I havent had a problem and they tell me i have one of the first ones. They also upgraded my door and have been here for me since the start. These guys had to start somewhere and they used every customers input to make the units they have now make me jealous. They use refractory now that is better suited for the heat, insulate the heater and the door and updated all of the controls. I may trade in my old for a new.

lol thats all i can say

I see you responded almost exactly the same way in the other Heiss thread. Don't you think a more detailed response with your personal thoughts or professional observations would be helpful than just a snide "LOL?" Or are you just coming from the I told you so type angle?

umm i would rather not say to much you know theres a thing called slander i mean i know what i would want to say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i might have to take them to court and i dont want to mess up my case ,

Back